Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Goosebumps - good or bad for horror?
Goosebumps rules! Get 'em while they're young! 7 100.00%
*meh* 0 0%
He's a hack, kid horror blows! 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2008, 05:11 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

The Imprtance of Goosebumps

R.L. Stine's Goosebumps has been around long enough that some of the members grew up reding the series and some know it from reading to thier kids. And then there was the tv series.

The About the Author claims he has sold 300 Million copies.

300,000,000 copies.

damn... that's crazy

So, does R.L. Stine deserve to be held in the same regard as somone like Stephen King? Or do you think his writing is dull and predictable? His influence has to be huge...he is recruiting 8 year-old horror fans.

do you want to see a goosebumps movie?

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon

Last edited by Roderick Usher; 06-10-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Fear scented candle

ive never read any of his stuff, but i typically find anythign aimed towards kids, especially the 11 to 16 year range to be pandering and stupid.

however, if they like it, they like it. and i cant judge the quality; ive never read any. but 300,000,000 copies cant all be wrong.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Evil Puppy

I liked Goosebumps, he took a lot of classic tales and changed them up a bit to make some unique little compilations. I remember the television show being bad but I didn't watch it much so I'm probably not the one to ask about that. I liked the "Scary Stories" books better myself, probably because I was too old for Goosebumps, my wife said the same author did something called "Fear Street" that she liked a lot better.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I was more into the TV show myself (which was pretty awesome as a kid, even though Are You Afraid of the Dark was way better), but I did have a whole bunch of the books.

Went back and read Welcome to Dead House not too long ago...kind of a fun story, but it's not hard to tell its a kid's book. Still, I certainly wouldn't be the horror fan that I am today were it not for those books / TV series.

Long Live R.L. Stine!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Waste Disposer

I rent all the Goosebumps DVD's...for my kids...yeah, that's it...for my kids.
I of course as Grande Adult must sit and watch them ...as parental support.
Also since they are such HUGE fans of R.L.Stine, I must buy lots of the books as well...and read them first..to um, make sure there's nothing that might scare them too much ....or something.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Kid horror definitely has a place and it opens up dialogue and encourages kids to read horror classics, unlike Harry Potter which encourages kids to read Harry Potter. The urge to find grislier more adult material is present in all kids. That's why one fateful night as my grandfather slept in the livingroom, I popped in Hellraiser and opened up a magical world of adventure. It was a special time. A queasy time, but a special one nonetheless. Make sure, however to set up your DVD collection so you can cause your kids to sneak worthwhile movies.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Undead

Talking

I used to read Goosebumps! What first began my horror interest was Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark!! Remember those books?? Those were awesome!! There is nothing wrong with kid horror my daughter is 3 and I would love for her to grow up with the same books I loved as a child, they are great to pass on, ya know!! From generation to generation- Let our kids be scared and the ability to scare others- what a legacy to pass along!! Happy Slashing All !!

Last edited by pumpkin_queen; 06-18-2008 at 01:27 PM.