Old 02-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Shade
Japanese Horror

In my opinion the Japanese make some of the most disturbing horror out there. I mean you have Ichi the Killer, Battle Royale, Versus, Evil Dead Trap, the Ringu movies, Another Heaven...okay...I hated that last one but other than that they have some of the best titles out there. What think you guys?
Old 02-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Banned

as far as Japanese movies go, the Kurosawas (Akira and Kiyoshi) are the best. Akira Kurosawa is far, far better IMO, but Kiyoshi Kurosawa does the best of the Japanese Horror (Kaïro has a pretty good spot on my top 50 list). Takashi Miike is good, too, but at times he goes too much for being weird or artsy or just 'out there' and not enough for entertainment. He's effective either way, Visitor Q did a good job of making me uncomfortable in a couple spots, but it wasn't entertaining. His best work was, again IMO, Ichi the Killer. Ringu is great, too. It is, like Paradise Lost, a placeholder for my top movie list (it was at 25, then 50. It's not on the list now, but if I took a movie off somewhere for whatever reason, it would temporarily get that spot). There are some great movies that I don't consider horror, but are close, too. Battle Royale is great, one of the best movies I've ever seen, and Versus, which could easily be called horror but has a kind of ingenious way of defying categorization, is almost the anti-Miike, in that it seems to aim completely away from being artsy or taking its self seriously at all, and goes straight to being awesome. A lot of movies are like that, but I've yet to see one do it as well as Versus.

Man, I just went all over the place there. Try and sort all that out if you want. There's a lot of BAAAD Japanese horror movies out there, too, but I chose to ignore them for now.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Evil Dead

Japs ROCK.....

nah but for real I fucking love japanese horror have been a fan of it for years...

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Banned

one thing that irks me....people seem to talk about movies from Japan like it's a genre. Not a big complaint, just a little thing that annoys me
Old 02-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Now she has us.

after joing these forums, I've just got into Jap Horror, and I'm pretty impressed by the few that I've seen so far, Audition, Dark Water and Double Vision. There's quite a few on my list I'll be getting soon.... Versus and the Ringu films etc.

:)
Old 08-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Banned

Jap Horror...the new way to look at horror!

With films like The Eye, Ju-on...Three coming out of Japan, the future of true horror finally looks brighter!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

dark water, st john's wort etc...
Old 08-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Banned

St. Johns is a bit campy, but well done I suppose. the Phone is creepy. Watch out for the Pang borthers, they put out great stuff, Ringu...Ju-on.. Also, Suicide Circle was great
Old 08-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Fool's follow

Send a message via Yahoo to feral cat
Re: Jap Horror...the new way to look at horror!

Quote:
Originally posted by TrueFan
With films like The Eye, Ju-on...Three coming out of Japan, the future of true horror finally looks brighter!
Only 3? ... hmm ... what are you a true fan of again???

The Eye a Jap film?

I like you your funny!:D

ispitonyourmovie.com

REVIEWS

isoymAsia

Forum
Old 08-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Darkshade

I guess it ain't always too easy to recognize the country at first (I had some problems myself in the beginning) bu there is a truth to it. I would not say that Japan is the only one, but for us westeners who has grown really tired of the so called Horror movies (most of them only medicore Thrillers) that gets poured out of Hollywood, the entire Asian horror movie production has proven (in my opinion) to be an Eye opener... The first time in 15 years I have actually been scared by a movie was when I wached Ju-On the first time (In a dark room with lots of sound :)

There is just one thing I can't stand with it... Why the f''' can't Hollywood keep theire ugly hands off the good movies? They wreked Ringu, and here the other day I heared a rumor thet they are planning a remake of Ju-On!!!

Pleas... Someone... Put that rumor to shame by telling me it isn't so!!!

But, anyway... The asian horror movies rock (not only the japanese)

Darkshade