Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM
HDC Idol

Oddities

Wow - This is my new favorite show. It's on the Discovery Channel and currently free on Comcast On Demand (TV Shows > All Shows > Oddities).

Description: ODDITIES dives into the weird world of strange and extraordinary science artifacts through the eyes of the proprietors of Manhattan's Obscura Antiques & Oddities.

Odd macabre artifacts, rogue taxidermy... The first episode I watched featured a shrunken head, a jackalope, and a horn made from a human thigh bone.

Discovery Channel Show Site: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/oddities/

I think that most of you guys will totally dig it. Fun stuff.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Cranky

Been watching this show for several months now. Love it. The customers are the real oddities...

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-17-2011, 06:00 AM
HDC Idol

SO TRUE

The guy who comes in looking for a straight jacket... TOTALLY creeped me out...

I love the antique medical devices... The antique blood-letting device that they sold was ridiculously cool - Also loved the wind-up electro-shock machine. Absolutely fascinating.

The rogue taxidermy stuff is really cool (jackalopes!) plus the real medical oddity taxidermy (like conjoined twin animals) are really cool.

I absolutely need to go to New York City to see the shop (it's been a while since we've been to NYC; I figure this is a good reason to get out there).

Old 04-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Cranky

Have you seen the one where the guy wants to buy some kind of weird bug so he can scare his girlfriend?

Take plenty of money when you visit their shop- their prices ain't cheap!

Make me think of the time when I went to a flea market with my parents when I was 10 or 12... one table had a mummified hand and I really wanted to buy it. I picked it up and was turning it over and over until my mother made me put it down. It was only $5!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Banned

Will have to check this out
Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Have you seen the one where the guy wants to buy some kind of weird bug so he can scare his girlfriend?

Take plenty of money when you visit their shop- their prices ain't cheap!

Make me think of the time when I went to a flea market with my parents when I was 10 or 12... one table had a mummified hand and I really wanted to buy it. I picked it up and was turning it over and over until my mother made me put it down. It was only $5!
Haven't seen that one yet - Just went through all of the ones that they have On Comcast On Demand - And I want more!!!

Wow - Your parents would let you buy a mummified hand?! CURSES!!

I need to go to flea markets more often... Did you see the guy who was trying to see the two-headed duckling? He said he got it from a flea market... Of course it turned out to be a fake, but still - rogue taxidermy is ridiculously cool in my book.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Cranky

There's a new episode On Demand. Have you seen it yet? Some great medical devices and cat taxidermy.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 AM
HDC Idol

I did!

The guy with the massive medical equipment collection - That collection was incredible. I'd love to be able to tour his home. Wish I had the funds to collect like that. Really do...

As for the cat taxidermy... To be honest, I'd never want to stuff one of my dead cats... But the mounting that he did of the full skeleton was absolutely gorgeous. It really was. And doing the "exploding skull" for the partial... While I did find it disturbing, it had this real macabre beauty to it... There's truly an art to that kind of work. That was a fantastic episode.

I love the model/mortician - She's been on there twice, now. The corset/medical brace that she bought was absolutely gorgeous.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Whip In My Valise

LOVE this show! I don't go to NYC too often, but that shop is pretty tempting.:D
Old 06-11-2011, 09:44 PM
mostly ghostly?

Yeah, I really dig this show, too. I just happened to catch it once late last year, and I've been watching it somewhat regularly ever since. The history, the customers, the items, and the owners are all so entertaining.