Old 11-04-2003, 05:04 AM
Undead

The Ring - How I Wasted my Saturday

I'm not looking for an argument, but rather reasons users think I should like this movie. Here is what I gathered thus far on one of the more hyped movies out there that I got tricked into seeing.

When my friends all raved about this movie, I had to see it. When the die hard, Goth friends also talked about it's spookiness, I was there. And up until the credits roled at the end...I wait for said scary part and it never came. I left feeling sore from the power-torwuing I just received.

I can think of one think...one fucking thing that allowed me to continue watching. Of the 7200 seconds involved in this movie, two got my attention. Relatively in the beginning when the main mother is talking to the mother of the dead girl from the beginning, the dead girl's mother relives finding her daughters body. Wisely, the editing crew placed two seconds of footage of the body being found in the closet surrounded by a screech of noises. This made me jump, and smile, and look forward to the rest of the movie. This is what I like to refer to as the heavy petting of the movie...since the movie itself gave me horrorcore blue-ball.

The rest of the movie was spent trying to figure out how to not die in seven days. Slowly, she pieces together a story of a tormented girl who was tossed into a well and left for dead. The girl was weird before the tossing, so it was okay and acceptable to the town. The ring (as it should not have been a surprise) was really the girls view up from the well as her mother sealed it shut. She later died in (gasp!) seven days. This all seemed fairly solid.

Then I asked myself...so why the tape? Why the VHS? The little girl, although dead, somehow has a VCR? The cure for her too was lame...make a copy and send it around. I waited hours just to figure out that this is simply an over exagerated version of the "send this to 8 people or you'll have bad luck" emails. And when you finally did see the girl attack someone...she was just a naked wet albino chick that apparentally is so ugly, you die of fright. Don't worry though...she walks really slowly.

I guess I was probably jsut taken off gaurd by what I was told was the scariest movie of all time. Maybe I expect too much...like some horror. But for whatever reason, I was completely bored in this flick and can't fathom why people would say it was a good scary movie after watching it.

My Cousin Vinny was scarier.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:03 AM
Saint of Killers

You know what is wrong with movies now days? WAY TOO MUCH HYPE!!! I agree all I heard was how scary this movie was BORING I found that Shatners performance in the second airplane flick more frightening. I rarely go to the theater now because of this. Just saw TCM at the theater dont get me wrong it was very good but I expected more. When I was told that House of 1000 corpses was having trouble being released because it was to terrifying i thought Great cant wait to see it. I loved the movie but I thought the terrifying parts were missing. I guess that I have become desensitzed to horror. But I think the hype ruins it for everyone. Matrix reloaded I saw, wasnt impressed. Remember when Titanic came out all the hype surrounding that, I thought after seeing it that it was the biggest piece of crap film I had ever seen. Just my 2 cents.

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead.

I've never been nice my whole life....but, I'll do my best to be sweet.

I keep my standards low, so I'm never disappointed.

The next words out of your mouth better be some Mark Twain shit, cos' I am going to be chiseling it on your tombstone.

Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead.

Forgive your enemies......after they are slain.

The God I believe in aint short of cash mister.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Hellacious Demon

I didn't like The Ring that much either. I expected to be scared to death but I found out that I was BORED to death. I only liked the scene in the begginning when they find the gir's body in the closet. Scary shit! But the rest of the movie was horrible. Not scary at all.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:15 AM
warprophet

hmmm.... still dont see why you didnt like it, amusing scary movie if you ask me...
Old 11-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Hellraiser

How could you not find samara crawling out of the tv scary? i nearly pissed meself:( :eek:
Old 11-04-2003, 11:47 AM
warprophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty ****
How could you not find samara crawling out of the tv scary? i nearly pissed meself:( :eek:
the music\ambinence and immages worked realy well together, i remember jumping at the sight of that catterpillar cause of the damn sound.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Evil Dead

THE RING

Loved it. One of my favorites of all time (both versions). Been a long time since I saw a movie that -- even when watching a scene that wasn't overtly *scary*, per se -- instilled such a sense of "dread" in me. Loved the "tone" . . . very unnerving . . . .

And I'm definitely with ya on the sounds, Moonsorrow. I think they were part of what made this movie really work for me. That shrill "scraping" noise (for lack of a better way to describe it) set me on edge every time.

Count me in with you RING fans.

James
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html
Old 11-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Undead

I suppose it worked for some, but I'll agree that the hype is a huge part of what killed it. Nutty's pic is a good indication of the word that spread about this movie. I found myself waiting to be "terrified" for hours, only to leave mildly annoyed.

And although I don't remember the sound when the girl crawled from the T.V., I will say it was the sound when they showed the dead girls body (in the beginning) that made me jump. So I suppose kudos are in order for the volume guy. But as for story, plot and overall scariness, I would show this movie to my neice, who will be turning three next month.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Hellraiser

i think r niece is too young i think u shuld wait until shes 3 and a half

or she can watch matrix reloaded instead
Old 11-26-2003, 07:48 PM
GoreHound

I did not find it scary, but I did enjoy it. I really find no movie to be scary these days.