Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Evil Dead

Room 6 - I now see why this was DTV. It's like a car wreck (which plays a central point in the movie); it's got bits and pieces of what could be a good movie all over the place, but no one can put them together properly. The acting (especially Christine Taylor and the young nurses) is pretty bad. The storyline is absolutely ludicrous. A few of the special effects are pretty cool, but not cool enough to save the movie. Definitely save your money and time on this one. If you do watch it, look for Kane Hodder as the bum.

The Ghost and the Darkness - Except for Micheal Douglas' overacting, I really like this movie. And his overacting isn't all that bad. Just finished reading a book about maneating lions in Tsavo, where the true events of the movie took place. There are a few inaccuracies in the movie, but that's to be expected.

X-Files Fight the Future - Every time I watch this movie I start watching reruns of the show, one of the best shows on television. And as I've posted before, AHHHHHH David Duchovny.:D
Old 06-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
The Weather Man

Really good movie with good acting from the entire cast especially Caine and Cage(doesn't that sound like a cool tag team name?...anyway...) who both gave great performances as they always do. Very well written with a handful of good laughs scattered along a sad yet progressive story.
I watched some of that movie being filmed in Chicago.

My last seen were Night Watch and The Serpent and the Rainbow.

Both were very good films. I thought Night Watch was so kickass. It's kind of like The Matrix meets The Lost Boys or something.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:34 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally posted by _____V_____
Dagon -

Impressive and pacy, yet a bit bleak. Maybe direction was not on par, or maybe the plot-holes in the script. Nice effects, some good jumpy scares. A decent watch IMO, but not the best adaptation of Lovecraft's work by any stretch of the imagination.

06/10
What plot holes? Care to elaborate?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
a bloody mess

Quote:
Originally posted by alkytrio666
I watched some of that movie being filmed in Chicago.

My last seen were Night Watch and The Serpent and the Rainbow.

Both were very good films. I thought Night Watch was so kickass. It's kind of like The Matrix meets The Lost Boys or something.
you know after the two disastrous sequels to "the matrix" i went back and watched the first and i realized that i didn't like the original either (i think i must have been really high at the time)... i have "night watch" in my possession, but just can't find enough time to sit down and watch it. the anticipation is killing me; i hope this doesn't ruin the movie for me.

1) Candyman
2) American Werewolf In London
3) Evil Dead 2
4) Hellraiser
5) Night Of The Living Dead
6) Jaws
7) Ginger Snaps 2
8) Dead Alive
9) Halloween
10) The Omen

t-pot
Old 06-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Tenant

Well, if you didn't like the Matrix series, chances are you won't like Night Watch.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Evil Dead

RECCOMENDED.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance;
Chan-wook Park has just become one of my favourite directors. Added to the list which already contains Alexandre Aja, Rob Zombie, and Quentin Tarintino. Short list.

This film is not for everyone, so you must accept that before even feeling the need to watch it. Please don't take this review to heart, go out and buy it, watch it, dislike it, and then run to me saying it's trash. You need to have a certain taste to enjoy this. It's Korean, it's subtitled, there is a majority of silence and a lack of a vast amount of dailogue. It is a character-driven film, that pours atmosphere and realism. It all works, whether you accept it or not.

The first thing you will notice while watching the film is that most of it is very quiet. There is little background music, and scenes are often filled with nothing but background noises. Background noises you can hear in everyday life. The director has accepted the fact that a film does not need to have a soundtrack inserted into every little open area. Even the ending, while the credits role, has very little music and is only filled by the crying of a dying man. Beautiful.

The second thing you will notice is that the film is carried by it's characters. They are well established, acted, and defined. They are real, and the director uses every oppertunity to show this to his audience. The way they act is not typical to most movies, the way they act is typical to our lives. Some of their movements may make you wonder, and turn away in shock - but you cannot deny the fact that, in this very situation, such a response is very real indeed. The actions are explained, not by words, but by past events and situations we have experienced our self.

The title, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, is very vague once you've seen the film - and you realize it works. What you will notice as you progress in this film is that you do not exactly feel more sympathy for one character, then another. All have reasons for what they are doing, all take drastic actions against another. They are all good guys, and they are all bad guys. Just like in life. Two sides of a coin.

Another thing to note, I often get bored in at least one part of every move I watch. Where I look at the clock, check the runtime, and yawn. I did not do that ONCE in this film. I was transfixed in the silence, and genuinely interested in the events taking place on screen. It's funny how a simple thing called life can be so much more exciting then movie sof other genres.

---

Salvage and Oldboy tonight. Creep and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance tomorrow night. Ichi the Killer coming up sometime later, as well as The Talented Mr. Ripley and The Promise. Oh, and The Matrix (embarrasing to admit I've never seen it.)
Old 06-27-2006, 09:54 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Return
What plot holes? Care to elaborate?
like there's this scene when the guy jumps from a building, crashing through a glass sheet on the other building and landing on his butt (ouch!) and getting up with only a limp(??).

The cgi effects. They were disappointing, especially of the creature itself, which I thought was lame. But maybe cuz its a low-budget flick, the makers didnt have much to develop it better.

The acting was a big letdown. There just wasnt much atmosphere created by the leads to keep the movie pacy.

The climax was ok. Clever and original.

Altogether, it started off very interestingly. A small island in the middle of nowhere, a guy all alone looking around claustrophobically wondering where his friends disappeared to, the people of the rainy coastal town giving him glares...definitely creepy and eerie stuff. But the second half of the movie took it down.

The problem with Dagon is depiction of too much gore. I admit I loved some really nice scenes, like the skinning scene (thats awesome!) But according to the pace of the movie, too much gore wasnt needed. More solid performances, and a better script could have made it a better movie than it is.

Stuart Gordon may be the best director when it comes to handle Lovecraftian tales, but the genius of Lovecraft needs a lot more than Gordon can give it. The human psyche, the horrific and glaring depictions which come from reading his books, need atmospheric touches to make em more horrifying.

Thats where movies like Se7en score over movies like Dagon. It isnt the act of murder depicted in minute detail which horrifies people, its the knowledge that such a gruesome act has been done, is what makes it horrifying. Hope that made sense.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Ravenwaves

Last seen movie: Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Last seen live action movie: House of Wax
Old 06-27-2006, 04:31 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally posted by _____V_____
like there's this scene when the guy jumps from a building, crashing through a glass sheet on the other building and landing on his butt (ouch!) and getting up with only a limp(??).

The cgi effects. They were disappointing, especially of the creature itself, which I thought was lame. But maybe cuz its a low-budget flick, the makers didnt have much to develop it better.

The acting was a big letdown. There just wasnt much atmosphere created by the leads to keep the movie pacy.

The climax was ok. Clever and original.

Altogether, it started off very interestingly. A small island in the middle of nowhere, a guy all alone looking around claustrophobically wondering where his friends disappeared to, the people of the rainy coastal town giving him glares...definitely creepy and eerie stuff. But the second half of the movie took it down.

The problem with Dagon is depiction of too much gore. I admit I loved some really nice scenes, like the skinning scene (thats awesome!) But according to the pace of the movie, too much gore wasnt needed. More solid performances, and a better script could have made it a better movie than it is.

Stuart Gordon may be the best director when it comes to handle Lovecraftian tales, but the genius of Lovecraft needs a lot more than Gordon can give it. The human psyche, the horrific and glaring depictions which come from reading his books, need atmospheric touches to make em more horrifying.

Thats where movies like Se7en score over movies like Dagon. It isnt the act of murder depicted in minute detail which horrifies people, its the knowledge that such a gruesome act has been done, is what makes it horrifying. Hope that made sense.
*Major Spoilers for Dagon*

I'll agree that the CGI was awful, and that some of the acting wasnt great. I thought Ezra Godden [Paul] was great though, he really gave a realistic performance IMO.

The "plot hole" isnt really a plot hole when you look at the whole plot. Look at how resiliant/hard to kill all the Imbocans are. I think the fact that Paul was relatively unharmed shows the first hints of his transformation.

What do you mean by too much gore? Aside from the face skinning and Paul's burnt body, there really wasnt much gore at all.

I agree with Urge 100% about the atmosphere:

Quote:
Originally posted by Urgeok
i think it did capture ther lovecraftian sense of doom and helplessness better than any of the others ..
i found it to be creepy and foreboding...the rain .. the setting .. the type of threat presented ..

i thought it was probably the best reperesentation of the atmosphere of lovecraft - if not the exact literary representation..
I couldnt say it any better.

Personally, I love Dagon. It's one of my all-time favourite horror films. Too bad you didnt like it:(
Old 06-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Evil Puppy

Independence Day
A special effects packed ball of fun.