Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-22-2008, 01:34 AM
For Vendetta

Fox asks Cameron to re-consider "Alien 5"

June 21, 2008

Even after AvP: Requiem grossing $128 million at the box office worldwide, 20th Century Fox has reportedly gone ahead and taken a very unexpected step. According to reports, they have apparently asked James Cameron (Aliens, The Terminator, T2) to re-consider his final draft for Alien 5.

Studio executives met with Cameron earlier today and apparently gave him the go-ahead from the corporate body at Fox for the supposedly fifth installment of the Alien saga.

Cameron had drafted a script along with a fellow script-writer and was all set to produce Alien 5 with Gale Anne Hurd three years back, with Ridley Scott directing, when Fox scrapped the plans and went ahead to do AvP.

Those who managed to have a sneak peek at Cameron's script back then had revealed that "The 5th Alien instalment takes place on Earth. Earth is under attack by alien warrior drop ships (the race first seen as the dead navigator aboard the derelict alien ship in the original Alien movie). As the hasty evacuation of Earth begins, it will lead to the final battle sequence aboard the navigator's ship where Ripley will discover the navigator is a fierce creature whose main objective is to wipe out all intelligent life infesting the universe."

Whether Sigourney Weaver might return to reprise her role as Ellen Ripley remains to be seen. Weaver, 59 this October, wasn't too keen on giving it another shot at her age. It will be interesting to see who would take over as Ripley if Weaver turns down the role, or Cameron will take out her character from the script entirely.

Earlier reports suggesting that Fox might be reviving the Predator franchise were shot down by corporate executives, who said that after the first two AvP films, audiences won't be interested in a Predator standalone film anymore.

More news on this as it comes in.

Last edited by _____V_____; 06-22-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Hmm, I'm still not clear. Is this navigator an alien of the Xenomorph species or some other alien, or a human?

The Ferrets like it...
Old 06-22-2008, 06:33 AM
For Vendetta

I think its a superior race than the Xenomorphs. Either way, its a species which we havent seen in action yet, except for the dead jockey in the chair of the crashed ship in the original.

I am actually pretty pumped up about this news. Just imagine how excited I was when I read this the first time! :D

I am hoping the negotiations go through and we actually get to see Cameron's version of part 5. Maybe the bad tastes of Resurrection, AvP and Requiem will finally be forgotten, finally.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Mark It 0

this is great news, love the alien films, i hope they can work this out as well and get started
Old 06-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Hmmm, I don't remember this "Dead jockey". Did you say he was in the crashed ship? With all the eggs?

The Ferrets like it...
Old 06-22-2008, 09:56 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Never going to happen. Or if it does, it wont even resemble Cameron's script.

Look at the "success" of the AVP movies - if they can make money off that mindlessness, why would they bother to make a smart Alien movie anymore?
Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretchucker View Post
Hmmm, I don't remember this "Dead jockey". Did you say he was in the crashed ship? With all the eggs?
Think back to the moments when Dallas, Kane and Lambert walked into the crashed spaceship and climbed into a huge chamber with a telescope-like thing set upon a body slumped forward on a chair? The body had its chest blown outward, as if an alien had blasted out from "it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Never going to happen. Or if it does, it wont even resemble Cameron's script.

Look at the "success" of the AVP movies - if they can make money off that mindlessness, why would they bother to make a smart Alien movie anymore?
Considering that they have gone to Cameron themselves, I say it has a pretty good chance.

The ball is in Jim's court now.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Considering that they have gone to Cameron themselves, I say it has a pretty good chance.

The ball is in Jim's court now.
Yeah, but can you really imagine him getting Final Cut?
Old 06-22-2008, 10:11 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Yeah, but can you really imagine him getting Final Cut?
I would say, yes.

The biggies at the studio know very well that Jimmy Cameron is a hard nut to crack, and he stands by his rules only.

Considering and taking THAT fact into account and still approaching him goes to show Fox's willingness to give him considerable freedom to shape and mold Alien 5 the way the man deems fit.

Now its only a matter of him agreeing, getting Ridley onboard, getting Sigourney back...and someone to fill the rather large, albeit empty shoes left by Stan Winston. Thats all! :D
Old 06-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Crystal Lake Slasher

Tremendous news!

- Walter Savage Landor.