Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 10-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Scares Little Kids

I agree with you Loomis...I love that hands-on approach to filmmaking. Cabin Fever showed signs of it...to me it had that essential quality that all good independent films have. That slightly rough, unrefined appearence that can't be defined, but you know it when it's there.

I see what you mean about the FX. However, I'm not trying to sway you here, but let me offer you another perspective on the NOES effects. I think it should be taken in the context of the movie...here you have a movie that exploits dreams and the use of them to kill someone. Weird crap happens in dreams and I think they wanted to show that when they could. Could they have done it a better way? Perhaps. But the essence of that movie revolves around the dream state and they played that up which I don't think is a bad thing. And I don't think they overdid it either. Again, it's all a matter of opinion and I respect yours, i just wanted to provide a different view.

All in all, it is a cyclic genre. Just when you think it's dead and gone, there is a rebirth. Horror is neccessary in this society, whether fundamentalist Christian groups, concerned parents, or anybody else may like it or not. Good or bad, it will always be here.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:18 PM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
I think our expectations are so high right now that we may miss these pioneers altogether. It's simply impossible to please horror fans (myself included). I mean, when was the last one? When did the last pioneer of horror emerge?

Think about it. When you say horror, certain names come to mind: Carpenter, Hooper, Romero, Raimi, Barker et al. None of these names emerged during the 90's. They are all filmmakers of the 70's and 80's. What the fuck happened in the 90's?
Old 10-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Scares Little Kids

The 1990s was a dull era full-stop - No major wars to speak of - The world has become a far more dangerous place to live in the last few years and what goes in a society reflects on its film culture. The era wasn't entirely without merit though - Carpenter showed half a return to form with "In The Mouth..." "Candyman" was a good little chiller. "Se7en" was awesome - I'll go out on a limb here and say that even "Fight Club" had some roots in horror. (If you can call "Psycho" a horror film then I think you could argue the case for FC) "Scream" wasn't entirely bad. Rounding the decade off with "Blair Witch" the 90s ended on a bit of a high. The decade was also a bit of a bonus for UK audiences because it saw the theatrical releases of "The Exorcist" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". (re-released after a lengthy ban by the BBFC) On a change of note, am I the only one who thinks that David Lynch is something of a horror buff - "Fire Come Walk With Me" was twisted enough to call itself a horror flick - Any thoughts?
Old 10-29-2003, 07:43 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Quote:
Originally posted by Loomis99
The 1990s was a dull era full-stop - No major wars to speak of - The world has become a far more dangerous place to live in the last few years and what goes in a society reflects on its film culture. The era wasn't entirely without merit though - Carpenter showed half a return to form with "In The Mouth..." "Candyman" was a good little chiller. "Se7en" was awesome - I'll go out on a limb here and say that even "Fight Club" had some roots in horror. (If you can call "Psycho" a horror film then I think you could argue the case for FC) "Scream" wasn't entirely bad. Rounding the decade off with "Blair Witch" the 90s ended on a bit of a high. The decade was also a bit of a bonus for UK audiences because it saw the theatrical releases of "The Exorcist" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". (re-released after a lengthy ban by the BBFC) On a change of note, am I the only one who thinks that David Lynch is something of a horror buff - "Fire Come Walk With Me" was twisted enough to call itself a horror flick - Any thoughts?
I agree with everything you said, but no luminaries of the genre appeared in the 90's. That's all I was getting at.

As far as Lynch goes, his movies are as fucked up as they get. I'm still trying to figure Mulholland Drive out. I know I loved it, but I don't know why. Lost Highway was also weird as balls, and Blue Velvet was great. I've only seen pieces of Fire Walk With Me so I can't comment on that (only the gunshot to the head was damn fantastic). I don't know if he qualifies as horror or not, but he scares the hell out of me.

By the way, if anyone has any thoughts about Mulholland Drive that could help unravel the mystery, PM me.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Scares Little Kids

I haven't seen Mulholland Drive, but its supposed to be a real headshrinker. What I love about Lynch is the way in which he melds so many different cinematic styles into his work. I hadn't seen anything like "Twin Peaks" before - The series had me cracking up laughing or scared witless - With heavy doses of surreality in between. NB. I've just heard word that a Cabin Fever 2 is in the works. It's not the most exciting thing I've heard all day, but you can't win them all.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:31 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by avenger00soul

By the way, if anyone has any thoughts about Mulholland Drive that could help unravel the mystery, PM me.

Whatd'ya wanna know? PM me with questions, I've watched it a few times, and read quite a few articles on it and interviews with Lynch so I have a lot of thoughts on it.

Interestingly enough, Eli Roth worked for David Lynch and he was sort of his psuedo-mentor.

Eli said that he did some animation for his website, but he used to always have Eli come up to his house in the Hollywood Hills, and they would fill dummies with raw meat and intestines and stuff and then film the wolves that live on his property attacking them. He said that's just the stuff he does with David. lol