Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies

Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 PM
For Vendetta

William Castle's top 5 movie gimmicks

Interesting read.

http://www.fearnet.com/news/list/wil...movie-gimmicks
Old 01-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Sometimes dead is better

I agree this was a very interesting read. Although, I have done a great deal of reading and research on the subject and therefore was aware of much of the information presented in the article. But, interesting nonetheless.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Cranky

It's nice to see Castle remembered, but the article is sloppily written. The Tingler wasn't an alien. And we don't remember Castle because of these gimmicks he used, we remember him because the films themselves were entertaining. Long after these gimmicks are mere memories, we're still watching the films.

I should be pitching articles to Fearnet if this is what they're accepting.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Sometimes dead is better

While it is true that we still watch Castle films today because they were really good. William Castle was best known for his gimmicks. In fact, that is why the studio refused to allow him to direct Rosemary's Baby (despite him finding and buying the script with his own money).
Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I have to agree there is much more to Castle than the gimmicks he used to promote his film.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Again, I agree. I especially liked the original House on Haunted Hill. But, he was really famous for the gimmicks he used to promote his films.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Midnight toker

I watched a bunch of Castles films before I really knew who he was or fully realised about the gimmicks he employed. The gimmicks are part of the package I guess, but take away the gimmicks and you still have a quality catalogue of work.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM
For Vendetta

A lot of the audience today who has watched and appreciated Castle's films sees quality stuff in his work. I bet many of them still don't know the innovative ways he used in marketing his films in the 50s and 60s. Labeling him as just a "gimmick maker" is unfair to the man - he's given us a body of films which are solidly original and a great inspiration for makers over the years.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Sometimes dead is better

I agree that William Castle's movies were brilliant, but one of the reasons he goes down in horror movie history was due his campaigns. He had a great deal of influence on many horror movies in the future due to this. I agree it is not fair to reduce him to that. But, it should be noted that I have never read a book or watched a documentary (that talked about William Castle) that did not have a great deal of discussion on his gimmicks (I have read and seen a lot of things on horror). Sadly, I would have to agree it was the are he influenced the genre the most, although in recnt years he has become popular for his films only (I myself discoverred him with no knowledge of these gimmicks). Besides the article was merely recounting the five best William Castle gimmicks, I don't think it reduced him.

Last edited by metternich1815; 01-13-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Interesting article! I suggest reading Castle's autobiography "Step Right Up! I'm Gonna Scare the Pants Off America"...it's a marvelous book; I only wish it was twice as long and told more stories about the making of his horror classics. But as an overview of his entire career, it's a treasure trove, and priceless.

Friend....gooooood!