Old 07-14-2016, 05:30 PM
The Original Copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Witch doctors drugging, burying, causing oxygen starved brain damaged, witch-doctor obeying traditional zombies -- are zombies.

Virus, cosmic radiation, etc, infected people who are walking or running around trying to eat or kill people, are all zombie enough for me too.

But demon possessed, that's not a zombie.
I echo this sentiment completely. Doesn't matter how torn up the body is, demon possession is a whole different animal.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:37 AM
Little Boo

Hi, new poster. Just wanted to add my two cents on this topic as it's one of my favorite amongst horror genre. I noticed a lot have already said this but demonic possession zombies I do not consider to be a part of the "zombie" genre. Typically they don't hoard and mass and overrun the earth. It's usually a localized event/issue that affects a single character or set of characters.

On the other hand 28 Days Later, while skirting the "zombie" line, (rage "virus," contagion, running/fast zombies) is still more in the zombie genre because even though it isn't "the dead resurrected" in some way, it is still following the contagion/apocalyptic tones and themes that many zombie movies embody. It's just taking those elements and looking at the zombie genre in a different way.

What for me sets a zombie genre isn't necessarily the dead reanimated, it's the apocalyptic or breaking down of society themes, it's the dread, it's the idea of the entire world essentially ending and only a handful (or one) survivor making their way in a world broken and completely wrong.