Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Coven of the Bloodsisters

Send a message via Yahoo to Alucard the Risen
Thor: The Dark World with the lady.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Now she has us.

Pacific Rim.

fantastic popcorn film.. loads of great cgi and action. Love monster films.

<CENTER>
http://www.horror.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2020_5.gif</CENTER>

Old 11-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
The Conjuring
Old 11-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Evil Dead

Over the last couple days I watched:

Hell, a German post-apocalyptic film. Heavily reminiscent of The Road, but not as bleak, and since it wasn't as bleak, it just wasn't as gripping. Not bad though, it was well staged and decently acted and directed and had some tense moments. I would call it a low calorie edition of The Road. Surprisingly light on blood given the brutal setting and a major element of cannibalism.

House of Voices, an haunted orphanage movie by Pascal Laugier, who went on to direct Martyrs. Not a bad contribution to this haunted orphanage subgenre, although not hugely original. Very competently directed film, it's hard to believe its Laugier's first. It's not overly flashy but not flat either. It has some tense moments, but it isn't especially horrific for a horror film, but restraint in this genre is always a good thing. To put it another way, it's kinda dark but doesn't have much in the way of scares or boo moments, it is about atmosphere and mood. There is hardly any blood or violence despite being from the same director of Martyrs. The production is polished, and everything looks first rate. However, this movie doesn't have many surprises for those who have seen El Orfanato or the Devil's Backbone. I felt the screenplay was a bit light on establishing character motivations as well. Still, it is a handsome atmospheric film with a nice soundtrack which is worth watching for anyone interested in a more subtle haunting film. Even though this is a French Production, the dialogue is in English.

The Tall Man, the movie Pascal Laugier did after Martyrs. Despite its marketing, this is just barely a horror film, which isn't to say it is bad. It starts as a boogeyman movie like so many others, but it moves out of the conventions of that genre pretty soon. The star is Jessica Biel who is actually able to carry this movie in a shockingly good performance. The story has its fair share of turns and twists, in this sense it reminds me of an M Night Schyamalan movie. However the surprise ending poses a pretty ballsy socio-political question that I doubt Schyamalan would be willing to approach. The movies main asset is its curve ball plot, and is assisted by solid direction, a nicely articulated setting, and great performances. It is an unpredictable ride and ends up in an implausible place though. Again, unlike the director's previous movie, not bloody at all. It is an involving movie, so I would say it is worth watching.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Horror Fan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamahorrorfan87 View Post
The Conjuring
What'd you think.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:43 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard the Risen View Post
Thor: The Dark World with the lady.
How was it? I'm looking forward to it.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Coven of the Bloodsisters

Send a message via Yahoo to Alucard the Risen
It was a very well done movie, the interactions between Thor and Loki were damned hilarious at times.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Evil Dead

I ended up seeing The Conjuring tonight. What can I say, it was a well-executed retelling of a well-worn and routine horror story. I didn't feel it was bad, it was an adept stab at the haunted house formula. The Conjuring was not ambitious or original, but it was expertly done and made a ton of money, and now I fear we will be faced with yet many more attempts at this subgenre due to its success, and what's worse is it is not likely to be topped. I can almost see a tidal wave of cheap video-on-demand haunted house movies rushing swiftly to shore, and we will all be drowned in mediocrity.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Evil Dead

'Crooked House'- A Made-for-TV British film with the structure of one of those old Hammer or Amicus horror anthologies. The stories concern the happenings throughout the years at an old house built in the 1600s. Not a bad movie, and pretty well staged considering it's made for TV. It certainly isn't a major addition to the genre of anthologies or haunted house movies, and it isn't a must-see, but it's not a bad way to while away the time, and would be of special interest to fans of those old British horror anthologies as an homage and a contemporary take on the genre.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

^I liked Crooked House but I can't for the life of me remember anything about it (except for Mark Gastis).

Sunset Blvd. (1950)

Flawless Film Noir - A down on his luck writer ends up getting involved with an aging ex-film star (the latter played by Gloria Swanson who steals the show). A must see.

Tags
movie