Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi View Post
I'm a little apprehensive of the whole love triangle story P.J. has added.
I read a couple of reviews where people weren't happy with this but it isn't a major part of the plot of the film. I personally thought it was cool as fleshed the characters out a bit more.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Misanthrope

Blood for Irina

A surreal and dreamlike non traditional vampire film. I dug how she never sprouted fangs and you're left wondering whether being a vampire was all in her mind or perhaps an infection (as the vomiting suggested). I thought there was a definite nod to Martin in this regard. I've watched some painful shoestring budget flicks in my time but this definitely isn't one of them. After reading some of the scathing reviews I thought this would be an endurance test but instead I got one of the better independent horror films I've seen in awhile. Blood For Irina won't be for everyone. It's not a modern classic by any means but is a well crafted interesting film that I'm sure will find an appreciative audience.

The score really stood out (with the exception of the corny classical piece used in the title sequence) with it's great unnerving abrasive sounding parts for the tense moments. A decent score is a rarity in independent horror so this was a nice touch. The minimal dialogue really worked for me too. It kept the surreal vibe of the film going and didn't let the film fall into the trap of novice actors delivering clunky dialogue. Running just shy of 70 minutes Blood For Irina doesn't out stay it's welcome either. It's concise unlike a lot of lower budget flicks where the directors are to precious about their work to ditch unnecessary scenes that make their films drag. Nice cinematography too. I liked the unconventional shots like the sink scene and the figurative meaning in some of the establishing shots (like the shot of the exit sign).

Blood For Irina will alienate a lot of horror fans by perhaps being too "weird", slow burning and not having enough splatter or jump scares. There's some rough edges but this film shows the director has a lot of potential and is thinking outside of the square both stylistically and thematically. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of Chris Alexander's work. This was an ambitious film that knew it's limitations and worked well within them to deliver a solid directorial debut.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 AM
No, fuck YOU

"12 Years a Slave" 8/10

Definitely not a feel good movie, although i couldn't stop laughing all the way through.

No, just kidding. This really wasn't a fun watch. But it was a good watch. I need to see the directors former 2 movies now.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Blood for Irina

A surreal and dreamlike non traditional vampire film. I dug how she never sprouted fangs and you're left wondering whether being a vampire was all in her mind or perhaps an infection (as the vomiting suggested). I thought there was a definite nod to Martin in this regard. I've watched some painful shoestring budget flicks in my time but this definitely isn't one of them. After reading some of the scathing reviews I thought this would be an endurance test but instead I got one of the better independent horror films I've seen in awhile. Blood For Irina won't be for everyone. It's not a modern classic by any means but is a well crafted interesting film that I'm sure will find an appreciative audience.

The score really stood out (with the exception of the corny classical piece used in the title sequence) with it's great unnerving abrasive sounding parts for the tense moments. A decent score is a rarity in independent horror so this was a nice touch. The minimal dialogue really worked for me too. It kept the surreal vibe of the film going and didn't let the film fall into the trap of novice actors delivering clunky dialogue. Running just shy of 70 minutes Blood For Irina doesn't out stay it's welcome either. It's concise unlike a lot of lower budget flicks where the directors are to precious about their work to ditch unnecessary scenes that make their films drag. Nice cinematography too. I liked the unconventional shots like the sink scene and the figurative meaning in some of the establishing shots (like the shot of the exit sign).

Blood For Irina will alienate a lot of horror fans by perhaps being too "weird", slow burning and not having enough splatter or jump scares. There's some rough edges but this film shows the director has a lot of potential and is thinking outside of the square both stylistically and thematically. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of Chris Alexander's work. This was an ambitious film that knew it's limitations and worked well within them to deliver a solid directorial debut.
wow - nice review!
I knew you'd get it …

Did you listen to the commentary yet ?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:29 AM
Banned

You're Next

with all the hype I thought it would be better....not a bad watch but over blown expectations.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:07 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
You're Next

with all the hype I thought it would be better....not a bad watch but over blown expectations.
is it out on DVD? i'm dying to see it
Old 01-03-2014, 06:09 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
wow - nice review!
I knew you'd get it …

Did you listen to the commentary yet ?
Thanks. No I didn't get a chance to before I returned the disc. Will buy my own copy and check it out then.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Thanks. No I didn't get a chance to before I returned the disc. Will buy my own copy and check it out then.
I thought you must have from some of the things you said ...
you really hit the nail on the head
Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
is it out on DVD? i'm dying to see it
I'm assuming it is...watched on DEMAND
Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
I thought you must have from some of the things you said ...
you really hit the nail on the head
I very rarely bother listening to them

Trailers are pretty much all I find interesting about most extras. I find commentaries lift the veil a bit to much for me.

Tags
movie