Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 11-05-2019, 12:01 AM
Immortal horror fan

Perhaps try the original Nightmare on Elm Street and Sinister.

Which Halloween did you watch? Original, remake, or 2018?

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 11-05-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:37 AM
Little Boo

Nightmare on Elm St is on our list, but neither of us think that will scare her at all. It was the original Halloween that we watched. She enjoyed the movie, but on a scale of 1-10 she has yet to see a movie that even rates a 1.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:12 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raos View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep em coming :)
We watched a trailer for the Exorcist. That was about as far from scary to her as it could be.
Hope you two are able to see more scary films, Raos!

Sorry to say it, but watching a trailer of the Exorcist (before seeing the film) is the worst thing you can do to maximize the scare you might get for the film. Kind of ruins it. You have to be broadsided to get a scare from a horror film.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:25 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Nightmare on Elm St is on our list, but neither of us think that will scare her at all. It was the original Halloween that we watched. She enjoyed the movie, but on a scale of 1-10 she has yet to see a movie that even rates a 1.
Do you know for sure she does want to be scared... as opposed to wanting that no horror film can scare her?

It's mood and setting too. Buddies can watch a film together in afternoon while making fun of it... it's unlikely a scary film would scare them.

And of course film situations is subjective and contextual. Age matters contextually concerning what you can understand at many levels at once. And different things bother different people.

Either of you might get a scare from Dead Silence and Psycho 1960. I have some other films that might produce some fright, but probably not appropriate for a 13 girl.

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-05-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Scares Little Kids

My kids 17 her and all her friends claim nothing scares them, I think some of it's an age/cool thing

When she was 16 the one film that freaked my daughter out was George Romero's Dead time stories, it was the part about 3 people pot Bolling to be precise, look it up , I enjoyed it.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:50 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Well perhaps you should do this. Watch them separately. So if neither of you have seen Nightmare on Elm Street. Watch alone. Hopefully at night, in the dark, and with a good speakers to help.

The original Nightmare on Elm Street scared me and I probably watched it uncut on TV. But I was young. Somewhere around your daughter's age. Maybe a bit younger. It was at night, the movie probably started around 11 or midnight. After seeing it, I had to go the bathroom yet didn't want to leave my bed or even my room. And I really didn't want to go to sleep.

Sinister works too. But I had a few drinks with that one. Just like the character in the movie. I don't want to spoil it but I mentioned that one for a reason which you'll see after seeing the movie.

Halloween also scared me. Again I was young. Probably around the age of the kids in the movie or a bit older. I know I thought Jamie Lee Curtis was the best babysitter. And at the end of the movie, the idea that this guy was actually the boogeyman and still alive out there somewhere was scary.

Also, I made this topic a while back which might help.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61397
Old 11-24-2019, 10:58 PM
Hellraiser

This one is a pretty good turn-out-the-lights movie, and I am in love with Eli Degeer (The Mom)

https://youtu.be/b56PaOLyn5Q
Old 11-25-2019, 11:54 PM
Hellraiser

Blood Moon is also a good, scary film. A werewolf western!

https://youtu.be/J7L3hVNbmY4
Old 11-26-2019, 06:42 PM
Sweets to the Sweet

If your daughter is 15, I hate to say this, but I have a feeling she won't be impressed by many movies made before like 2005. I mean no disrespect to the classics, but we're in a new era now where kids aren't affected by much; they have the Internet and are incredibly desensitized.

I would say, first, stick to only movies made after 2005. I might get some disagreements here, but it's just my opinion.

A list of movies that really affected me when I first saw them:

The Strangers (2008)

Frozen (2010)*

The Ruins (2008)

Sinister (2012)

Hostel (2005)

Quarantine (2008)

Tusk (2014)

If she's not affected even a tiny bit by at least one of these, I'd say you're raising quite a badass, haha.

* Not the Disney movie, lol.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:52 PM
Sweets to the Sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Do you know for sure she does want to be scared... as opposed to wanting that no horror film can scare her?

It's mood and setting too. Buddies can watch a film together in afternoon while making fun of it... it's unlikely a scary film would scare them.

And of course film situations is subjective and contextual. Age matters contextually concerning what you can understand at many levels at once. And different things bother different people.

Either of you might get a scare from Dead Silence and Psycho 1960. I have some other films that might produce some fright, but probably not appropriate for a 13 girl.
Excellent post. Great points here.

As for the bolded part, yeah, lol, I'm curious to know the OP's restrictions for his daughter, because we can definitely offer some titles that are super "Non-Hollywood."

This is the place to be to find some crazy underground, foreign, and indie stuff, haha. So if it's a matter of scarring her for life, we can do it.