Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-15-2016, 03:52 PM
ventricle

Discussion: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003; Unrealistic Violence

Discussion: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003; Unrealistic Violence

I think there's plenty of folks who liked Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003). It was very successful at the box office (though poorly received by critics).

How did the scenes of Unrealistic violence strike ya?

- While Morgan "male friend #1" was running through the bountiful amount of sheets hungout to dry, Leatherface completely lops off half of Morgan's leg with one swing of a chainsaw. It's just physically impossible...

- Leatherface stands still while Biel takes at least 3 chops at his arm, cutting it off. Leatherface is not restrained, pinned down, drugged, asleep, dazed, blinded, etc... rather he's standing, strong agile and trying to kill her.

I thought unrealistic violence was out of place, removing the suspension of disbelief, evaporating the horror.

Some films are trying to be funny and unrealistic with the action, like Evil Dead II and Dead Alive. But Chainsaw opened with the police film "true story" theme, and seemed to be trying to be realistic. Took me as jarring when it left that.

Did you even notice the violence was unrealistic? Did it bother you? Did you like it? Do you prefer unrealistic?

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-15-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Evil Sweat

Didn't notice so didn't bother me.
I don't expect too much realism from movies like this anyway.
I do like realism when it comes to kills in more serious movies.
In Rambo (2008) for example, they show the damage a heavy caliber machine gun can do to a human body. I like that. It's brutal but that's the way it is.
Downplaying violence also ruins the realism.

What bothers me more are stupid or illogical decisions in order to keep the story going. Especially when it's a movie that takes itself serious.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:43 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
Didn't notice so didn't bother me.
I don't expect too much realism from movies like this anyway.
I do like realism when it comes to kills in more serious movies.
In Rambo (2008) for example, they show the damage a heavy caliber machine gun can do to a human body. I like that. It's brutal but that's the way it is.
Downplaying violence also ruins the realism.

What bothers me more are stupid or illogical decisions in order to keep the story going. Especially when it's a movie that takes itself serious.
Hmm... why wouldn't you expect realistic violence/action from Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003? The original was realistic. There's no supernatural elements in this theme. Even the remake plays on the "true story" thing. I'm missing something.

Also, I'm disappointed you didn't even notice (not "disappointed in you"), because it likely means I'm in for more of the same. And focus groups/preview audiences are likely not noticing or caring either.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Hmm... why wouldn't you expect realistic violence/action from Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003? The original was realistic. There's no supernatural elements in this theme. Even the remake plays on the "true story" thing. I'm missing something.

Also, I'm disappointed you didn't even notice (not "disappointed in you"), because it likely means I'm in for more of the same. And focus groups/preview audiences are likely not noticing or caring either.
It's a modern day Hollywood remake made for the average movie fan, made for the money, not the art. Hence my low expectations.

It's possible I didn't notice because I couldn't care that much about the movie.

I always try to keep my expectations low.
If things suck, there's less or no disappointment. Are things good/great then I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:16 PM
The Original Copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
It's possible I didn't notice because I couldn't care that much about the movie.

I always try to keep my expectations low.
If things suck, there's less or no disappointment. Are things good/great then I'm pleasantly surprised.
Pretty much nailed my feelings on it with this statement.

It's a horror movie remake, nay, a horror movie remake that in absolutely NO WAY could capture the feeling of the original. As such, the only options it had to attempt to stand out were to update the visuals and add more gore. It managed to do this in a somewhat decent way, but all it really has going for it is an over-the-top R. Lee Ermey.

That being said, yes, cutting someone's leg off with a chainsaw in one swing while they're running full tilt is impossible and I did raise my eyebrows at that, lol. Would have been more effective if he'd just left a big nasty gash across his knee, then walked up and finished the job.