Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime

Old 09-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Horror Fan

Exclamation Occult clown phenomenon sweeping US

Starting a new thread on this alarming and creepy new trend. Will update as news breaks.

Last week reports emerged that a coven of clowns are trying to lure children into woods and scaring people in Greenville, South Carolina.

Quote:
Mystery clowns bring fear to South Carolina town

Residents of a small town in South Carolina have been told to call the police if they see a clown, following reports that people donning luminous noses and oversized shoes may be trying to lure children into a nearby woods

Parents are on alert after a number of mysterious sightings of clowns standing near basketball courts, in woodlands and under streetlights in and around Greenville.

Ryan Flood, a master deputy with the Greenville County sheriff's office told the Telegraph that they were taking the reports very seriously.

"These kids have notified their parents they saw these clowns near the woods. The clowns had lasers and a lot of cash," he said. "Our view is to take it seriously in case there is someone dressed as a clown trying to lure them away."

Mr Flood said that their investigations and patrols had found no evidence to support the claims yet: "We haven't found any clown costume stuff or irregular footprints or other indicators," he said.

But police have begun daily patrols near Fleetwood Manor Apartments, where a number of parents said their children had come home with stories of speaking to clowns.

There have been "a lot of complaints to the office regarding a clown or a person dressed in clown clothing taking children or trying to lure children in the woods," the administrators of Fleetwood Manor Apartments wrote to residents in a note slipped under their doors.

Donna Arnold, one of the residents, said she called the Greenville County Sheriff's Office because her son told her he had seen a clown behind the basketball court.

“I thought my child was seeing things," Mrs Arnold told a local news channel. "And then the next day I had about 30 kids come up to me and say, ‘Did you see the clown in the woods?”

The sightings began earlier this month when a resident, who is not named, told the police that her son had seen clowns “whispering and making strange noises” in the nearby woods, according to an incident report.

The resident said she later saw “several clowns in the woods flashing green laser lights.” The figures then ran away into the woods. And then, the following night, at about 10.30pm the woman said that her elder son heard "chains and banging" at their front door.

A day later, on 20 August, at around 2.30am another resident said she came across a “a large-figured clown with a blinking nose", standing under a post light near the garbage dumpster area.” She said the clown waved at her so she waved back and kept walking.

Police however also interviewed children who told them clowns tried "to persuade them into the woods further by displaying large amounts of money."

The children said they believed that the clowns lived in a house near a pond at the end of a trail in the woods.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...carolina-town/

To reiterate, apparently it is not just one lone wolf having fun but a coordinated and planned group effort:

Quote:
> One resident said she was in front of her apartment one evening when one of her sons "approached her and stated that he [had] seen clowns in the woods whispering and making strange noises."

The resident added that she "went over to the area that her son mentioned and observed several clowns in the woods flashing green laser lights" before seeing them run off.

Another resident said she was walking to her residence one morning when she "saw a large-figured clown with a blinking nose, standing under a post light near the garbage dumpster area."

She said that the clown "waved at her and she waved back while she made her way to her residence safely," according to the incident report. "The suspect did not approach her or harm her."

Last edited by MichaelMyers; 09-01-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:39 PM
Horror Fan

Exclamation

I figured this was viral marketing or an isolated event. Then I see it occurred again yesterday elsewhere in South Carolina. The sightings are spreading statewide. My contact in SC is saying they have been sighted at three different apartment complexes.

Quote:
South Carolina clown sightings starting to spread

GREENVILLE, S.C. — Multiple law enforcement agencies are investigating a rash of incidents involving clown sighting at apartment complexes and other areas of Greenville and Spartanburg counties, according to WHNS.

Both the Greenville Police Department and Greenville County Sheriff’s Office have open cases and the Spartanburg Police Department confirmed Thursday that a clown sighting had been reported at an apartment complex there.

Captain Art Littlejohn with the Spartanburg Police Department said officers were called to Canaan Pointe Apartments Wednesday night for reports of a suspicious person. The complainant, a woman, told officers that a person dresses as a clown was standing in her back yard.

She snapped a photo and the person ran off. Littlejohn said the responding officer tried to view the photo on the woman’s phone but the image was too dark to make out.

Deputies in Greenville County said the clowns were initially seen in wooded areas, where they reportedly tried to encourage children to join them, but the situation escalated to reports that clowns were also knocking on the doors of homes.
http://myfox8.com/2016/09/01/south-c...ing-to-spread/

Quote:
New clown sighting in Spartanburg, standing in backyard

There has been another clown sighting. This time in Spartanburg.

Police responded to a suspicious person call last night around 10:25 at Canaan Pointe Apartments.

The caller said the person was dressed as a clown and was standing in her backyard.

She said she took a picture of the clown and he ran away.

Police say the photo was too dark to make out an image.

Police weren’t able to find the clown.
http://wspa.com/2016/09/01/new-clown...n-spartanburg/

Edit: Per Twitter, a rumored photo of some of the clowns:

Last edited by MichaelMyers; 09-01-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Horror Fan

Finally this afternoon I read that a masked clown is chasing people at a bus stop near a wooded area in Ohio.

Quote:
CCS officials say person in clown mask with a knife chased student

Police will be monitoring a north Columbus bus stop this morning after one student said a person in a clown mask chased him with a knife.

The 14-year-old boy was headed to the bus stop Tuesday morning near Sandalwood Place on his way to school at Columbus North International School. He said around 6:15 a.m., a guy in a clown mask, dressed in all black, chased him with a knife.

Moms in that neighborhood said they’re reminding their kids to pay attention and follow their gut.

“I thought it was crazy!” said mom of two Tombi Williams, who lives in the neighborhood where it happened.
http://nbc4i.com/2016/08/31/ccs-offi...hased-student/

And in a Chicago cemetery a few months ago, another clown was caught on video:

Quote:
A clown was recently sighted in a Chicago cemetery late at night, raising questions and alarm among many locals. A couple saw and recorded the brief encounter with the colorful creeper. As Dave Savini of CBS Chicago reported:

“The cell phone video tells it all: A person dressed in a clown suit, trespassing at historic Rosehill Cemetery in the dead of night. Julia Graham says she was ‘freaked out’ at the figure as it ran toward the main gate. She and her husband were driving by around 10 p.m. ‘When we get closer, we realize it’s a clown, which is super weird,’ she says. The first picture her husband snapped was of the clown scaling the 7-foot-tall gate at the Ravenswood Avenue entrance.”

The clown apparently stood in front of the cemetery waiting to be illuminated by the headlights of a passing car. Once he (or, possibly, she) was seen, the clown paused, waved slowly for maximum creepy effect — likely inspired by the famous scary film clown Pennywise of Stephen King’s novel and TV miniseries “It” — then scaled the gate and ran away.

Officials investigated and found no vandalism in the cemetery — just a clown waiting for an audience.
http://www.seeker.com/creepy-clown-s...770066555.html

Video of the Chicago clown via YouTube:

Last edited by MichaelMyers; 09-01-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Horror Fan

Question

Thus the evidence points to these clown sightings as a nationwide event.

What do you think these clown mobs are intending to accomplish by menacing the public? Are they breaking a law?

Is this a form of terrorism, and should President Obama and Homeland Security now take action debriefing the public on what they know and when they knew it?

Most important, is the supernatural and/or occult involved (note that the authorities have not been able to locate the "persons" dressing as clowns, despite large dragnets and manhunts)?

Last edited by MichaelMyers; 09-01-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:15 PM
This is a test

Why am I thinking I recently heard something about a clown movie coming out soon. Was it Deadbeat? Do you think it's a publicity stunt of some kind?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
Why am I thinking I recently heard something about a clown movie coming out soon. Was it Deadbeat? Do you think it's a publicity stunt of some kind?
Can't rule that out. Perhaps. Rob Zombie released this film today, featuring evil clowns. Nobody knew because, well, it's Rob Zombie.

But I don't think people would risk arrest, detention, or deportation for such a stunt. No, I suspect something more sinister is afoot.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Evil Dead

Cooool!!!! Now I know what I wanna do when I grow up!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:29 PM
This is a test

Creepy for sure, but other than appearing "odd" they actually haven't done any thing yet. Trying to lure children but not actually doing it, etc. This is definitely intriguing.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:21 PM
I am the turtle lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Bad Things View Post
Cooool!!!! Now I know what I wanna do when I grow up!
What, be part of the radical clown group? These could be kidnappers (no shit Sherlock) or child molesters. So far they have been trying lure young children into the woodland with money. If I was living there and one of those mugs attempted to steal my kid (If I had one) I would shoot the bastard. That or use a shrink spell on them and then squish them.

Last edited by anglewitch; 09-01-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 PM
ventricle

yea, where's our drugs?