Old 06-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Bizarro Fiction

Are there any fans here of this splinter horror/surrealism genre? Bizarro fiction is weird, unhinged, cult film inspired horror fusion often featuring cartoon logic, offensive humor and dystopian worlds. My publisher has classified my work as Bizarro, but there's heavy crossover. If anybody's interested in learning more about the genre and reading hip, exciting daring fiction sometimes with a South Park potty mouth, sometimes with the hallucinatory chills of William Burroughs, check this stuff out. Like Rod always says about good new horror, if we don't want more of the same stuff, we need to prove it.
www.bizarrocentral.com for more info. Fans of Lynch, H.G Lewis, Miike and just general weird, wild cult stuff will not be dissatisfied.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Cranky

Is Bizarro fiction specifically horrific in nature, or can it be outre and off the wall without horror?

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I'm intrigued by your post, but I can't really figure out that site.

Care to name some of the better works in this genre? I'd love to check some of this out, sounds pretty cool.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 PM
DouglasAllenRhodes

Peaked my interest too. Is the name a reference to the idea of a cracked reflection of reality as Bizarro is to Superman?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
It's horrific and surreal, tinged by profanity and influenced by pop culture and cult film. It can be off the wall without horror, but usually there are some horror elements or at least gonzo ultraviolence. Like Dali and Artaud and Southpark, there's a concern with scatology of all kinds. It's satirical while at the same time can be serious as a heart attack. For new readers of Bizarro, I recommend the Bizarro starter kits from Eraserhead press. Ten singled spaced entries from various Bizarro authors for the princley sum of ten dollars. Otherwise, I'd say Jordan Krall's Piecemeal June. I have a review of it up on www.withersin.com and D. Harlan Wilson's Dr. Identity. If you like Naked Lunch, Cronenberg or Kerouac's Dr. Sax, or wish Douglas Adams had worked blue, this might be the genre for you. Andre Duza writes wild variations on the zombie novel, Carlton Mellick does wild surrealist work in the vein of Kafka and Jodorowski, Jordan Krall is a cross between Elmore Leonard and early Clive Barker, Gina Ranalli is like a female Jhonen Vasquez/Sartre chimera. www.absurdistjournal.com and www.dreampeople.org have some heavily experimental and fun Bizarro stuff, mostly of the general outre variety but sometimes horror.

Last edited by Doc Faustus; 06-23-2008 at 10:12 AM.