Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Drone

Rating Practices

We all have criteria for rating films. But unrelated elements like mood, age, relationship status, crowds, & hype can really impact our final vote.

My biggest one is how much I spent to see a film. I'm kindest checking it out from the library and harshest driving to another city to view in IMAX.

I'm wondering if this is common & if so, what's your biggest "nothing-to-do-with-the-actual-film" factor that impacts your final rating.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Evil Puppy

That's an interesting criteria. I guess I'm more apt to rate a movie higher if I didn't know anything about it and saw on a whim than if I was really excited for it and it didn't live up to my hype. I know, disappointment is a direct result of unrealistic expectations but it happens.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
That's an interesting criteria.
Isn't it? I discovered quite accidentally I'm like that - terribly fascinating.

Now, if I think I won't like a flick I wait for the library to get it. I've been checking out movies I haven't liked. About 40% are keeping their initial "It sucks!" rating. The rest got upgrades from "Eh, whatever." to "It wasn't that bad."

Haven't had any true 180º turn arounds... yet.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by totem View Post
My biggest one is how much I spent to see a film. I'm kindest checking it out from the library and harshest driving to another city to view in IMAX.
In a way I'm like that too - and in a way I'm not. I do expect more from a movie that I paid a lot of money to see. But, I also think it makes me try harder to like it. I've noticed that when I watch movies for free or movies that I've bought very cheap, I am more likely to give them a low score, or even give up on them halfway through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totem View Post
I'm wondering if this is common & if so, what's your biggest "nothing-to-do-with-the-actual-film" factor that impacts your final rating.
I think sometimes, certain actors can affect my opinion of a movie, both in a positive and a negative direction. If there's a 10 second glimpse of Robert Englund, I can almost forgive the rest of the movie for being awful

My opinion is also very affected by a movies score, which IS of course a part of the full picture, but maybe doesn't really have that much to do with the movie itself.