Old 08-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Horror writer

Horror markets for writers

Hi there
I thought we could have a thread regarding horror markets that are open for submission, for example, upcoming anthologies, respected magazines/ezines, and other call for submissions. Sorry if such a thread already exists, I couldn't find one.

I used to use Duotrope, but it's just not worth it for me since they have started charging for a subscription. There is also Ralan, which is free, but the format is so unintuitive I find it almost impossible to extract information from there.

So, please post if you have any good links or suggestions for websites or other tips or information about horror writing markets. Also, if you have any warnings about scams or black holes, post them here too.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Cranky

Even though I'm unemployed and scrmping, I find the $5 a month duotrope charges to be a pitance for the amount of info it offers. Just today I found a potential market there for a short ghost story I'm trying to place.

I also find ralan to be very easy to use and have found several markets there. To each their own, I guess.

In addition I find a lot of info through networking on Facebook, and open market groups on FB.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Horror writer

Hey neverending
Yes, I was being unfairly harsh about Ralan, but I do find it difficult to use. But I very much appreciate the price.
And I was thinking about joining Duotrope for the purpose of spurring me into doing more writing to try to get it to pay for itself.
I need to work on my facebook networking skills. I don't have any friends or contacts interesting in writing yet (I am a programmer so all my friends are game nerds). Hehe

Tags
anthologies, horror, magazines, markets, writing