Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Little Boo

ASYLUM 33D Kickstarter. Could we get some feedback please? Not live yet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...token=ca56149d

Asylum 33D is a horror story Kickstarter we'll be launching very soon. However before we set our Kickstarter page to go live, we want to get feedback from this community on how it thinks we can improve. Asylum 33D is a story we've been developing for many months and it's finally gotten to the point where we believe we're ready to share it with the world. However, we need your help.

We've been close to the project for so long that we'd like a pair of fresh eyes to take a long hard look. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Twitter: @ZenDavis
FB: [email protected]
E-Mail: [email protected]

Last edited by ZenDavis; 08-06-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Cranky

To be honest I find most of the rewards overpriced, but I feel that way about most kickstarters.

$60 for an autographed copy of a book by an unknown author? Neil Gaiman didn't even charge that on his recent signing tour.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Horror Fan

Yeah if I'm gonna take my chances on an unknown commodity and plunk down 10000 clams I want the comic to basically revolve around myself killing zombies. That way if it tanks I'll at least be able to say I had my own comic run. :cool:

Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
To be honest I find most of the rewards overpriced, but I feel that way about most kickstarters.

$60 for an autographed copy of a book by an unknown author? Neil Gaiman didn't even charge that on his recent signing tour.
You make a fair point. :)

A lot of our funding will go towards creating an art book, graphic, and visual novels. All great artists are expensive and 3D character artists are even more expensive. The majority of this cash would go towards hiring these individuals to bring Asylum 33D to life throughout these various formats.

Further, though a lot of people use Kickstarter as a pre-order service, it really isn't intended to be that. Kickstarter is an option to support projects that otherwise couldn't exist without your backing.

Going the typical publishing route would take creative control out of our hands, along with giving all rights to Asylum 33D to the publishing house. It wouldn't be ours anymore and that would break our hearts.

We respect your decision to do what wish with your hard earned money. However, if anyone chooses to lend us their support, we will kill ourselves making Asylum 33D as amazing as we can for you.

Last edited by ZenDavis; 08-06-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Cranky

Yep, totally aware of what the purpose of kickstarter is, and I don't believe anybody here suggested you should go through readitional publishing methods.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Little Boo

Of course. We completely understand. :)

The issue of traditional publishing was brought up because it goes hand in hand with the reward pricing. Our goal is to get funded in such a way where we don't have to move towards the traditional publishing model. The issue is on our minds right now and isn't anything anyone here specifically brought up.

Most Kickstarters set their reward tiers in such a way as to reward individuals who wish to support a project with more than just the bare minimum of funding. That's why if someone looks at a Kickstarter project with only the intent of purchasing a product, then yes, I agree the majority of Kickstarter rewards are overpriced.

However, if a backer approaches a Kickstarter page with the intent of supporting a project, instead of purchasing a product, then it isn't a matter of a reward being overpriced as much a backer giving as much as they're comfortable with to help a project reach fruition. That backer is just simply receiving a reward for the amount of support they wish to provide a project with. That said, thank you for taking the time to look through our page and offer us feedback.

Though I'm a little confused regarding the autograph...

The autographed copy of the Asylum 33D paperback is set at $25 and not the $60 you mentioned. Our $60 reward will be a custom print of the book with a customized note to the backer and will include a number of unique Asylum 33D stickers exclusive to that tier. These books will not be mass produced and as such the cost to print them will increase. That's a lot more than what I've most Kickstater such projects do although I could be wrong.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Cranky

Simmer down professor! Like I said- well aware what the purpose of a kickstarter campaign is. I'm 57 years old- do you think I got here without knowing how fundraising works?

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Little Boo

We've gone ahead and readjusted our rewards based on the feedback by neverending. Have a look and post your thoughts! :)
Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Cranky

Looks groovy man.