Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
What did you think of "Safe Haven"? I thought that that piece made the entire anthology.
You know I imagine most people though it was the best story of the 2 films but something about it really erked me. It kinda ruined it for me when they just forgot about the SOV gimmick and switched to first person view with people who hadn't cameras. They did it in End of Watch too and it totally took me out of the film then too. Its a minor point but since the whole gimmick of these films is that they are found footage viewed in the framing story. Another similar grip is who edited these multiple camera videos together so they can be viewed for our pleasure :-)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Evil Dead

^ Yes quite so... a lot of the "found footage", especially in 2, seemed very contrived. It spoilt the suspension of disbelief for me.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Author / Publisher

Modern Horror

I'm a big fan of ghost stories and haunted house stories. I really liked the "In a Dark Place" (2006) because as a remake it went in a different direction of one of my favorite movies of the Horror genre, "The Innocents." (1961) Which has to be my favorite ghost-story adaptions of all time. Both are based on Henry James's "The Turning of the Screw" which I re-read every couple of years because of it's delightful ambiguity. I'm still not sure if the ghosts were real or if the governess was mad. The Innocents lends itself to the first interpretation and In A Dark Place to the second. Both are chilling.

For me to really love a horror movie or psychological thriller, the ending has to hit me with the notion of an on-going horror or it has to be final--ie, the hero gets away but is horribly scarred by the experience or the hero dies/becomes the monster. Some of the modern horror/psychological thriller movies I feel delivered that ending I was lusting for were: The Descent, Jeepers Creepers, Session 9, Shutter Island, Rec, Paranormal Acitivity, Wolf Creek, Sinister, The Uninvited, Insidious, the Burrowers, The Ring, the Grudge, In a Dark Place, The Darkness, and the Woman in Black.

Last edited by DFB; 10-02-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to list a few worthy films :)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Evil Puppy

Martyrs, Desperation, and John Dies at the End... this Halloween season has been filled with a ton of movies already, I love it.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB View Post
I'm a big fan of ghost stories and haunted house stories. I really liked the "In a Dark Place" (2006) because as a remake it went in a different direction of one of my favorite movies of the Horror genre, "The Innocents." (1961) Which has to be my favorite ghost-story adaptions of all time. Both are based on Henry James's "The Turning of the Screw" which I re-read every couple of years because of it's delightful ambiguity. I'm still not sure if the ghosts were real or if the governess was mad. The Innocents lends itself to the first interpretation and In A Dark Place to the second. Both are chilling.

Ever seen "The nightcomers"?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069007/...nm_flmg_act_20

Not very scary, but as a Turn of the Screw prequel it's an interesting watch.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 PM
For Vendetta

Decent, low budget rage-zombie-outbreak effort.

Don't bother. Watch the original instead.

* ½
Old 10-04-2013, 03:27 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Dark Circles" 6-7/10

Not sure i completely understood what was going on in this movie, but it was decent with a few good scares.

"World War Z" 8/10

One of the best and most entertaining zombie movies i've seen.

"Pain & Gain" 7/10

Not particularly hilarious, but pretty entertaining "true story".
Old 10-04-2013, 04:19 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Fright Night 2 (2013)

I don't know why they called this movie Fright Night 2. The characters are there: Amy, Charlie, Evil Ed, Peter Vincent & Gerry (Instead of Jerry) Dandridge. But none of the events of the previous movies have apparently ever taken place. When I saw this movie even existed out there I thought, maybe they were doing the sister story line from the original Fright Night Part 2, but no. This movie is a completely stand alone film, but with the same characters, in name at least as the rest of the franchise.

If you can get past all that. It was a pretty decent (though cheesy) vampire film. The story was interesting, pulling from the legend of Elizabeth Bathory. Some of the dialogue was pretty bad but overall I actually enjoyed it. It doesn't come anywhere near the others in the franchise but as a stand alone straight-to-video kind of vampire movie, it's wasn't that bad. A few spots didn't make sense but overall I'd give it a B+.

Last edited by realdealblues; 10-04-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
Fright Night 2 (2013)

I don't know why they called this movie Fright Night 2. The characters are there: Amy, Charlie, Evil Ed, Peter Vincent & Gerry (Instead of Jerry) Dandridge. But none of the events of the previous movies have apparently ever taken place. When I saw this movie even existed out there I thought, maybe they were doing the sister story line from the original Fright Night Part 2, but no. This movie is a completely stand alone film, but with the same characters, in name at least as the rest of the franchise.

If you can get past all that. It was a pretty decent (though cheesy) vampire film. The story was interesting, pulling from the legend of Elizabeth Bathory. Some of the dialogue was pretty bad but overall I actually enjoyed it. It doesn't come anywhere near the others in the franchise but as a stand alone straight-to-video kind of vampire movie, it's wasn't that bad. A few spots didn't make sense but overall I'd give it a B+.

Only got through half of it.

The first part of your review bothered me as well. But what bothered me the most
was the main character looked like a complete douce.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Only got through half of it.

The first part of your review bothered me as well. But what bothered me the most
was the main character looked like a complete douce.
I don't disagree about the kid playing Charlie, but considering it's straight to video I thought it was pretty good. Then again, I enjoy SyFy Channel movies so your mileage my vary. But it was better than a lot of the garbage I've seen being put out recently. It also had some good looking women and some titty which (and I know Newb would agree with me on this) never hurts...lol.

Tags
movie