Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 03-15-2018, 05:40 PM
ventricle

I get what you're saying. And I certainly wouldn't make crazy assertions that people who see The Twilight Zone support actors getting decapitated by helicopters. I'm trying to be very plain about the choices people make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oro13 View Post
... But the argument that you’re financially supporting them which, by extension, means you advocate that type of behavior, is moot. They made their money already, and regardless of whether it’s a low budget cannibalsploitation movie or an award winning film that’s considered a classic, the damage is done and they got away with it. ...
If I understand you correctly, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one point. Producers and financiers are watching profits. They can see how often Cannibal Holocaust (CH) is purchased and rented... it's available at Amazon.com. No, you can't fund the film via time machine to 1980, rather, of course I'm talking about future films. More specifically, if they see there's audience dollars for scripted animal killing (for food or whatever, like in CH), it will increase the likelihood that more films like that get produced.

As far as a know, there isn't anything illegal (today) in Cannibal Holocaust, except possibly the shot pig (not sure). So yes, your current dollars will influence future films. I don't really think that's debatable. I agree it's difficult to isolate animal killing when CH is about more than that, but it's easy to make the case it was significant. Not purchasing it for that reason has a real-life effect on future films. I think you can argue the level of influence, but not that there isn't any.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:07 PM
The Original Copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
If I understand you correctly, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one point. Producers and financiers are watching profits. They can see how often Cannibal Holocaust (CH) is purchased and rented... it's available at Amazon.com. No, you can't fund the film via time machine to 1980, rather, of course I'm talking about future films. More specifically, if they see there's audience dollars for scripted animal killing (for food or whatever, like in CH), it will increase the likelihood that more films like that get produced.

As far as a know, there isn't anything illegal (today) in Cannibal Holocaust, except possibly the shot pig (not sure). So yes, your current dollars will influence future films. I don't really think that's debatable. I agree it's difficult to isolate animal killing when CH is about more than that, but it's easy to make the case it was significant. Not purchasing it for that reason has a real-life effect on future films. I think you can argue the level of influence, but not that there isn't any.
I would tend to agree with you if we were talking about a more recent film or one that was still in theatres, but we’re talking about an almost 40 year old movie that’s bounced from one distributor to another and comes in various cuts
( many of which feature the content in question removed ). Also, for as vapid and adept at missing the point as Hollywood production companies are, I seriously doubt even THEY would look at increased sales/box office for a film like Cannibal Holocaust/Cannibal Ferox/Jungle Holocaust/etc., and all they’d take away from it is “ We need moar movies with senseless animal killing in them, by George, that’s what people want to see!!!”

If anything, I’m assuming they’d think making a modern entry in the cannibal genre might be lucrative, right up until they let Eli Roth stick the same annoying douchbags from Cabin Fever in it ( plus his wife ) and it ends up being a dumpster fire with nice cinematography. Besides, the amount of fines and bad press ( and possible jail time ) from something like animal cruelty or death these days, is the kind of thing that tanks studios and torpedos careers. No one would touch it, let alone get the green light/funding to film it. Ask Cimino if it was worth dynamiting that horse in Heaven’s Gate.

I understand the concept of voting with your dollar, and I agree that we should not support media that features immoral/illegal content, but in regards to a 40 year old found footage cannibalsploitation flick that ran the gamut of censorship/bans/controversy before most people these days were even aware of it’s existence, I don’t think renting/purchasing it ( edited or not ) sends a message to anyone beyond “ that person must like cannibal flicks with wildly innapropriate, yet beautiful scores. “ Just my opinion though.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:47 AM
Evil Dead

I`m a meat eater and know how we get the food to our tables but i do not agree with prolonged agony of animal suffering.The turtle scene is horrendous as is the one with the rat thing,not sure what it was.Gutting it while alive is barbaric no matter what your viewpoints are.Kill the animal with a blow to the head but never let it suffer.

That said i love Holocaust but always fast forward those scenes.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 PM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
the vhs movies
the den
rec
creep

most found footage stuff is forgettable tho

Tags
found footage