Trench 11, 2017. 6/10

Thumb resize.

Maniac Cop 2, 1990. 7/10

Thumb resize.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:35 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
So I started watching Bird Box...because I'm getting really sick of hearing about it, and I figured it was only a matter of time before it's spoiled for me.
I'm only about a half hour in at this point - though it seems fairly well made, tense and atmospheric. Quite a few abrupt moments.
It reminded me a little bit of "The Signal" (2007) which I quite like, so yeah...seems solid enough, thus far.
Agreed, tense, it's well made... it's interesting, good pace, effective shot direction, decent effects and acting. More enjoyable for those who haven't see The Happening or Quiet Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE ADDAMS FAMILY (1991). Some hilarious moments (particularly one involving Shakespeare), but the whole I found this quite mediocre and totally lacking the zany charm of the TV series. **
I liked this more than you did. I saw it with a buddy at the theatre high. I was impressed with the trippy cinematography. It wasn't a great or notable story, wasn't particularly funny, except like you said, I think there were some funny parts, like there was in A Nightmare Before Christmas. Personally, I wouldn't say the film would have had to try very hard to be better than a TV ep... but although I saw a good 6 eps, I wasn't a fan, so you've confirmed I'm probably wrong about that. Anyway, I enjoyed for it for what I think it was attempting cinematically, and I'm not sure what anyone was expecting considering the source material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningriser View Post
Bad Times at the El Royale - 10/10

Holy fuck!!! This movie was simply astonishing! Where to begin... the cinematography was beautiful! The writing was amazing! The acting was superb! This thing kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time and while it isn't necessarily horror per se, it certainly had the elements of suspense and even mystery. This movie was so Tarantino-esque with the way the story was presented to us and just when you start thinking what the hell can happen next, the story goes in a whole other direction but it all comes together so beautifully. I cannot recommend this movie enough to any of you. The only problem I have isn't even with the movie, it's with something they spoil in the trailer. It's not even that important of a spoiler but the point is they still shouldn't have done it. I won't say what it is but a lot of people probably already know just from the trailer itself. Watch this movie though, you won't be disappointed!
Sounds good, looking forward to it. How close to Pulp Fiction is this?

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-02-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:14 PM
ventricle

The Lobster (2016) (netflix)
8/10

An emotionally reclusive widower (Colin Farrell) is forced by society into a hotel where singles have 45 days to find a mate, but if they fail they will be turned into an animal.

This is an odd, subtly funny, satire on the perceived importance of a significant other -- focused more on those who have trouble establishing relationships -- and delivered in rather appropriate Nineteen Eighty-four style.

Secret Window (2004)
6/10

Johnny Depp plays a writer harassed by a man claiming he plagiarized his story, in this Stephen King story, screenplay/directed David Koepp.

I thought this about a someone researching a satanic happening. Must be confusing it with another film. (Maybe someone can tell me what film I must be thinking of?) Mostly nice direction, although I didn't think the reveal was particularly effective, considering this is fairly old hat here, and a stripped down story that's often waiting. Restrained role by Depp.

Civilizations: Encounters, S1:Ep 4 (2018) (netflix)
8/10

Documentary how art is affected when foreign cultures first meet.

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:16 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

Sounds good, looking forward to it. How close to Pulp Fiction is this?
Far from it.

It’s more like a blend between Jackie Brown and The Hateful Eight.

First half is an interesting build-up, then in comes Chris Hemsworth and it all goes downhill from there, even tho he shines in the role as some kind of Charles Manson. All in all the movie is quite a mess.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:20 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

Secret Window (2004)
6/10

Johnny Depp plays a writer harassed by a man claiming he plagiarized his story, in this Stephen King story, screenplay/directed Koepp.

I thought this about a someone researching a satanic happening. Must be confusing it with another film. (Maybe someone can tell me what film I must be thinking of?) Mostly nice direction, although I didn't think the reveal was particularly effective, considering this is fairly old hat here, and a stripped down story that's often waiting. Restrained role by Depp.

From Hell
Old 01-02-2019, 01:28 PM
No, fuck YOU

“What Happened to Monday” 7/10

By the director of the Dead Snows.

Not horror/comedy but sci-fi/action with a bit of dark humor and starring Noomi Rapace playing 7 different siblings. Definitely not flawless but it is entertaining.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Banned

A mess? Really? I fucking loved it! And yeah when Chris Hemsworth came into it it took the film in an entirely different direction but I liked it. And yes, it's nothing like Pulp Fiction. It has the element from Jackie Brown where you see things happening from different points of view which is awesome and then the hateful eight element of Mystery.

Secret Window is badass! I think it's one of Johnny Depp's better movies actually where he isn't playing some ridiculous feminine sounding guy in a top hat.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Banned

Subconcious Cruelty - fuck this movie and whoever wrote it.

I'm all about some art house but give me a fucking break... I could tolerate the baby scene in a Serbian film just fine because of the ridiculousness behind it but they went too goddamn far with this one and even then I was still willing to give it a chance hoping maybe it would redeem itself but then that going to people pulling up clumps of grass and dirt in the ground only to reveal giant puddles of blood that some people were even fucking was just downright stupid. I hate to sound so negative but seriously, fuck anybody that was involved in that piece of shit.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:34 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
From Hell
Thanks, Bro!

Quote:
A mess? Really? I fucking loved it! And yeah when Chris Hemsworth came into it it took the film in an entirely different direction but I liked it. And yes, it's nothing like Pulp Fiction. It has the element from Jackie Brown where you see things happening from different points of view which is awesome and then the hateful eight element of Mystery.

Secret Window is badass! I think it's one of Johnny Depp's better movies actually where he isn't playing some ridiculous feminine sounding guy in a top hat.
Yes, I agree, Depp did a good job, I said 'he was restrained', for him, but still engaging, and not a wack job. For me 6/10 is mildly entertaining, but I certainly was not on the edge of my seat for this film. I saw what was coming about Depp (which as I said, is an old hat plot, cause we've seen it many times), and so his wife, wife's lover, sheriff, PrivateEye and all that stuff was very simple and stripped down; so pretty quickly it just feels like we're waiting. The scenes with John Turturro (angry writer) are the best, no doubt.

I'm glad you loved it, and I thought it was alright (& peaking at RT.com Critic 46% Audience 65%, I think I saw it right), but I don't think the ending quarter was riveting or surprising at all; rather I found it obvious, cliche, short, tame, unsuspenseful, unfunny, generally blasè.

Quote:
Subconcious Cruelty - fuck this movie and whoever wrote it.

I'm all about some art house but give me a fucking break... I could tolerate the baby scene in a Serbian film just fine because of the ridiculousness behind it but they went too goddamn far with this one and even then I was still willing to give it a chance hoping maybe it would redeem itself but then that going to people pulling up clumps of grass and dirt in the ground only to reveal giant puddles of blood that some people were even fucking was just downright stupid. I hate to sound so negative but seriously, fuck anybody that was involved in that piece of shit.
Well, Deadbeat At Dawn said this was a kids movie, so I don't know why you were miffed! (I'm just kidding, folks, Deadbeat didn't say that.) We're all friends here, what part in the movie went too far? I'm curious, and I'm not gonna see this.

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-02-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Banned

I am Jesus. Do you believe that too?

But seriously, I don't care what other people think, if anyone enjoys watching babies getting sliced up and blood spraying out of their arteries in their mothers face as they die, who am I to say that's extremely fucked up?

But seriously, watch bad times at the El Royale. That movie is fucking amazing! And angra, I found the character of Billy Lee to be quite necessary to the story. His message was there is no difference between right and wrong rather than how people perceive it. I loved his message and what it brought to the last Act of the film. Those scenes got pretty intense.

Tags
movie