Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
My favorite horror movie remake is John Carpenter's The Thing (1982).
I don't consider this a remake at all. I consider it another adaptation of the novella Who Goes There?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
My favorite remake:
bahaha - I <3 you.

Evil Dead 2013 was utterly fantastic (though I think it takes enough liberties that I think that it's probably more influenced by the original movies as opposed to being a straight remake).

My absolute positive favorite remake ever: My Bloody Valentine 3D. This movie was an incredibly fun theater experience; would love to see it in the theater again.

Piranha 3D was fun, but not as much of a blast as My Bloody Valentine.

I also thought The Grudge was really good (for quite some time I maintained that it was better than the original - Not sure how I feel about that now; I've seen it so many times that it's become a bit cheesy in my mind).

I really liked Cronenberg's The Fly and the 1999 House on Haunted Hill is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

Dawn of the Dead 2004 was also a mostly solid little horror movie.

The Halloween remakes were absolutely abysmal and about as necessary as a bicycle to a fish.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Scares Little Kids

My favorite is "Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The" version of 2003 years but i watched movie long ago when i was teenager and it was in 2004 years and it was all scary for me once and i liked story but version in 3D was hopeless.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Evil Dead

Dawn of the Dead is probably my fave, but it can be argued that it isnt a remake.

The others:

The Thing
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The FLy
The Blob
13 ghosts
House on Haunted Hill
King Kong '05
Wolfman '10
Old 05-22-2013, 04:41 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadliquor View Post
Dawn of the Dead is probably my fave, but it can be argued that it isnt a remake.

The others:

The Thing
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The FLy
The Blob
13 ghosts
House on Haunted Hill
King Kong '05
Wolfman '10
I'm curious as to why you think it can be argued as not a remake.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Evil Dead

My guess is that for the purpose of this thread, remake/reboot/re-imagining all are candidates for the conversation. But I agree there is a somewhat subjective distinction: How different is the "remake" from the original? If it's significantly different, maybe it's more of a re-imagining, or reboot (although that term seems to be used for franchises).

I thought Dawn of the Dead was pretty different than the original, if for no other reason because the zombies are fast, so it has an action element that the original didn't have.

I agree with ChronoGrl that Evil Dead was not a straight remake, and also fantastic. :)

Also, she's making me want to see My Bloody Valentine 3D. I liked the original, but assumed the remake was just another cash grab.

I actually kinda liked the Rob Zombie Halloweens, but they have almost no relationship to the original.

I've never seen the original for some of these remakes: The Thing, The Fly, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I really liked all three of those (meaning Carpenter, Cronenberg and 1978 body snatchers). Funny that two of those three have been remade again since, and I hear the Fly is in the works.

If I were to pick one remake that I can actually compare to the original, and that I thought really good, I'd pick The Ring. The original had better pacing, but I thought the remake was creepier -- especially the video.

I also liked King Kong 2005 because it brought back some of the prehistoric action from the 1933 version that the 1976 version left out.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
I'm curious as to why you think it can be argued as not a remake.
Giganticface pretty much answered the question. Besides the shopping mall, and to a lesser degree the the movies arent similar at all. I think they just wanted the credibility of the name to go with the movie.
Also, I've answered the fav remake question on a few forums over the years, and people have always given me crap about saying Dawn of the Dead is my favorite "remake", even though the rest of the movies on my list arent that similar to the originals either. Probably because the remake is better than the original and the original is so beloved
Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Giganticface pretty much answered the question. Besides the shopping mall, and to a lesser degree the the movies arent similar at all. I think they just wanted the credibility of the name to go with the movie.
Also, I've answered the fav remake question on a few forums over the years, and people have always given me crap about saying Dawn of the Dead is my favorite "remake", even though the rest of the movies on my list arent that similar to the originals either. Probably because the remake is better than the original and the original is so beloved
So a movies only a remake if its the same as the original? One point of making remakes is to go in a different direction with it like Dawn of The Dead and even the new Evil Dead did. Its also to modernize it and introduce it to new audiences. Some may argue that there's really no point in doing that but it doesn't change the fact that they are in fact remakes. In fact the only good remakes are the ones that change it because what's the point in making a shot for shot remake? We have the original for that.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
So a movies only a remake if its the same as the original? .
No. I said that so I wouldn't get people who are too literal for their own good, whining that it was on my list. And now... complaining that that i made an exception.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:22 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
No. I said that so I wouldn't get people who are too literal for their own good, whining that it was on my list. And now... complaining that that i made an exception.
Nobody's complaining. This is a forum where people of different opinions can come and discuss different viewpoints on things. If you can't take people saying things you don't like, you shouldn't be here.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nobody's complaining. This is a forum where people of different opinions can come and discuss different viewpoints on things. If you can't take people saying things you don't like, you shouldn't be here.
Gee! Thanks for the advice. I didnt know that message boards were places for people to post their opinions. and differing viewpoints. I'll have to keep that in mind :rolleyes: