Old 03-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Evil Dead

"Escape From New York" remake

Butler to Escape From New York
Source: Variety
March 13, 2007

300 star Gerard Butler is lined-up to star in a remake of John Carpenter's Escape From New York from 1981, reports Variety.

Neal Moritz is attached to produce, with Black Hawk Downscreenwriter Ken Nolan penning the screenplay.

Butler would play Snake Plissken, the one-eyed convict who's charged with heading into the inescapable maximum security prison formerly known as Manhattan to liberate the U.S. president.

Kurt Russell originated the role and reprised it in the 1996 sequel Escape from L.A.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Evil Puppy

Could be good, even though AoP13 wasn't great it was a decent remake while The Fog was unwatchable... The Thing and Escape From New York look like the next couple of Carpenter's to be remade. Wonder when In The Mouth of Madness is being redone since his whole library is being remade.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
I wonder why Kurt Russell isn't playing Snake again?He doesn't look bad in the Grindhouse trailers.For his age I think he could still hold his own in an action role.
I could see him reprising his role in a third film but for a remake? I don't see that working.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Zydrate Anatomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I could see him reprising his role in a third film but for a remake? I don't see that working.
Yeah, I don't think actors usually do remakes of a film when they starred in the original. Besides, the way Escape from LA flopped (I liked it though), I don't think Kurt Russell would get anywhere near an Escape from Wherever.

Though in Escape from LA, they talk about how Snake escaped from Cleveland, that could be cool, they never really tell you what happened there, only that Hershey was there.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

I talked to Carpenter about this yesterday. He's really funny about it. He just smiled and chuckled. He really doesn't like to talk about his business.

He's so damn cool. I'll be back in his office this afternoon.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
I talked to Carpenter about this yesterday. He's really funny about it. He just smiled and chuckled. He really doesn't like to talk about his business.

He's so damn cool. I'll be back in his office this afternoon.
you bastard!

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:47 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
Rod, I wanna kick you in your HankIII looking head!(out of jealousy not meanness!)I can't believ you are meeting with one of the biggest Icons in horror history.Grrrr, growll, bark, bark!!!!!!!!!!:p
He's kicking our asses right now on a script my partner and I wrote. He loves it and wants to direct it, but first we need to rewrite. So he's reading our script aloud to us (20 pages a day - twice a week) and rolling his eyes at everything we wrote that's derivative.

Pretty brutal being called "lazy" over and over, but every few pages he hits a beat and stops and says "now that's good...that's fucking genius."

It's awesome and quite humbling learning from a master. And this movie is going to kick ass.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
dude if john carpenter directs your movie..im gonna need you to send me your autograph, ok?:p

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:49 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Escape from NY is now set up at New Line. It's gonna happen.

Francis Bacon
Old 03-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Evil Dead

The Escape Will Happen at New Line
Source: Variety
March 16, 2007

New Line has won the bidding war for a remake of Escape From New York, with 300 star Gerard Butler attached and Neal Moritz producing through his Original Films.

Black Hawk Down screenwriter Ken Nolan is attached to write the script. Executive producers include Original's Ori Marmur; Ron Halpern and Frederic Sichler of Canal Plus, which held the remake rights; and John Carpenter, who directed the 1981 original.

Butler would portray Snake Plissken, the convict and war hero who's sent into a futuristic New York City -- which has been turned into a giant maximum security prison -- to rescue the president of the U.S. after his plane is knocked down by terrorists. The original was set in 1998.

Kurt Russell played Plissken in the original film and again in Carpenter's 1996 sequel Escape From Los Angeles.