Old 01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
July 18, 2008

Guys, don't hate me, but I have to agree with GorePhobia and ChronoGrl... this movie is lacking tremendously. I know I'm a "newb", so my opinion doesn't mean shit, but in all honesty, this is very overrated.

Everything I've read is like, "One of the greatest of all time!", "Just as good as Friday the 13th!!", "The greatest slasher flick in the past 20 years!!", "Unforgettable!!"...

... so, being a die-hard horror fan, I was like, "Sweeeeet, I must buy this movie. I won't even bother renting it... I'll just BUY the damn thing."

Here's where I went wrong.

I'll admit, it was $10.00 at Wal-Mart, so I thought I'd just go ahead and purchase it blindly. When I went home and popped it in, I was hyped to the max, and then I sat waiting PATIENTLY for something cool to happen. It never did.

The deaths are COOL, I'll give it that, and although it pains me to be this brutally honest (I'm just being honest, guys), this movie isn't very impressive.

I can name a DOZEN films better than this... High Tension... Hills Have Eyes... so on and so forth. I know the budget is totally different, but come on, it's still fair to compare.

And the humor was very dry. It's like a comedian not getting a laugh and all you hear are crickets. I didn't laugh one time... and I WANTED to love this movie. I actually TRIED HARD... it's not like I popped it in with a shitty attitude... I was very enthusiastic about it!!

It kills me to say it... but 1/5.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
I still haven't seen this, I want to. But I really, really, REALLY dislike the Friday the 13th movies other than part 6. I fear it may be too similar to those.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
you need to check out his follow-up Spiral which hits selected cities at the beginning of Feb. and drops on DVD February 19th.

It is a taught indie thriller without gore or tits, but you'll dig it. Adam is a talented man and this film shows off his range.
I'm highly anticipating Spiral. Saw the Press Release for it, and I can't wait! Excellent packaging for the DVD, too.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to AmericanManiac Send a message via AIM to AmericanManiac Send a message via Skype™ to AmericanManiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlewood View Post
I know I'm a "newb", so my opinion doesn't mean shit, but in all honesty, this is very overrated.
You're right, you opinion doesn't mean shit :D , Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
And the humor was very dry. It's like a comedian not getting a laugh and all you hear are crickets. I didn't laugh one time... and I WANTED to love this movie.
Is this because you don't have a very good sense of humor :confused:
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Guys, don't hate me, but I have to agree with GorePhobia and ChronoGrl... this movie is lacking tremendously. I know I'm a "newb", so my opinion doesn't mean shit, but in all honesty, this is very overrated.

Everything I've read is like, "One of the greatest of all time!", "Just as good as Friday the 13th!!", "The greatest slasher flick in the past 20 years!!", "Unforgettable!!"...

... so, being a die-hard horror fan, I was like, "Sweeeeet, I must buy this movie. I won't even bother renting it... I'll just BUY the damn thing."

Here's where I went wrong.

I'll admit, it was $10.00 at Wal-Mart, so I thought I'd just go ahead and purchase it blindly. When I went home and popped it in, I was hyped to the max, and then I sat waiting PATIENTLY for something cool to happen. It never did.

The deaths are COOL, I'll give it that, and although it pains me to be this brutally honest (I'm just being honest, guys), this movie isn't very impressive.

I can name a DOZEN films better than this... High Tension... Hills Have Eyes... so on and so forth. I know the budget is totally different, but come on, it's still fair to compare.

And the humor was very dry. It's like a comedian not getting a laugh and all you hear are crickets. I didn't laugh one time... and I WANTED to love this movie. I actually TRIED HARD... it's not like I popped it in with a shitty attitude... I was very enthusiastic about it!!

It kills me to say it... but 1/5.
Don't be afraid to speak your mind here....most of us won't berate you. I surely didn't think this was the "best" horror movie to come out recently....the humor was a bit sophomoric for my taste but it was so refreshing to see a non-CGI horror movie with some great kills.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I surely didn't think this was the "best" horror movie to come out recently....the humor was a bit sophomoric for my taste but it was so refreshing to see a non-CGI horror movie with some great kills.
That's exactly it. I am so tired of all the CGI that it was REALLY nice to see one that didn't rely on that. Its just fun. And it doesn't really try to be anything else really.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to chaibill
I bought Hatchet from Bestbuy was $6 on sale. I liked it but felt the run time was a little short. Also some of the gore effects looked like they were used more than once(blood hitting tree) but maybe that was a "wink and a nod " to 80's flicks. But the end was good too. "About as classic as that fade you had in high school."
Definitely want to see Spiral.
DOG SOLDIERS
SAW, THE OTHERS

THE EXORCIST, 28 DAYS LATER, 28 weeks later
PSYCHO, FRIDAY THE 13th movie series
Martyrs, DAWN OF THE DEAD
Old 11-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Crave More Gore

I love the death scenes, especially the pop top, this movie was extremely funny and original, it really suprised me I got it for $5 at a bargain shop a few monthes back.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Undead

Easily one of the most dissapointing films i've seen in years. I blame most of that to overhyping but also it was by no means over the top or realistic with the gore. For a movie that is an homage and an addition to a subgenre with just about more films than any others Hatchet is completly unable to deliver or top majority of the '80's slasher films.
3. Boogeyman Will Get You
4. Tenebre
5. Curse of Frankenstein
6. Dawn of the Dead
7. Dead Alive
8. Man Bites Dog
9. Body Snatcher
10. Twins of Evil
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Photographer View Post
Easily one of the most dissapointing films i've seen in years. I blame most of that to overhyping ....
^^ sums up what I think of this flick, not to mention the dire terribly written characters that just weren't funny.

Gutterballs was a more effective homage to the 80s slashers IMO.