Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-25-2006, 02:23 PM
The Queen of Swords

Send a message via AIM to Haunted
Nonfiction Anyone? (Horror Themed of course)

So I'm reading this book on demons and devils by some doctorate of history/religious studies/anthropology at some acredited uni here in the States.

The unfortunate thing is that I know more than he does. That's sad. I don't know much about demons and devils, because they aren't really my bag of tricks, right.

It occurs to me that...

1. Old ways never die... According to the author all manner of Witchcraft, even "White":rolleyes: Witchcraft is dangereous because it deals with the forces of darkness.:rolleyes:

2. People who have no understand of the Occult should never write about it ever. He tells of a grimoire he came upon, but wouldn't buy because he was afraid of infernal influence. However, he's dedicated time to writing a book about demons and devils. Yeah, it didn't make any sense to me either.

He has a book on Witchcraft and the Occult, and I'm either afraid to read them or buy them for a good laugh.

So, as far as nonfiction goes, what do you like or do you like to read nonfiction? (again...horror themed, of course)
Old 06-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Tenant

Well I aspire to be a director, so I love reading non-fiction books and pieces on horror filmmakers.

I just read a book called "Cut!", and it was a, like, 14 part book of 14 horror screenwriters, such as Clive Barker, talking about the job, or a specific job. Very cool book.

Anyway, that kind of thing.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:29 PM
EVIL CON CARNE

..Non ficiton?? well historical books about ancient cultures specialy abuot Rome or Greeck. And a bunch of books about music.

At last but for my job tecnic/law books....that makes me puke but it's my job
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to evil_deadman
i have the following titles..mostly about the paranormal and bizarre occurances which interest me quite a bit and i have read mostly just bits and pieces of them..they are....

Strange and unexplained phenomena by Jerome Clark and Nancy Pear

Strange Unsolved Mysteries by Margaret Ronan

Strange Prophecies that came true by Stewart Robb

World of the strange by Susy Smith

Stranger than Science by Frank Edwards

Enigma of the Unknown by John Macklin

I have other non-fiction such as an elvis presley book by 3 of his body guards (some eye opening stuff about the King in that one), Helter Skelter ,a book on cults as well as Raising Hell the encyclopedia of devil worship and satanic crime as well as an awesome heavy metal book i bought recently..Sound of the Beast : the complete headbanging history of heavy metal..i also have some joke books and books of lists..etc .and thats mainly it for my non fiction..the rest..sheer awesome horror fiction..hehehe:D
Old 06-30-2006, 04:31 PM
whatever gets you through

i like to read books on horror films - often fairly academic books in film studies. . . i read a book called Shocking Representations, but i didn't like it that much, and a book a while back called Projected Fears, which i really liked and found helpful in justifying my horror film obsession among my less-favorable friends.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:17 AM
Evil Dead

Thumbs up

They sold horror comics in the eighties here in Denmark that I bougthin the local stores.

Lately did I rent a book in the library about ghosts, werewolves and vampire legends from Romania.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Misanthrope

I try and pick up most books on horror films that I come across..... mainly cheap ones at the moment.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Ssh...did you hear that?

Send a message via Yahoo to Miss Olivia
I recently read The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer. While it doesn't quite qualify as horror, it's a pretty harsh book, about the last death by firing squad in Nevada. Good read.
Let your bloodline feed my youth
------------------------------
Ssshhh....did you hear that?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to evil_deadman
There is a book at my local library i'd love to own ,on horror fiction, called Hooked on Horror, It has different categories,(slasher/splatterpunk/technohorror etc etc.) as well as anthologies and collections .each book mentioned has a brief sypnosis and each categorie also has a few examples on film as well!

another book that my library used to have.(but as it turns out...mysteriously dissapeared), that i can't remember the name of ,but that i'd also love to own is based on horror movies.it went by decade and had tons of foreign and obscure movies in it.but i think it just went up to 1984 ,probably around the time the book was published! many films had photos..but as i said..the name of the book escapes me:confused:

I had checked out the last book ,but the first one is a reference book ,i'd give anything to check it out.or better yet..own it!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to azathoth777 Send a message via Yahoo to azathoth777
Quote:
Originally posted by evil_deadman
There is a book at my local library i'd love to own ,on horror fiction, called Hooked on Horror, It has different categories,(slasher/splatterpunk/technohorror etc etc.) as well as anthologies and collections .each book mentioned has a brief sypnosis and each categorie also has a few examples on film as well!

another book that my library used to have.(but as it turns out...mysteriously dissapeared), that i can't remember the name of ,but that i'd also love to own is based on horror movies.it went by decade and had tons of foreign and obscure movies in it.but i think it just went up to 1984 ,probably around the time the book was published! many films had photos..but as i said..the name of the book escapes me:confused:

I had checked out the last book ,but the first one is a reference book ,i'd give anything to check it out.or better yet..own it!
You should check Amazon.com, I've found a few horror movie books there that I never thought I'd see. Some fairly hard to find stuff to.
Of course, eBay...

Do true crime books count?
i demand and expect quality.
right now, once and for all.
quality time.