Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

5 Days A Stranger

The first episode in the John DeFoe series, this is classic adventure gaming. Well put together and not overly hard, the game sticks to what adventure fans love: item based puzzle solving with a strong plot. It looks dated, but the graphics on adventure games have never mattered that much to me as long as they're fun.

There are no illogical puzzles or extremely hard one pixel point finds. There are also none of the infamous dead ends that adventure games became notorious for in the 80's. It's also FreeWare (the entire quadrilogy is) crafted by a guy who obviously shares the passion with me for a dying genre.

If you love old school adventure, give this a go. I'm getting ready to play the next three right now!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:59 AM
Evil Dead

The one with the thief guy that got stuck in the haunted mansion?
Yeah, that was awesome...some genuinely scary moments considering how old it looked...very well done for an independant developer...not too hard to finish.
Didn't know there was more?
How's it all going?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

He made three more in the series, though I haven't played them yet. I've downloaded the second one, but I'm currently re-visiting Heroes Quest I right now.

Apparently Lucas Arts has opened up their SCUMM engine for anyone to use, so there are a lot of people out there developing old school adventure games to play. This is exciting to me, and I'm trying to donate to their cause as much as I can.

I'll fill you in further once I get to play episode II.