Old 11-05-2016, 02:19 PM
ventricle

HDC Movie Chat: Godzilla Versus the Thing

This is our HDC Movie Chat. See the film and join the chat! Comments, praise, insults, questions, passing thoughts, reviews, whatever!

Godzilla Vs the Thing (1964) [aka Mothra Vs Godzilla]

Want to see something different? The film that launched over 30 films... (I don't mean Gojira '54 or King Kong '33)

If you've seen a Godzilla film, or part of one, and didn't like it... I've seen some clumsy kiddie stuff that I wouldn't watch again as well. This isn't one of them.

The only stumbling in this film is the not so sure-footed Godzilla, which as you'll plainly see, it's in the script.

If you've never seen Godzilla Vs the Thing, it would take a lot to explain, but that's not to say it's confusing, on the contrary, it's very coherent. I'll just say this is a very creative, superior film craft production in every category, and it has more art categories than most films.

There's basically two versions. If you've already seen one version recently, see the other version and tell us what you think.

Godzilla Versus the Thing (1964): (the version I'm suggesting) American AIP release, which includes scenes not in other. It's a very good English dub, done by very experienced dubbing professionals, who dubbed for Speed Racer, among many other Japanese films and TV programs.

Mothra Vs Godzilla (1964): Japanese release, a version you can view with English subtitles.

(If you have any problems seeing the film, you can PM for assistance.)

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-05-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:49 AM
Evil is Better

Loved this movie. I'm definitely going to watch, but i'll be watching the Original Japanese version. I don't watch the english dubs.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:05 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Loved this movie. I'm definitely going to watch, but i'll be watching the Original Japanese version. I don't watch the english dubs.
Same here. Love the movie and will be watching the original Japanese language version. English dubs (for me at least) sound silly and add an unintended humorous element.

Great choice, Sculpt! I'll watch tomorrow after work.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:45 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
Same here. Love the movie and will be watching the original Japanese language version. English dubs (for me at least) sound silly and add an unintended humorous element.

Yeah it just seems off to me. Also with how important Godzilla is to Japanese pop culture, it seems strange to not watch it the proper way, the way it was filmed.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

There's basically two versions. If you've already seen one version recently, see the other version and tell us what you think.
Just noticed this. I may have to watch both versions though since i havent seen the original in some time

Old 11-06-2016, 06:01 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post

Two things on that:

1. Having listened to a few subtitle versions, I have to say, I enjoy the joyful sounding API dubs (not some newer replacement dubs). They bring a delight to the films for me.

I do know what you mean. There are some lines delivered that sound silly, or sillier than necessary. But...

I believe some of the humorousness is on purpose, rather than unintended.

2. I don't speak Japanese, but I've grown up on many Japanese films, TV programs, and learned quite a bit of the history and culture from other sources. And the way the Japanese speak and behave (and act) is much more reserved and subtle than in American culture. And so when Jap-to-Amr dub professionals do the dubbing, they are also conveying what is sometimes too subtle for American perceptions. Being were speaking about a million different scenes, it's a gross exaggeration by definition, but one I've noticed, so take that with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Yeah it just seems off to me. Also with how important Godzilla is to Japanese pop culture, it seems strange to not watch it the proper way, the way it was filmed.
Can't argue with that. The subtitles is truer to the original intent. But for those who miss things on the screen when they are trying to read subtitles, these people get more by watching the faithful dub.

Also, like I mentioned, the American version is has scenes that aren't in the Japanese version. Though it's the same story, with the tone of the dub it's just a different film experience. So if you've seen one version recently, might want to experience the other.

Quote:
Just noticed this. I may have to watch both versions though since i havent seen the original in some time
Right on, Bro!

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-06-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:26 PM
ventricle

We see here Godzilla slips as a strip of land gives way, and he falls into some building. Then, trying to stand-up and re-balance himself, he further damages the building.

As this is a series of shots and close-ups, we know it's in the script.

Why do you think is the reason for this scene?

Old 11-13-2016, 03:01 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

We see here Godzilla slips as a strip of land gives way, and he falls into some building. Then, trying to stand-up and re-balance himself, he further damages the building.

As this is a series of shots and close-ups, we know it's in the script.

Why do you think is the reason for this scene?
Either the actor tripped or it was put in there to showcase that Godzilla is a living creature that can fall and cause utter destruction even just by doing that. Since this was the last Godzilla film (In the Showa Series) in which Godzilla was portrayed as the villain, i think it might have been important to showcase that vulnerability to become the hero for the later films.

Also Japan loves its slapstick comedy so it could just be that.

By the way i rewatched this (The original japanese version) recently. Meant to comment on here but been busy. I really enjoyed it, i thought Mothra was a great foil to Godzilla. Mothra is a protector of nature and life while Godzilla is a destroyer. Mothra is the perfect nemesis for evil Godzilla. I loved how seamlessly the story tied in together. So much in the beginning is spent on the monster egg and then suddenly Godzilla shows up and it could've really failed at transitioning the movie to that but they did a really good job.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:56 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Either the actor tripped or it was put in there to showcase that Godzilla is a living creature that can fall and cause utter destruction even just by doing that. Since this was the last Godzilla film (In the Showa Series) in which Godzilla was portrayed as the villain, i think it might have been important to showcase that vulnerability to become the hero for the later films.

Also Japan loves its slapstick comedy so it could just be that.
All good guesses. I've never found where it's explained, other than it is in the script.

I've read and suppose it's to show he's a force of nature, not trying to be malevolent. It wouldn't be trying to destroy buildings. It's just making its way through town. The shot is a rather heavy handed way to make whatever point it's making.

Quote:
By the way i rewatched this (The original japanese version) recently. Meant to comment on here but been busy. I really enjoyed it, i thought Mothra was a great foil to Godzilla. Mothra is a protector of nature and life while Godzilla is a destroyer. Mothra is the perfect nemesis for evil Godzilla. I loved how seamlessly the story tied in together. So much in the beginning is spent on the monster egg and then suddenly Godzilla shows up and it could've really failed at transitioning the movie to that but they did a really good job.
Yes, Mothra is the perfect foil. After the dark menacing nature of the first two Godzilla films to have a brightly colored giant moth... who would have possibly imagined this? It's so freakin out there! Got to love it.

Your right, the story is really pretty darn tight. Nice flow and pace. I love the humor in the pressroom with the chief always telling the reporter to shut up.