Old 05-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post

Free Speech For The Dumb.
Indeed, stupid people. But they have the right to say it anyway. I bet for every opinion I have EVER made there is someone who disagreed with it, but nonetheless I was allowed to say it. Just because there are more of us who disagree with them, doesn't mean they have lost that right.

(I know you weren't saying they didn't deserve it, just wanted to fully make my point).

The Ferrets like it...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Inquisitor Generalis

Yeah as stupid as it gets, but they are obviously smart enough to stay in the borderland for whats allowed and not. A new racism section perhaps...?
This is from our penal code in Norway :

"Penal Code § 135a

Anyone who willfully or through gross negligence publicly put forward a discriminatory or hateful speech be punished by fines or imprisonment for up to 3 years. Same with a public utterance made, see § 7, paragraph 2, is considered an expression when it is set up so that it is suitable to reach a larger number of people. As an utterance is considered the use of symbols. Complicity is punishable in the same way.
With discriminatory or hateful speech does it mean to threaten or insulting anyone, or promote hatred, persecution or contempt towards anyone because of their:
a) skin color, or national or ethnic origin,
b) religion or belief, or
c) gays orientation, lifestyle or orientation.

Added by Act June 5, 1970 No. 1934, as amended by Laws May 8, 1981 No. 14, January 10, 2003 No. 2, 3 June 2005 No 33 (effective January 1, 2006 according to Decree. 17 June 2005 No 608) ."

Is this an apropriate law section? Or do you think it comes in the way for the `freedom` of speach? Interested in your opinions guys...

If you find some parts in the text making no sense, its probably because i used google translator...

"The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 AM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretchucker View Post
Indeed, stupid people. But they have the right to say it anyway. I bet for every opinion I have EVER made there is someone who disagreed with it, but nonetheless I was allowed to say it. Just because there are more of us who disagree with them, doesn't mean they have lost that right.

(I know you weren't saying they didn't deserve it, just wanted to fully make my point).
they are allowed to say what they want, it doesn't mean they can't be beaten horribly afterwards.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:

There is a difference between exercising your freedom of speech and jeopardizing public safety by inciting a riot or commiting a hate crime.

The Phelps clan is very well-versed in the law and exactly how much they can get away with in terms of demonstrating, but they might've finally gone too far. Not too long ago, the father of a soldier who died and was brought back for his funeral got understandably upset when the Phelps clan showed up to demonstrate (they don't like U.S. soldiers because U.S. soldiers defend a country that defends homosexuality or some crazy reason like that);so he managed to arrange to question their actions in the State Supreme Court.

Yes, I understand that groups like the Phelps clan have the right to say how they feel, but spewing hatred at a funeral? Phelps is a sick SOB.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Inquisitor Generalis

Deportation of the Phelps to Vozrozhdeniya would be a nice solution -

"The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."
Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Oh yeah, it's completely immoral and sick. I watched a programme on them a while back. They're homophobic hate mongers who have no solid arguments for what they preach and are dictated by an idiot.

HOWEVER. They ARE staying within the law. Technically.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Oh yeah, it's completely immoral and sick. I watched a programme on them a while back. They're homophobic hate mongers who have no solid arguments for what they preach and are dictated by an idiot.

HOWEVER. They ARE staying within the law. Technically.
Hopefully after the State Supreme Court gets involved, they will make it illegal to picket at a funeral.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 PM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
LOL ferret, you sure love "rights"

Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

I don't get it, but I'm pretty sure that was some sort of joke at my expense...

The Ferrets like it...
Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Misanthrope