Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Evil Dead

Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her "our little genius."

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favorite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.

Very disappointing. The novel's blurb sounds interesting.
I enjoyed very much Mike Carey's Felix Castor series. The Steel
Seraglio was alright. So I expected a decent read here. It wasn't
obviously. The writing is mediocre. However this can be ignored if
the story and characters are worth it. They're not, they're card board
cut outs. Very little depth, filling generic roles we've seen lots of times before. Sympathetic woman. Confused child. Mean/detached doctor/nurse. Rugged, mean Sargent. Etc. As you read the book the author takes two of the currently, probably, most popular themes for the past 5 years and used them. The obvious first one is post-apocalyptic. The second is explained about 1/5th into the book so I won't ruin it if you decided to read this book. The story is not original. The story is not a good interpretation of an often used idea. Pass on this one.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:34 AM
Evil Dead

TERRORS OF THE SCREEN-Frank Manchel. As said previously, found this at the little library at Fort Baker CA (right across from San Francisco Bay) in the summer of 1971. My nine year old self had about five FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND and one CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN and had some back history with actors/films, but this gave me a crash course from the turn of the century up to 1968 with films/people I had never heard of like THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI, NOSFERATU, M, James Whale and Val Lewton. It also helped that my local CREATURE FEATURES was having a "90 Day Freeze" showing Double Features of mainly old Universals at about the same time.

After seeing a copy for sale on CREEPY CLASSICS.COM, I had to place an order, probably more for nostalgia sakes than anything else. While I still enjoyed it very much (especially all the photos which so captivated me back then), found it very academically written, almost a McFarland type tome, without the sense of fun many horror histories benefit from. Some goofs and a tendency to throw in spoilers (especially PSYCHO) lessened the books qualities. But to be fair, no Internet back than, so he was probably relying on memory/notes and this is one of the earlier Horror film histories that I know of (Manchel lists some recommended books in the back. some of which I liked very much, especially the Carlos Claren ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF THE HORROR FILM). So worth checking out and while it hasn't aged well. still takes me back to the little boy who was embarking on a new, exciting and lifelong love affair.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:54 AM
Horror > Everything

Cool, sounds like maybe I can pass on this one. I bet it was a great bit of nostalgia for you, reading that book after so many years. I have a few in my collection that I feel the same way about.

Btw, the Claren book you mention is an all time favorite of mine.

Thanks for the review, FD.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 AM
Evil Dead

Alden Bell: Exit Kingdom
A post z-apoc story...it's allright...
Old 08-08-2015, 01:17 PM
Evil Dead

Just finished this. I don't want to describe the plot because its the second book in the Blood Opera Sequence. The first was very good and this one was almost as good. I highly recommend the first and then second while not highly recommended is still recommended.

I posted about this before, but I'll summarize the first book because the summaries I've read on the web are very misleading. Lots of 'sex' implied which is there, but this is not an erotic novel of any sort.

The main character Rachaela lives a very quiet life due to a strong misanthropic mind. She works in a quiet job making just enough to keep an apartment, radio for classical music and book for her and her Cat. She's not timid/shy/etc., just does not like being around people.
She's contacted by a man representing her father. She never her knew her father. Her mother raising her alone. She is then drawn into this new family.

It doesn't sound exciting I guess, but it is written really well and the story is surprisingly engaging and unusual. I was impressed.

Bloofer for some reason I have this feeling you'd like this series, but I couldn't say why. If you give the first book in the series a try let me know what you think. : )
Old 08-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Evil Dead

Robert Brockway: The Unoticeables
Good read this one was....a story about supernatural forces takin' control of people and doin' bad stuff. Brand new too, copyright 2015.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Bad Things View Post
Robert Brockway: The Unoticeables
Good read this one was....a story about supernatural forces takin' control of people and doin' bad stuff. Brand new too, copyright 2015.
Is it a time travel sort of thing? 1977 then 2003 are where two characters are from according to the summary.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Evil Dead

I wouldn't call it time travel but yeah the story does taken place in NYC in 70's and Cali. in 2013.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Little Boo

New short novel/novella Death Thing by Andrew Hilbert

It's a bizzaro 80s-movie influenced story about a bandaged faced freak who decides to fight crime by setting up his car with booby traps such as a blowtorch and guillotine, and then just leaving it open with valuables on the seats. When the cops find out they approve and help him spread the chaos across town.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:59 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonware View Post
New short novel/novella Death Thing by Andrew Hilbert

[IMG][/IMG]

It's a bizzaro 80s-movie influenced story about a bandaged faced freak who decides to fight crime by setting up his car with booby traps such as a blowtorch and guillotine, and then just leaving it open with valuables on the seats. When the cops find out they approve and help him spread the chaos across town.
I'll have to look for this. It actually sounds entertaining. Certainly not something I would've thought of doing while playing GTA.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!