Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 AM
HDC Idol

The title of this thread keeps making me giggle so I had to comment...

I wasn't a fan of either of his Halloweens; I thought that, especially the second one had unnecessary arthouse crap in it.

That being said, I really loved House of 1,000 Corpses. It was absolutely horrifying in a disgusting, grotesque kind of way that I hadn't seen before. I appreciated the fact that it tested my nerves without completely scaring me away. I think that the horror was like an artful symphony that climaxed with - SPOILERS - the actual reveal of Dr. Satan (I MEAN HE'S CALLED DR. SATAN).

It's been a while, so I should watch it again, but what really hit me was that the horror truly made my jaw drop - It shocked me. And I loved it.

That being said, I have a hard time watching The Devil's Rejects because of the exploitative, truly disturbing nature of it - Perhaps that's odd because I enjoyed House of 1,000 corpses, but Devil's Rejects made me too uncomfortable to sit through.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Cranky

I quite enjoyed the film as well. It had its flaws but I appreciated its take on American roadside, rural horror. These types of attraction are gone today, but in the 50s or 60s, when people took long road trips you could fine "horror houses" dotting the landscape. One enterprising individual even managed to get ahold of Ed Gein's car and turned that into an attraction. The film was a really fresh take on horror in American society.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 AM
Evil Dead

Hey, neverending's back! I heard your computer died and I was bummed for you. Glad your back on the horse.

I haven't been around much either. Been super busy on a project that I can't announce yet, but you guys are going to love it. Also had my second kid. She's cute and poops a lot.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm a Rob Zombie fan. Not an uber-fan, but I like all his movies, and have seen 1000 Corpses more times than any of them. I like NE's insight about rural attractions from the 50s and 60s. I probably would have begged my parents to stop at one of those.

I disagree with the notion that Zombie's stuff is all the same. I actually think they're all quite different, aside from them all being littered with F-bombs. Lords of Salem was his most mature effort, and least dependent on shocking, visceral violence. (Although those gross, ugly witches were a bit shocking.) I think this was his fulfillment of what he attempted in Halloween 2, spiraling the narrative down a rabbit hole of surrealism. Devil's Rejects was probably his most cohesive delivery, but I prefer Corpses' unique stream of consciousness style and black humor.

I'm looking forward to Zombie's upcoming movie about the Manson murders.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

From what I've seen from Rob Zombie.

House Of 1000 Corpses - Lets rip off Tobe Hooper and call it paying homage or re-imaging.

The Devil's Rejects - Let's ignore what I did in my first movie and pretty much everything about it and make a 70's exploitation action adventure film instead.

After seeing those movies my main thought was "Hey, at least Bill Mosley will become popular" and Bill is now highly in demand for films and having met him, am very happy for him. He is such a great guy and I love to see him working, even if it's not a film I care for, I still like to see him out there working. As far as the movies go though, I could care less if I ever see either of them again.

Halloween - Good casting with Scout Taylor-Compton. She did a great job and was a perfect follow up to the character Jamie Lee Curtis created. Unfortunately the rest of the film and the backstory of Michael Myers did nothing for me and did not enhance the story in anyway.

Halloween 2 - Total garbage. Destroyed the character of Laurie Strode and everything the legacy of Halloween stood for.

The Lords Of Salem - Double garbage. Yes, Rob we all know you're in love with the 70's exploitation, atmospheric, trippy films. Yes, I understand you're trying to make something more Art House...but you sadly failed on every level of execution. You had an O.K. idea and several good actors, but missed the boat with everything else. You can't rely on trippy irony for the entire film without losing all tension and the ability to tell any sort of narrative.

I would suggest Rob Zombie quit trying to write his own films and get an actual writer, or if he is going to purse "Absolute Film" in the horror genre then he needs to watch more Lucio Fulci and take notes on how to do it effectively.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Little Boo

I didn't see Devil's Rejects, but I did see House of 1000 Corpses and the family was just irritating. Especially Baby Firefly and her voice! I don't even know why they kill people who come to them.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Evil Dead

In general, I'm not a big fan of Rob Zombies movies (cool guy, though!), but "House of 1000 Corpses" is the one that I actually really liked... particularly the Captain Spaulding character. I DO think the movie is overrated, possibly because of the fanbase that Rob Zombie already had from his music carreer, so I kind of get what you mean - but I did enjoy it. "The Devils Rejects", however, was really disappointing.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:28 AM
Evil Dead

I love this guy's review of Lords of Salem. (The other reviews on this page are pretty great too. My favorite quote:

Quote:
I understand that taking an internet dump on Rob Zombie has become a national pastime. But I can’t get with that party. I f*cking love this movie, and deeply respect his choices here.
http://www.fangoria.com/new/nightmar...films-of-2013/
Old 05-26-2014, 08:07 AM
Evil Dead

I haven't seen that movie yet... I will give it a chance at some point.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon View Post
I haven't seen that movie yet... I will give it a chance at some point.
It's pretty far out there. I liked it, but can see why many wouldn't. It's his only film that's not riddled with rednecks spewing F-bombs, and I don't mind if he's now graduated from that phase.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
Here's how I'd rank the Rob Zombie films I have seen:

1. House of 1,000 Corpses
2. Devil's Rejects
3. Lords of Salem

I like House because I felt like, at the time, we were overdue for a genuinely aggressive horror film. This was before exploitation style films saw their revival, so I was glad to see something that was unabashedly violent, gory, and over-the-top. I also loved the scene where he (Zombie) prolonged the suspense of the cop getting shot by Otis.