Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Maybe the fact that I can't remember a single detail of that movie proves it sucked.
same here.

Other than giallo - i'm not a fan of 80's slashers.
i didnt mind the 1st Scream because it had fun with slasher films - but unfortunately it spawned a new wave of them (that didnt last thank god)

unorigional pap.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:45 AM
For Vendetta

The very fact that all of you folks forgot about this trashy flick is ample bashing!:D

(Of course, it was the last moments of watching Tara Reid look as gorgeous as she did here)

Moving on, some hardcore fans hail this movie as ground-breaking, innovative, original and a trendsetter. Yet, there is a select group which thinks that this movie caused more ruin to the genre than add any positivism.

Will the haters take their stance and explain why they think

Ringu

took away a chunk of the genre with it, rather than add anything productive to it?

Here comes the bashing!!:cool:
Old 03-13-2008, 04:34 PM
mostly ghostly?

ringu i watched a long time ago, so i don't remember much about it.
what i do remember is feeling that it was very silly, and not scary in the least.

i rolled my eyes a lot during ringu.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:41 AM
For Vendetta

Well, it has been claimed to have revolutionised Asian horror and western audiences in many ways.

Anyone else dares to chuck a rotten egg?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 AM
HDC Resident Cynic

*Chucks rotten egg*
Ringu is a total suck fest. I liked the remake The Ring a lot more. I usually like the original more than the remake, but this is not the case here.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Well, it has been claimed to have revolutionised Asian horror and western audiences in many ways.

Anyone else dares to chuck a rotten egg?
no - i give the movie a lot of credit... it really was the first exposure for a lot of people (or at least the american remake was)

but eventually people found out there was a japanese version and some checked it out out of curiosity and had a whole new world of horror opened up to them.

sure - there's a lot of sameness in asian horror - but it's usually pretty well made.

a whole hell of a lot better than those 2000+ inane - made for kids 80's slasher movies that were indistingushable from each other
Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
ive never seen Ringu, but The Ring sucked...

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 03-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Ringu is an important movie in its way. But lots of important movies are also dull, and or sucky. La Strada for example. Important? Yes. But it's maudlin, insensitive and boring, with a message that doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on. Ringu is something of a lesson in genre history (recent though it might be) and is decent medicine for the horror fan that doesn't need the proverbial spoon full of sugar. And by sugar, I mean entertainment.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

i was very entertained by Ringu ..

J-horror has always felt like italian horror to me whereby you are dealing with style over substance (the age old HDC debate)

If done well, i am every bit entertained as i am by something more straightforward.

i enjoy the visuals, the building tension (by what we can see that the victim can't) and i can appreciate that the long haired ghost lady figures prominantly in asian culture.

They are innovative (the 1st time you see them) and usually nicely shot.
(maybe because i cant understand japanese) - the perfomances seem fine.

above all else - the image of that girl crawling towards the viewer/victim with that jerky slow camera motion - will be forever burned into the minds of horror fans - and many non horror fans - alike.

that alone puts itself heads and shoulders above the forgetful pap we're exposed to constantly as fans of the genre.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:24 AM
Nightbreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
i was very entertained by Ringu ..

above all else - the image of that girl crawling towards the viewer/victim with that jerky slow camera motion - will be forever burned into the minds of horror fans - and many non horror fans - alike.
That was a cool effect until it became overused in Japanese and American films alike (The Grudge, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Fair Haired Child.....). It's still a creepy shot, but it gets old after a while.

I watched Ringu because everyone I knew was talking about how good 'The Ring' was, and I wanted to be the purist snob that I am. I figured that if people were talking about 'The Ring' then 'Ringu' must be that much better. I was mistaken. I suppose it tried for the cinematography over story or anything, but I walked away thinking that I had wasted a small portion of my life.

I'm almost bored with J-Horror these days. Maybe it's the subtitles making my eyes get tired, or maybe it's that I keep seeing the same thing over and over again, but I almost never pick something up anymore just because it's Japanese (c'mon, we all had that stage where ninja weapons, anime, and Japanese culture was hip to follow)