Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nayami_ View Post
:p i have also realized that some people are like you as well, but I'm just stating my opinion. i don't really know any other place that has rock paper scissors as a national sport. kinda embarrassing to me.
Pshaw, even the Japanese love Rock, Paper, Scissors.

When Takashi Hashiyama, CEO of a Japanese television equipment manufacturer, decided to auction off the collection of Impressionist paintings owned by his corporation, including works by Cézanne, Picasso and van Gogh, he contacted two leading U.S. auction houses, Christie's International and Sotheby's Holdings, seeking their proposals on how they would bring the collection to the market as well as how they would maximize the profits from the sale. Both firms made elaborate proposals, but neither was persuasive enough to get Hashiyama’s business. Willing to split up the collection into separate auctions, Hashiyama asked the firms to decide between themselves who would get the Cézanne's "Large Trees Under the Jas de Bouffan", worth $12-16 million.

The houses were unable to reach a decision. Hashiyama told the two firms to play Rock, Paper, Scissors to decide who would get the rights to the auction, explaining that "it probably looks strange to others, but I believe this is the best way to decide between two things which are equally good".

Oh, and it's a national thing. Since 2002 when the "sport" held national championships there have been 9 Canadian "medalists", 5 American, and 1 British.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
I like asian horror quite a bit more than western horror. It's because it's more disturbing than scary. The movies set up the characters really well in the beginning so you connect with them and then throw in a twist right near the end. If you don't have the attention span to last until the good stuff I can see why you wouldn't like it.

I've seen asian horror that I don't like, but often times those movies are sequels being pushed because the original did very well.

You also have to keep in mind that most asian directors aren't making these movies for American's they're making them for themselves and the people around them. What the Japanese find scary, you might not.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Grimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmacabre View Post

You also have to keep in mind that most asian directors aren't making these movies for American's they're making them for themselves and the people around them. What the Japanese find scary, you might not.
I definitely agree.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
Fucking let this thread die...It's an incoherent pile of wank which has no basis or grounding - and in fact is just completely wrong.

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Evil Dead

Bump........
Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
Haha...Damn you! :p

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.