Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

View Poll Results: Another tournament?
Yes! 13 92.86%
No!! 0 0%
Not now 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 AM
For Vendetta

Working on 2 ideas since yesterday - a shorter one scraping through the bottom of the barrels, and a longer one which involves some more research.

Let's start the shorter one.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 AM
For Vendetta

Turns out the longer tournament idea has a huge scope to be epic.

I hope you all are a patient bunch, voters. A gigantic tournament is headed your way soon.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 AM
HDC's old chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Turns out the longer tournament idea has a huge scope to be epic.

I hope you all are a patient bunch, voters. A gigantic tournament is headed your way soon.
I'm intrigued!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 AM
For Vendetta

Quick question - if you are listing the characters from a film/series, do you list the creatures/robots/machines in the films under characters as well?

For e.g., for 2001: A Space Odyssey, we have the character David Bowman (and other minor characters). Is HAL 9000 a character too?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 AM
HDC's old chick

Quote:
Quick question - if you are listing the characters from a film/series, do you list the creatures/robots/machines in the films under characters as well?

For e.g., for 2001: A Space Odyssey, we have the character David Bowman (and other minor characters). Is HAL 9000 a character too?
If you're asking me, personally, and not as a rule, yes, I would. Not sure what the rule would be.

EDIT: I went to IMDB. Using your example of 2001: A Space Odyssey, they do list the actor that provided the voice for HAL9000.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

I was actually going to suggest maybe a best "killer" (or in general) Robot/Cyborg/Machine tournament...but perhaps you have something similar/better in mind V :)

Yes, I would definitely consider HAL9000 to be a character.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM
For Vendetta

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
If you're asking me, personally, and not as a rule, yes, I would. Not sure what the rule would be.

EDIT: I went to IMDB. Using your example of 2001: A Space Odyssey, they do list the actor that provided the voice for HAL9000.
Providing a voice is different, don't you think?

We can judge the performance of an actor, but can we judge the performance of a machine/creature character? What about emotion? Does a machine emote? Does it have "character" to be considered as an actual character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
I was actually going to suggest maybe a best "killer" (or in general) Robot/Cyborg/Machine tournament...but perhaps you have something similar/better in mind V :)

Yes, I would definitely consider HAL9000 to be a character.
What about Wall-E, then? Would it be a character too, even though it's animated and has someone providing voice for it?

That's a nice idea, realdeal. I am working on something more comprehensive. 25% through the source material and I have 700+ shortlisted candidates! :eek:
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM
HDC's old chick

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

Providing a voice is different, don't you think?

We can judge the performance of an actor, but can we judge the performance of a machine/creature character? What about emotion? Does a machine emote? Does it have "character" to be considered as an actual character?

What about Wall-E, then? Would it be a character too, even though it's animated and has someone providing voice for it?

That's a nice idea, realdeal. I am working on something more comprehensive. 25% through the source material and I have 700+ shortlisted candidates! :eek:
Yes and yes. :D
Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
Yes and yes. :D
You just made my job a lot more harder. :D
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:

Think about the "Short Circuit" movies and Johnny 5. He most certainly showed emotion :) He was "really pissed off" at Oscar after being betrayed in Part 2.

On the reverse side, it made "me" cry as a kid when they killed him even though he was just a machine...