Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Altered States (1980)

>>: B+
Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Evil Dead

Orphan - Whoa. This was _a lot_ better than I thought it would be. I found it really enjoyable and full of creepy, odd twists. I definitely recommend checking it out.

Sam

New horror comics each month | Vols. 1 & 2 on sale now - just $15 each.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Atrocity Exhibition

Been on a bit of a Robert Redford binge lately. In the past few days I've watched:

Brubaker (1980)

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It sort of ruined the effect a tad when after I realized it wasn't actually completely based on a true story, as I had been told it was by some people, but it was still a great film. The first twenty minutes or so are actually terrifying. Prison movies in general freak me out, but the scenes in this were brutally effective. Good performances, and an interesting story.

-7.5/10.

The Way We Were (1973)

I like this film a lot more than I was expecting to. Redford, and Streisand both give great performances, and Pollack's direction was fantastic as usual. One of the best romance films I've seen in a long time, not cheesy or phooney, or anything like that. Damn good ending too.

-8.5/10.

Jeremiah Johnson (1972)

I actually loved this film. I'm not gonna say it's perfect, there are some scenes that seem a bit out of place with the rest of the film, but just something about it really drew me in. The landscapes were beautiful, and Redford's performance of Jeremiah was fantastic.

-9/10.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Dark Rage (2008)

>>: C+
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Evil Dead

"Soloman Kane" (2010)
Vert well made adaptation of Robert E. Howard's pulp hero. Plenty of action and supernatural bad guys.

"C.H.U.D."

A crap classic! One of the best of the worst of 1980's cinema.

"The Warriors"
See above comment

"Escape From New York"
My all time favorite John Carpenter movie. A classic.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Dread (2009)

Decent enough. Suffered from some awkward dialogue and weak acting here and there, but the concept held my interest and they managed some really great moments near the end.

Still...was anyone else reminded of Patholgy? Far from identical, but lots of similarities (though Pathology turned out much, much better).
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Candyman (1992)

>>: A
Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Bad Natured

Amityville II: The Possession (1982). This prequel of The Amityville Horror is a brave take on the events that actually occurred. The first act was pretty darn creepy, the second was rather brutal, and the third was an enjoyable rip-off of another horror classic. The acting was decent enough, though over-acted at times. The direction was pretty solid, but that camera work was wonderful, at times almost paying homage to the brilliance of Argento's fabulously roaming lens. The special effects were decent for the era, though much of the actual creepiness of this entry relied on on less industrious techniques. Overall worth a watch. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
For Vendetta

Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Bad Natured

Double Indemnity (1944). This is simply one of the best film noirs ever produced, and to think that it took eight years of writing and rewriting to get Hollywood's approval gives one a start that this film may have never been. Of course, all of that work eventually culminated into this magnificent piece of work. The acting was simply astounding, with chemistry that was palpable not only between the hopeful romantics, but also between worker and boss. Even the body language seemed to emote that larger than life feel that screamed in pain at the thought that this flick will at some point have to come to an end. Every scene was a delight to watch, and that dialog between Stanwych and MacMurray was sublime. This story was simple and perfect, and the would-be flaw in the story turns out to instead have been a subtle element for character development and not a flaw at all. The direction and camera work and lighting were all perfect, with the end result a film that might just be the tops for the era. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.