Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Art
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
HDC Idol

Insect Lab

Talk about transhumanism and steampunk delight!!

Borrowing from science fiction and science fact, Insect Lab customizes real insect specimens with antique watch parts. From beetles to butterflies to scorpions, every work is a celebration of the contradictions and confluences between nature and technology.

http://www.insectlabstudio.com/

Ridiculously creepy-cool.

And I just bought this one for my boyfriend for our 2-year anniversary!

I also LOVE the guy's ideology:

Statement

Robot-like insects and insect-like robots are the stuff of science fiction and science fact.

In science fiction, insects are frequently featured in the role of robotic critters. Either scurrying across the galaxy as invading aliens or as robo-bug counterparts to a futuristic human race. There are countless examples in TV, movies, video games, comic books, even on rock and roll album covers, (see Journey’s “Escape” circa 1981,). From Cronos to The Golden Compass, the insect/robot archetype has been used, re-used and re-imagined countless times.

In reality, engineers look to insect movement, wing design and other characteristics for inspiration of new technology. Some of the most advanced "aircraft" is no bigger, or heavier, than a dragonfly, and NASA scientists are making big steps in walking rovers and “swarm theory” probes for planetary exploration. Manmade technology is finding that the most manuverable and efficient design features really does come from nature.

Ironically and often, this technology closely resembles the musings of science fiction.

This hybridization of insects and technology from both fields, is where Insect Lab borrows from. Insect Lab celebrates these correspondences and contradictions. The work does not intend to function, but playfully and slyly insists that it possibly could.

My geek glands are tingling with joy!!!

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

those are cool ... Hayao Miyazaki cool
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Zydrate Anatomy

Whoa! Those are awesome.....and actually rather creepy at the same time. :p
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Misanthrope

Wow! I want one :)

A guy near here makes massive bugs and other stuff out of pipes and shit. I'll have to take a photo so you guys can check it out some of it looks really impressive.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Scares Little Kids

I love them.. Especially The Praying Mantis~!!:)
Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 PM
HDC Idol

Glad you guys enjoy!

I just received the one that I ordered for my boyfriend (got it sent to work and, well, now my coworkers think I'm weirder... than usual) and I am absolutely psyched. It's a larger specimen than I had expected (mounted in a HUGE glass dome), but I know that the boyfriend is going to LOVE it when I surprise him with it for our anniversary. :):):)

I actually wound up getting him this one instead of the one I previously mentioned:

It's pretty damn awesome.

The artist is coming to a craft show in Boston in a couple of weeks and I'm pretty psyched to see his other specimens.

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 03-14-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
I've looked at these soo many times but I imagine they would look much nicer in real life. I tried to order a bunch of old watch parts off of ebay a while back for all my Steampunk costumes and goggles but I lost the auction :(
Old 03-17-2009, 02:57 AM
evil little boo

Send a message via Yahoo to marianne
they are awsome i like the butterfly.

marianne
Old 03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Post-Moderation

very cool....how expensive are they?

and how big?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmacabre View Post
I've looked at these soo many times but I imagine they would look much nicer in real life. I tried to order a bunch of old watch parts off of ebay a while back for all my Steampunk costumes and goggles but I lost the auction :(
I was even MORE impressed with the beetle in person when it came in - Definitely bigger than I imagined and well-crafted.

Sorry about the lost auction - Where did you get your goggles? While in New York, we stopped by Fabulous Fanny's, an antique glasses shop that boasts goggles as well... Unfortunately, the goggles selection was a bit disappointing, so I want to look elsewhere... But there's a lot of sites out there where you can find them and I'm just not sure of the quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch View Post
very cool....how expensive are they?

and how big?
The prices range from $400 - over $1000... The one I bought my boyfriend was $700 (I was fortunate enough that I earned my annual bonus in time for our anniversary).