Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: what makes a movie a classic
It's just born a classic film. 5 22.73%
Like a car, 20 years old or older. 4 18.18%
1970 or before. 9 40.91%
1960 or before 4 18.18%
1950 or before 0 0%
not one of those darn new fangled talky moving pictures! how about the box the nicklodeon 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2005, 04:48 AM
I Am Male.

Yes but this is the classic horror forum, so 1969 down is what its meant by here.

Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
Second Fav Band: Pink Floyd
Favorite Non Horror Movie: Papillon
5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:00 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Quote:
Originally posted by slasherman
"Ringu" have stand the test of time....:)
It was made in 1998. :rolleyes:

Because you are trying to say Ringu is a classic and Gone with the Wind is not, it leads me to believe that your definition of classic is 'any movie you really like.'

Unfortunately the world does not revolve around you, and neither does the term 'classic'. Classic is a general umbrella in every genre of movie to define films that have made a profound impact on the genre and endured the test of time.

Gone with the Wind is most definately a classic, whether you like the movie or not. Ringu is not a classic yet (No matter how much you like it.), but it could become one someday.

The use of the term classic on this forum is not wrong, it's your use of the term classic that is inaccurate.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bwind22

Because you are trying to say Ringu is a classic and Gone with the Wind is not, it leads me to believe that your definition of classic is 'any movie you really like.'

Unfortunately the world does not revolve around you, and neither does the term 'classic'. Classic is a general umbrella in every genre of movie to define films that have made a profound impact on the genre and endured the test of time.

Gone with the Wind is most definately a classic, whether you like the movie or not. Ringu is not a classic yet (No matter how much you like it.), but it could become one someday.

The use of the term classic on this forum is not wrong, it's your use of the term classic that is inaccurate.
i didnt go back far enough to know what the Gone with the Wind reference was referring to (of course its a classic)

but i agree that Ringu - if not now - eventually will be determined as a classic eventually as the movie that introduced the increasingly Japanese horror movement in north america, not only spawning american versions but opening the doors to north america for the origionals as well...
I htink this is the beginning of a new wave of horror films ...
It succeded where the italians did not (for the masses, not us informed folk).
I can see this potentially spurring north america into looking at other countries for inspiration as well. (god knows they have no ideas of their own)

thats my prediction anyway ..
Old 03-31-2005, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
i didnt go back far enough to know what the Gone with the Wind reference was referring to (of course its a classic)

but i agree that Ringu - if not now - eventually will be determined as a classic eventually as the movie that introduced the increasingly Japanese horror movement in north america, not only spawning american versions but opening the doors to north america for the origionals as well...
I htink this is the beginning of a new wave of horror films ...
It succeded where the italians did not (for the masses, not us informed folk).
I can see this potentially spurring north america into looking at other countries for inspiration as well. (god knows they have no ideas of their own)

thats my prediction anyway ..
That is great arguement for why Ringu will someday be thought of as a classic!
Old 03-31-2005, 06:34 AM
EVERY DAY IS A HAPPY DAY

Send a message via Skype™ to crazy raplh
Quote:
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
what about the Faculty? I don't think anybody has considered that a classic no matter how popular it might've been at the time.

that is my point.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:54 AM

Quote:

First: "Ringu" isnt 'any movie I really like
Second: why is "Gone with the wind" a classic....?...because it was a big hit....and because it was expensive and had big stars...? To me thats not enough....It probably got many oscars too...
To me its a sleazy overdone lovestory...its a typical hollywood turkey...It remindes me of "Titanic" which is allready considered a classic...... by some film critics.....
Old 03-31-2005, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Second: why is "Gone with the wind" a classic....?...because it was a big hit....and because it was expensive and had big stars...? To me thats not enough....It probably got many oscars too...
To me its a sleazy overdone lovestory...its a typical hollywood turkey...It remindes me of "Titanic" which is allready considered a classic...... by some film critics.....

titanic will never have the staying power of Gone with the Wind.

That movie is still being quoted daily .. (not just the misquoted 'frankly scarlett' line .. but a ton of others)

it was a landmark film, and although some of it seems corny and dated, there is still a lot of sofistication in other parts.

Please dont compare it to that fly-by-night titanic movie ..

(by the way - i'm not even crazy about Gone With The Wind - but i respect its very important place in the history of cinema)
Old 03-31-2005, 07:22 AM

Quote:
? ? ? Okay, what is it then?

Quote:
Are you seriously trying to sit here and argue that Ringu is more of a classic than Gone with the Wind? Once again, you are basing your definition of 'classic' off your own personal taste in movies. You said 'me' 3 times in that paragraph and we are talking about an objective phrase... It doesn't matter what the movie is to you, it matters how it is perceived by the general public and film industry alike. Gone with the Wind already is a classic. The fact that you think differently isn't going to change that, it just makes you wrong.

Saying that Gone with the Wind reminds you of Titanic is simply too ridiculous to comment on. How old are you anyways? (Obviously you saw Titanic before you saw Gone with the Wind or you would have never made that reference, and that's why I ask.)
Old 03-31-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
titanic will never have the staying power of Gone with the Wind.

That movie is still being quoted daily .. (not just the misquoted 'frankly scarlett' line .. but a ton of others)

it was a landmark film, and although some of it seems corny and dated, there is still a lot of sofistication in other parts.

Please dont compare it to that fly-by-night titanic movie ..

(by the way - i'm not even crazy about Gone With The Wind - but i respect its very important place in the history of cinema)
Well said. You summed up what I was saying in about half as many words.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:37 AM

Quote:
? ? ? Okay, what is it then?

Are you seriously trying to sit here and argue that Ringu is more of a classic than Gone with the Wind? Once again, you are basing your definition of 'classic' off your own personal taste in movies. You said 'me' 3 times in that paragraph and we are talking about an objective phrase... It doesn't matter what the movie is to you, it matters how it is perceived by the general public and film industry alike. Gone with the Wind already is a classic. The fact that you think differently isn't going to change that, it just makes you wrong.

Saying that Gone with the Wind reminds you of Titanic is simply too ridiculous to comment on. How old are you anyways? (Obviously you saw Titanic before you saw Gone with the Wind or you would have never made that reference, and that's why I ask.)
Saying "Ringu" is a classic isnt just my personal meaning....you pretty much agree its going to become a classic in some years....To me it allready are....
Like I have tried to point out the term classic dont say anything about the age of the movie.....the term pretty much means well known...but when you are talking about a classic movie..what you need to think about is this:
audience (well known), impact and style

"Ringu" was made in 1998...making it seven years old....thats not important...what matter is: well known, impact and style

...and whats wrong using 'ME' ? I'm sure you know that it is individuales who change things...There isnt anything called an objective phrase....you could try to talk objective but its just an ilusión....:cool: (its still you)
The general public is you and ME...and a lot of others...
...and no I saw "Gone with the wind" long before "Titanic"

Last edited by slasherman; 04-01-2005 at 02:09 AM.