Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Evil Dead

No apologies necessary.
I don't get that often.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Magzilla

Send a message via MSN to IndustrialKitty
:P I have the version with karloff and price....

*sighs*

Ahh many a summer of my child hood was spent locked up in my room watching that movie.

As cheesy as it may be i still love it.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Undead

The Lugosi/Karloff projects were always a treat. Nothing comes close to The Black Cat though. That is a profoundly disturbing little movie. I know what you mean about Lugosi's acting -- it's always surprising to see he could do something besides stand around looking sinister. Sad the way his career arc just plummeted.

Anybody who doesn't know the film, should check out The Body Snatchers sometime (not "Invasion of"). I've always thought Boris and Bela both gave the performances of their lives there, both playing roles they thoroughly understood: Karloff simmering with underclass rage and Lugosi drowning in sad desperation.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
The Countess

Send a message via Yahoo to Marya Zaleska
I have both of these films and they are excellent!

I find The Black Cat very creepy and in this one Bela is the "good guy".

The Raven was also great with Bela as the main attraction and Karloff his subject!

Two great movies and they are available on DVD!

The Countess
Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 AM
~¤Nevermore¤~

Bela's best performance of his career was in The Raven. I thought Karloff was awesome as well. A masterpiece of a movie, I think The Raven was THE best horror movie ever made.

It had everything - solid characterisations, great direction and script and some very nice artwork and photography ever seen in a horror movie. Lugosi had the more impressive character but Karloff was brilliant in his character too.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM
RobocopsSadSide

Thumbs up

***Spoilers***

Lugosi is the reason this is so effective. In one of his finest roles as the mad Doctor Richard Vollin, the icon steals every moment of the show. Black Hearted, obsessed, demanding; Bela opens the flood gates and out comes a very memorable character that fully succeeds with a sickness. A key scene where he really displays the skills with Vollin is when Judge Thatcher tells him he musn't see his daughter ever again, and the mad Doc's eyes wince sharply together while he starts demanding to the Judge to bring him Joan.

Unfortunately, Karloff shows up twenty minutes into the story, which is a considerably long wait when the film just an hour. As the murderous Bateman, he's not given a whole lot of character, other than he's violent, angry and probably just as mad as Vollin. After his operation, he's turned into a wretched, two-faced freak. More uglier than ever before. This brings on one of the most involving moments for the two horror legends. After seeing his appearance through several mirrors, he jolts into a spastic rage, and all the mirrors are shattered from his gun a-blazin'. Boris still does a fine job with the more or less supporting role, but a little more would've been nice.

The movie spends so much time focusing on Bela and letting him work the magic, that everybody else is pretty lacking during many scenes. Even Irene Ware as Joan is pretty transparent, and so much more is expected from the character of the woman Vollin is obsessed with. Other than having the rage for Poe (though, not nearly on the level of the Doctor), her ability to dance and her hidden devotion towards the Doc, not much else is given about her. The segments with her and Dr. Jerry Holdon (Lester Matthews), her fiance, are wasted by no real display of affection. The dialogue seems false and forced, aside from a scant few genuine moments of Matthews making it believable. Samuel S Hinds as Joans' Father gives the secondary role all it needs. He's protective, doesn't trust Vollin for a second and never backs down from him. In character, Hinds shows more concern for his daughter's safety than her own husband. Disappointing.

The settings and environments are brilliant, especially Vollin's mansion of trap doors, secret rooms behind bookcases, rooms where the walls come together and some that descend into a lair where Doc keeps all kinds of demented torture devices; most importantly the massive swaying blade that slowly lowers itself down into a hapless victim from The Pit and the Pendulum. Several good scenes of eye candy here.

Not really as effective as The Black Cat, imo. Karloff and Lugosi didn't have the chemistry, Lugosi was his own chemistry. The Raven sometimes just seems like it's living in the shadow of the Black Cat. Both movies are merely just respects to the Poe stories, and stray from following in their footsteps; though, The Raven definitely gives more nods. Not perfect, but it's still a very entertaining Uni/Bela/Boris outing.