Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Comics
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Chrono's Lesbian Lover

I've been reading Watchmen here and there, trying to re-read it before the movie comes out. I forgot how awesome it is.
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Strangers in Paradise: Volume 1. I was surprised by how little it sucked.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycom5k View Post
I've been reading Watchmen here and there, trying to re-read it before the movie comes out. I forgot how awesome it is.
Same here, only I didn't own it so I went and picked it up. Borders is having a great sale where all graphics novels are buy 2 get one free.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 AM
HDC Idol

Just finished Fell: Feral City Volume 1 by Warren Ellis.

I absolutely recommend this graphic novel. It's a series of macabre noir vignettes that take place in Snowtown, the proverbial town across the bridge. At first slightly formulaic and simplistic, Fell: Feral City turns into a pretty compelling series of dark crime stories following Detective Fell who, of course, has his own dark secrets to tell.

A quick read coupled with brilliant art by Ben Templesmith, this book is worth picking up. I'm pretty psyched for Volume 2.

Some of the art:

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 10-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Evil Puppy

Thanks for the heads up Chrono, I'll keep my eye out for that one, it looks great!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:35 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Thanks for the heads up Chrono, I'll keep my eye out for that one, it looks great!
Hope you enjoy it. Again, it's a little simplistic and serendipitous at first, but the vignettes get a little more mature and the artwork is honestly brilliant.

If you have any horror comics/graphic novel recommendations, send 'em this way. :D

Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Evil Dead

You'd probably like the Cal McDonald/criminal macabre stuff.

Just got through reading my weekly slew of comics...man, DC really has to get over this "crisis" bullshit they keep doing...these crossover events are just long, drawn out, and mainly not worth it.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Hope you enjoy it. Again, it's a little simplistic and serendipitous at first, but the vignettes get a little more mature and the artwork is honestly brilliant.

If you have any horror comics/graphic novel recommendations, send 'em this way. :D
To be honest I've just gotten into graphic novels and I haven't read many comics in YEARS. I would suggest you check out a comic called "Kick Ass!", pick up the first few issues and tell me what you think.

As far as Fell being simplistic, the art looks like it could help me trudge through a weak beginning fairly easily.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
You'd probably like the Cal McDonald/criminal macabre stuff.
I just did a few Amazon searches on Criminal Macabre and it looks AMAZING (the Dark Horse Comics collection has art by Ben Templesmith too!).

Thanks for the rec - I really want to check it out. Now here's a rather simplistic question... There's so much out there under the Crimial Macabre name... Where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
To be honest I've just gotten into graphic novels and I haven't read many comics in YEARS. I would suggest you check out a comic called "Kick Ass!", pick up the first few issues and tell me what you think.

As far as Fell being simplistic, the art looks like it could help me trudge through a weak beginning fairly easily.
Is this the Kick-Ass comic that you're talking about? Looks like a hardcover collection is coming out soon. I'll have to keep my eye open for it. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Kick-Ass-Mark-...5036403&sr=1-1

Old 10-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Evil Dead

Yeah, I think Mark Millar did the title he's referring to...it's pretty good...

The Criminal Macabre stuff...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Macabre

That should help.

Also, check out "The Lurkers" you might like that, and "courtney crumrin"