Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
For Vendetta

"The Town That Dreaded Sundown" remake

Ryan Murphy and Jason Blum Teaming on THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN Remake; Alfonso Gomez-Rejon Will Direct

Quote:
MGM’s remake of the 1976 horror film The Town That Dreaded Sundown is moving forward, and some major players have boarded the project behind the scenes.

We first learned that the remake was in development this past November, but now Heat Vision reports that Glee and American Horror Story creator Ryan Murphy is teaming up with producer Jason Blum (Paranormal Activity franchise, Insidious) on the project.

The original slasher film was based on five unsolved, grisly murders in 1946 Texarkana and became a cult hit.

Alfonso Gomez-Rejon is in talks to direct the horror remake, which has a script by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Carrie remake, Glee). Gomez-Rejon has previously helmed a number of episodes of Glee and American Horror Story: Asylum, and is also a prolific second-unit director who most recently worked on Argo.

This new Sundown is said to keep the original film’s cinema verite style with an added procedural element akin to Zodiac. Murphy also revealed that they’re doing a “weird meta thing with it,” whatever that means.

Production is gearing up to begin this spring.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...teaming-413554
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM
mostly ghostly?

Hm, very interesting. Could be cool. I always liked the original, but thought it was a little too goofy at times.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Immortal horror fan

Really getting tired of remakes because so called creative types want to latch on to something the public might remember. I only saw Town that Dreaded Sundown in the last few months. It's pretty good. It has the usual goofy cops but still a kind of haunting movie when you consider what happens at the end. There are tons of similar ideas they could use without remaking this movie.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Little Boo

I always liked the original, but thought it was a little too goofy at times.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 PM
From The Beyond

Never seen the original but will definitely be looking it up now.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
Never seen the original but will definitely be looking it up now.
It's good. I always wanted to see it from the line in Scream. The ending is one of the better horror movie endings. I really want to know where the goofy cops theme comes from. It's in a lot of horror movies. I wonder if directors/writers of the time were trying to say something about the incompetence of real cops handing actual events.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Evil Dead

I remember seeing the original in the theaters Way back in the old days. Not a bad film, but not great either. A remake might be interesting.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
It's good. I always wanted to see it from the line in Scream. The ending is one of the better horror movie endings. I really want to know where the goofy cops theme comes from. It's in a lot of horror movies. I wonder if directors/writers of the time were trying to say something about the incompetence of real cops handing actual events.
Just saw it cheers and yeah it was good though like others have said it was a bit too campy. But the only thing that did have me reaching for the mute button was the OTT narration-some just at the beginning and end would have been enough so it was far too annoying having it every 10mins. But other than that I also liked the cop incompetence in it and I hope they keep that theme intact for people who watch the remake though I won't be.