Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I second that recommendation, great film.
And to also throw in my opinion, I think its a very good film (I personally thought it dragged just a bit at times, but its very creepy and atmospheric). You have to watch it ChronoGrl, you might not like it of course, but its one that is kind of a must see in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Evil Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
when i saw it it felt like it was influenced heavily by Italian supernatural films to me ... right down the reveal/explaination
You mean Evil Dead Trap or Saw?

Last seen Movie: Men Behind The Sun: Messed up movie. The gore is definitely cranked up in this bad-boy. Just the fact that this is based on true events made me queasy even more than normally. I can stand the normal mutilation in horror movies, but anything to do with experiments and surgeries...blech! Regardless, I was entertained and I got a history lesson at the same time of getting grossed out. 6.5/10
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painfulldeath View Post
You mean Evil Dead Trap or Saw?
I'm going to guess and think he meant Evil Dead Trap, but only because I felt the same way. EDT may be the closest thing I've seen to an Asian Giallo (with a few runners ups).
Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Hey Chrono- don't let one bad rec stop you from seeing Kairo- I loved it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I second that recommendation, great film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna26 View Post
And to also throw in my opinion, I think its a very good film (I personally thought it dragged just a bit at times, but its very creepy and atmospheric). You have to watch it ChronoGrl, you might not like it of course, but its one that is kind of a must see in my opinion.
Thanks, Guys.

It's in the Netflix queue. Guess I'll just have to bump it up. :D

I was honestly impressed with the remake - Have you guys seen it?

Yesterday I watched Ekusute (Exte: Hair Extensions)

It's hard to give an impartial review because a) I was fighting the first wave of this death flu, b) I had to get up ever 45 minutes to change laundry, and c) I had to turn it off during the climax because I had a party to run to.

I REALLY shouldn't put in movies when I simply don't have the time to enjoy them.

But anyway.

It wasn't bad. It had some pretty stunningly gruesome visuals and I can definitely appreciate the esoteric and self conscious nod toward the growing archetype of the Onryō as well as the obvious dig to feminine vanity and the obsession with hair. It also rated well on the disgusting gross-out scale with, oftentimes, well, hair sprouting from literally every where.

Honestly, though, my favorite scenes in the movie weren't even necessarily the Kill scenes or the plot scenes; our Big Bad is this absurd caricature who is obsessed with hair, wears an American flag t-shirt and has long dancing and singing scenes in a room literally filled with hair; it was well-crafted absurdity that honestly separated the film from just another Onryō film.

Also, we have the glorious Chiaki Kuriyama (Gogo from Kill Bill), though she plays the cliched giggling JA girl. That being said, I honestly sympathized with her and was interested in her own personal story (at the beginning of the film, her garish sister dumps her niece on her), which turns into a pretty touching mother/daughter theme.

Overall, there are good things (our absurd Big Bad, our touching mother/daughter theme), but I'm not sure whether or not they actually fit well together. The Kills are a bit disappointing (I was expecting more gore I guess) and there wasn't really a whole lot of suspense. It just seemed... Absolutely disjointed.

What's weird is... I'd watch it again. So, it couldn't have been that bad.

It's the kind of movie where, I'd recommend it, but don't expect anything particularly novel. And I wouldn't suggest necessarily paying for it.

2.5/5

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 11-10-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Pirate of Bengal

The Eye 3 (2005)

>>: C+
Old 11-13-2008, 03:05 AM
I see dead people

VISITOR Q - TAKASHl MllKE

My tag lines.. "Got Milk", "Corpses Have Orgasms too!"
Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Evil Alive

Untold Story: I liked this one. It really resembled the Ebola Syndrome except I found it even more demented. The acting was ok but I don't understand why they had to have goof cops provide comedic relief. It kind of took away some of the film's morbid impact. Still, the final 20 minutes are crazy and not like anything I've ever seen. 6.75/10.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 PM
HDC Idol

Kung fu Hustle

This is the second time that I've seen this film, but I somehow managed to let time lapse just enough between viewings to forget the intricacies that make this film absolutely great.

Needless to say, I remember enjoying this film the first time, but it was even better the second time.

Brilliant writing and direction, hysterical comic timing (purposefully cartoony at times), and some amazingly choreographed kung fu. Delightfully over-the-top hero kung fu movie. If there are movie enthusiasts out there who still haven't seen this movie, go out and see it.

A/A+

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
The Eye 3 (2005)

>>: C+
Actually, that was called The Eye 10, was renamed 'The Eye 3' in the US, and wasn't really related to The Eye 1 and 2 (at least not the same storyline)

The Eye 3 (which IS related to 1 & 2) was supposed to come out this year...I hope they haven't given up on it...Maybe they'll just call it 'The Eye 4' in the US
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0896815/

Reminds me of how Shocker was named 'House 3' (but had nothing to do with House 1 & 2), so House 3 became House 4...and how Halloween 3 wasn't related to the other sequels at all...

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be

Last edited by bloodrayne; 11-16-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

the guard post