Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-25-2016, 01:29 AM
Pirate of Bengal

ARQ (2016)

>>: B+

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

This is the story of Ricky Baker - a young, overweight, orphaned juvenile offender that idealizes hip hop and creates haiku poetry as a method of externalizing emotional conflict, due to the influence of counseling and therapy sessions. Stuck in New Zealand's sub-par youth welfare system, Ricky ends up on a rotting farm somewhere in the rural back blocks with his new foster parents. The real fun begins when a national manhunt is ordered for this rebellious kid and his foster uncle who go "missing" in the wild New Zealand bush.

An absolute gem of a kid/family-adventure flick from the director of WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (2014)! Not only the chemistry between that cute-fat kid and Sam Neill works so wonderfully & a blast to watch in almost every scene but the film also delivers quite a beautifully moving story with great dose of humor from start to finish.

Recommended.

>>: A

Last edited by roshiq; 09-25-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:58 AM
Evil Dead

X-Men Apocalypse (3D) (2016)
I.M.D.B.
After the re-emergence of the world's first mutant, world-destroyer Apocalypse, the X-Men must unite to defeat his extinction level plan.

Other than a couple of stand out moments (Quicksilver), this movie was fairly mediocre. Apocalypse was unimpressive and his motivations unclear. Plot-holes abound. If any characters arcs exist, they are nonsensical. And the dialogue was pretty lazy. Turn your mind off, eat popcorn, enjoy the flashing lights and pretty colours.
6.5/10
Old 09-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Evil Dead

31 (2016)

"Five carnival workers are kidnapped and held hostage in an abandoned, Hell-like compound where they are forced to participate in a violent game, the goal of which is to survive twelve hours against a gang of sadistic clowns."

I didn't think I'd like this, but it was surprisingly decent. The first act was poorly directed, written and edited, but it got better later. It was obvious that quite a bit had to be cut out to get an R rating, so maybe the uncut version would fix some of the pacing issues in the first 30 minutes. It's certainly not good entertainment, but it's gritty and brutal enough to be fun.

6/10
Old 09-25-2016, 06:41 AM
Evil Dead

Pandemic
Old 09-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Immortal horror fan

The Inheritance -

I did the usual look through the horror selections and found this movie. They didn't have a trailer but instead a quick clip of a scene in a car that I thought was hilarious. Also I saw Keith David in the cast list. I think the last movie I reviewed with him was that Internet email movie, I think it was called Chain Mail. It wasn't the best nor the worst, yet he always gives good performances. After The Thing and They Live you can't really doubt his judgement with horror. Also, an actress was listed in the credits that was kind of familiar. Looking it up, I saw that she was in Trick r Treat. The Inheritance was short so I watched.

The Inheritance is something I've never seen or can't remember seeing before. It's a Black horror movie. The movie actually has a token White couple in it. And of course being a horror movie you can guess what happens to them. But I think the movie was sold as a Black horror movie and nothing else. Like they didn't even know how to make a good horror movie. It feels amateur and low budget at times. The story doesn't even make much sense. I could really tear this movie apart as a horror fan. But there is no point. The movie pretty much sucks. Yes Keith David is still ok in the movie. But this is one movie he should have walked away from.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
The Inheritance -

The Inheritance is something I've never seen or can't remember seeing before. It's a Black horror movie. The movie actually has a token White couple in it. And of course being a horror movie you can guess what happens to them. But I think the movie was sold as a Black horror movie and nothing else. Like they didn't even know how to make a good horror movie. It feels amateur and low budget at times. The story doesn't even make much sense. I could really tear this movie apart as a horror fan. But there is no point. The movie pretty much sucks. Yes Keith David is still ok in the movie. But this is one movie he should have walked away from.
I'd really like to see horror films that aren't filled with white people. So when I tried to watch it I wanted it to be good, but yeah. The acting was poor, the dialogue was bad, etc. Just one among many bad C horror movies.

Beloved is a great horror flic, though I doubt you'll get many of its fans to say it is. :)
Old 09-26-2016, 03:41 PM
fanged menace

just rewatched the abc`s of death, over all i enjoy the anthology, ashamedly i prefer the sillier segments. although my favorite is d for dogfight.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:05 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post

31 (2016)

"Five carnival workers are kidnapped and held hostage in an abandoned, Hell-like compound where they are forced to participate in a violent game, the goal of which is to survive twelve hours against a gang of sadistic clowns."

I didn't think I'd like this, but it was surprisingly decent. The first act was poorly directed, written and edited, but it got better later. It was obvious that quite a bit had to be cut out to get an R rating, so maybe the uncut version would fix some of the pacing issues in the first 30 minutes. It's certainly not good entertainment, but it's gritty and brutal enough to be fun.

6/10
Thank you for doing the dirty jobs, like reviewing R. Zombie films for us. I can never get past the horror of the dialogue of the regular characters. It's like, how do you know when you're in hell, if that's all there is?

Old 09-26-2016, 04:12 PM
ventricle

Pacific Rim (2013)
8/10

Watched it again. Such a fun film. It's really good at being what it is. There's not a lot of depth in characters, or the science, or the plot... no poorly done pretense to be something it's not; it's just a fun sci-fi fantasy ride. Best looking giant monsters I've even seen on film.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 AM
Evil Dead

PERFUME (2006). Lush photography, costumes etc and a pretty intriguing story line about a Guy who is blessed (or cursed) with a unique sense of smell.
Thought this was really well made, but ending was just stupid and truly takes away the impact of the rest of the film. ***

Tags
movie