Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Little Red

Thoughts on Oculus?

I went in expecting another cut and paste paranormal horror movie, and I was shocked at how much I enjoyed Oculus! I haven't heard anyone else talking about it. I thought the use of editing in the film was amazing. I was scared, invested in the characters in the plot, and still constantly questioning what was real- which is hard to get all in one horror film lately.

Anyone else who saw it, what did you think?
Old 03-21-2015, 05:37 AM
Evil Dead

it wasn't too memorable. It was too slow for its kind of film. And i'm very sick of 'is this real or not?' films. Karen Gillan was good as she seems to always be, but that did not save the film.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 AM
Misanthrope

This one was a lot better than I was expecting. I dug how it got the darker 70s occult/haunting flick vibe down pretty well particularly the bleak hopelessness of the ending and the themes of trouble behind the curtains of a seemingly "normal" family home.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Little Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
it wasn't too memorable. It was too slow for its kind of film. And i'm very sick of 'is this real or not?' films. Karen Gillan was good as she seems to always be, but that did not save the film.
I do agree, the beginning was a bit slow imo. I have to say that I, myself, am personally kinda sick of the overly meta factor movies are trying to do. The beginning of Scream 4 annoyed me to no end.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Little Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
This one was a lot better than I was expecting. I dug how it got the darker 70s occult/haunting flick vibe down pretty well particularly the bleak hopelessness of the ending and the themes of trouble behind the curtains of a seemingly "normal" family home.
Right! It reminded me very much of the shining. I think the whole "mother going after her children" subject is pretty taboo and I like seeing it executed well. Same goes for the Babadook.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Evil Dead

I thought it was really bad. I found it to be boring and not really going any where.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:28 PM
No Tears Please...

I wasn't a fan... I saw this while I was in LA on business. The theater was completely empty. It should have been terrifying, instead, meh... My hotel room had a huge wall of mirrors, I shouldn't have been able to sleep, but, meh. Just not scary enough.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
I wasn't a fan... I saw this while I was in LA on business. The theater was completely empty. It should have been terrifying, instead, meh... My hotel room had a huge wall of mirrors, I shouldn't have been able to sleep, but, meh. Just not scary enough.
You had the theater to yourself? That sounds fun.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:24 PM
No Tears Please...

Yeah, it was a ghetto theater. The movie had been out to long to be at normal theaters. I was a little uneasy, but it wasn't the movie. More the area.

I saw The Quiet Ones there too. It was a better movie.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
My date and I had the entire theatre for Saw. And we actually watched most of it. Saw was a great film, the rest are fairly bad.