Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 11-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningriser View Post
Yes! I am an idiot haha. I actually owns the spirit yet and it is a decent story with some very well done death scenes and breathtaking cinematography for its time.. Since you haven't seen it I would highly recommend it. Every now and then it comes on IFC or a couple other uncensored channels. I think you might enjoy it!
I think I would too. From what I heard it sounds very interesting! Plus I love that episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy that parodies it.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:26 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I've never seen Suspiria but wasn't it about witches?
If you've never seen it, then you don't want to know if it's about witches.

Also too, (not necessarily talking about Suspiria) some films may have a witch or witchcraft in it, but the film isn't really about witches or witchcraft.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
If you've never seen it, then you don't want to know if it's about witches.

Also too, (not necessarily talking about Suspiria) some films may have a witch or witchcraft in it, but the film isn't really about witches or witchcraft.
That's true like Pumpkinhead for example. But I welcome any horror movie suggestions that feature witches. Even if it's not the main focus of the film.

The old witch from Pumpkinhead was great and spooky. Lived her southern accent.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:13 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

SPOILERS

You know another thing I loved about The Craft was when each girl cast a spell to get what she wanted they were all things that could be explained by something perfectly mundane happening but they still got exactly what they asked for.

Nancy wanted to quit living like trailer trash and be rid of her abusive stepfather so he died of a heart attack and had a pension plan through his job that left a good chunck of money to Nancy and her mother.

Bonnie wanted to be rid of her huge burn scars that she had since childhood which made her self concious and her mother was taking her to an experimental gene therapy procedure which actually ended up working for her.

Rochelle was being bullied by a racist white girl named Laura because she was the only black girl in the entire school and Laura was implied to bleach her hair blonde all the time which may have been what damaged her hair and caused it to fall out.

Sarah put a love spell on Chris basically just to get back at him for spreading nasty rumors about her but it backfired and he became dangerously obsessed with her. I actually believe he may have been suffering from untreated syphilis from the way he fooled around with girls and that he also gave it to Nancy which could explain why she went crazy towards the very end. Nancy said in one scene "He spreads disease, I speak from personal experience".

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 11-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:23 AM
Evil Dead

Suspiria is an awesome film!
Old 11-11-2018, 06:33 AM
Banned

There was this really shity movie that came out in either the last year or two of last century or the first year or two of this one, but there was a movie which seem to be ripping off the craft in a way and I believe it was called little witches about a group of Catholic school girls who find a spell book and start Conjuring upheaval. I remember one of the girls was a rather large girl and whenever they would conjure the spirits or whatever the hell they were supposed to be doing, they always got completely naked to get rid of anything modern but for some reason the large girl always kept her glasses on, I guess glasses aren't considered modern right?
Old 11-11-2018, 06:44 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
There was this really shity movie that came out in either the last year or two of last century or the first year or two of this one, but there was a movie which seem to be ripping off the craft in a way and I believe it was called little witches about a group of Catholic school girls who find a spell book and start Conjuring upheaval. I remember one of the girls was a rather large girl and whenever they would conjure the spirits or whatever the hell they were supposed to be doing, they always got completely naked to get rid of anything modern but for some reason the large girl always kept her glasses on, I guess glasses aren't considered modern right?
I remember seeing another rip-off of The Craft called "The Covenant" which focused on four male warlocks in college. I thought it was very stupid compared to The Craft.

What made The Craft a great movie in my opinion is that it actually made witchcraft look real. The way the spells worked it was like I could picture them working that way in real life if magic was real. None of that Hollywood shooting fireballs and flying on brooms while worshipping satan bs.

You need money? Do a little ritual and BAM! your long lost rich uncle passes away and leaves a good chunk of money in his will to you.

You're overweight and want to loose a few pounds? Do a little spell and next thing you know you're dropping weight fast because you don't feel the craving for food anymore like you used to.

Somebody has wronged you? Cast a little curse on them using a peice of their hair and next thing you know their car brakes give out and they crash into a tree (of course Wiccans believe their are real consequences to using magic for evil things like that just like in The Craft).

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 11-11-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:22 AM
Banned

yeah I mean the movie itself is pretty tame and terms of Gore and horror but yeah it's the detailing in the writing about the rituals and such that turns so many people onto it. In fact, that's why Fairuza Balk even took the role to begin with. As I said before, she is a wiccan but she fell in love with the script and the detailing in it. There are a lot of movies that have tried replicating the craft whether they be about witchcraft or just emulating the group themselves.

I would recommend checking out the season, coven, of American Horror Story. You wouldn't need to watch the previous two seasons to understand what's going on but if you ever decided to watch apocalypse, I would highly recommend watching coven first.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
yeah I mean the movie itself is pretty tame and terms of Gore and horror but yeah it's the detailing in the writing about the rituals and such that turns so many people onto it. In fact, that's why Fairuza Balk even took the role to begin with. As I said before, she is a wiccan but she fell in love with the script and the detailing in it. There are a lot of movies that have tried replicating the craft whether they be about witchcraft or just emulating the group themselves.

I would recommend checking out the season, coven, of American Horror Story. You wouldn't need to watch the previous two seasons to understand what's going on but if you ever decided to watch apocalypse, I would highly recommend watching coven first.

Yeah that is pretty interesting about the girl who played Nancy isn't it? I also heard that the people who made the movie hired an actual wiccan practioner to consult on how the movie should be. Of course because it is just a movie some creative licensing was still taken into effect and some of the things about the movie were unrealistic despite being pretty close to how Wicca works. Real wiccans can't fly in the air, turn into a different girl, or walk through mirrors.

Besides the four girls I also liked the lady with the accent (not sure where she was supposed to be from? Maybe Ireland or a latin country?) who ran the shop where the girls bought their books and ritual supplies. Unlike the four girls who were basically "dabblers" she was an experienced witch who took Wicca seriously as a religion and she basically served not just as a shopkeeper but as a kind of spiritual guide to the four girls.

I also feel like the movie Sleepy Hollow was heavily implying the concept of wicca when it came to the witchy characters in that movie. Women drawing powers from nature and some like Katrina being "nice" witches while others like Mary being "selfish" witches. I think wicca movies used to be very popular in the 1990's I mean they even made a Scooby Doo movie about it. Scooby Doo and The Witch's Ghost. Remember The Hex Girls?

I watched a couple of episodes of AHS Convenant before and I admit I was intrigued by it. It also focused on Voodoo which is another misunderstood religion that involves things like spells and rituals. I actually learned a little about Voodoo when I visited New Orleans a couple of years ago and I visited an authentic voodoo shop (not a fake one for tourists). I thought it was so cool.

Maybe I'll check that season out if it isn't as offensive as Asylum or Freakshow.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 11-11-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:09 AM
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fairuza_balk.jpg.cf.jpg (23.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg b11e67cc73f33eb04d2c8703d2033533.jpg.cf.jpg (13.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: gif 880.gif.cf.gif (42.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Fairuza-Balk-fairuza-balk-1506098-300-500.jpg.cf.jpg (16.2 KB, 0 views)