Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Compilations and Pastimes

Old 02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Great post Rosh...and thanks for the link to Edison's version. Hadn't seen it in quite awhile, nice to give it another look.

By the way, if anyone happens to know the name of the movie NE mentioned, please let us know. I'd also love to give it a look.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Cranky

I'll try to do some research... I think it was part of IFC on demand.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Cranky

Cactus may have located this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102545/

I've ordered the dvd from Amazon so the mystery may be solved soon.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Cactus may have located this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102545/

I've ordered the dvd from Amazon so the mystery may be solved soon.
Great!

There are some other films that I missed earlier:o...

Flesh for Frankenstein aka Andy Warhol's Frankenstein (1973):
Perhaps one of the most controversial Frankenstein movies from the 1970s is Paul Morrissey's this camp classic, Udo Kier playing the Baron, a bizarre but brilliant scientist who creates a male and female zombie in hopes of breeding a superior race. Joe Dallesandro plays the handyman who attempts to thwart the Baron's mad dream.

Another notable work is Terror of Frankenstein (1976); a widely ignored entry in the Frankenstein filmography, this Irish-Swedish production directed by Calvin Floyd, is probably the one adaptation of Shelley's novel that can honestly claim to be faithful to the original. From its beginning in an Arctic setting, it manages to incorporate the narrative framework. Quite oddly for a 1970s horror movie, Terror of Frankenstein focuses on the characters' psychological development rather than on action and bloodshed. The movie lacks tension and frightening horror elements & thus completely fails to create an entertaining adaptation, mostly because it just translates the novel page by page into a screenplay.
Often cited as a remake of Bride of Frankenstein, The Bride (1985) is more of a sequel to James Whale's 1935 classic. This adaptation directed by Franc Roddam & stars rocker & former singer of internationally renowned band 'Police' Sting as Dr. Charles Frankenstein. A love triangle between Doctor, Monster, and Bride provides the film's conflict.

One of the most interesting adaptations of Shelley's novel is Frankenstein Unbound (1990), directed by B-movie king Roger Corman and based on a novel by science fiction author Brian W. Aldiss, published in 1975. In this reconstruction of Frankenstein a time traveler meets both Victor Frankenstein and Mary Shelley.
In 1994, actor-director Kenneth Branagh made Mary Shelley's Frankenstein where legendary Hollywood icon Robert De Niro played the role of the monster.

Last edited by roshiq; 03-02-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Hammers Curse of Frankenstein has always been the definitive Frankenstein version for me, Peter Cushing is the best Baron.

Good work Roshiq putting all this together, really enjoyed reading it.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM
For Vendetta

March 18 isn't just National Green Beer Hangover Day, it''s also the 100th anniversary of what many regard as the first horror film -- Thomas Edison's adaptation of Mark Shelley's Frankenstein.

And to celebrate, BearManor Media has just released a book on the film's making.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, author Frederick C. Wiebel Jr. talks about how he came to write an entire book on the subject of Edison's 13-minute film, which cost just 488 dollars to make and three or four days to shoot before its release in 1910. But the most important piece of info that Wiebel's uncovered may be a way for horror fans to view a DVD of the film, which was long thought lost.

In the process of writing the book, Wiebel, "discovered the film's one surviving print and arranged for its restoration and release on DVD. In his book, which is available in bookstores, from online sites like Amazon.com or directly from Wiebel at [email protected], he explains how "Frankenstein" fans can obtain the DVD."

Well, at least now you know what to get the Frankenstein Fan Who Has Everything for their birthday.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...51c4104a8a0f36
Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
mostly ghostly?

Wow, Roshiq. Wonderful article, and thanks again for taking the time to put that together.

I've always loved that Edison version of Frankenstein.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Last month I submitted the article in a popular local English newspaper The Daily Star through a friend. The newspaper has many additional weekly supplementary & magazines, so we thought there it would get the chance to share with the local fans here. As I work 6 days a week so I couldn't manage the time to go by myself for the submission. So a very good friend of mine who works as a sub-editor in a local Bangla newspaper collect both the soft & hard copies of the article from me & gave that to a sub-editor of the Daily Star. And meantime I went for my vacation on abroad. After my return last night I asked my friend whatever the progress of publication. He told me that after some official discussions & meetings they came to this conclusion..."We have searched many reliable online sources but nowhere had we found any related writings or discussions regarding the matter. As nowhere in the world have celebrated this so called moment of turning Frankenstein 100 in Silver Screen, so it most probably not that much worthwhile to talk about. But the good thing is while we were looking for some related writings we realized & feel to go for a HORROR GENRE issue in sometime near future. There are lots of sites, forums & articles on the net where we see that actually people have a great deal of interest about the genre. So we already assign our own stuffs regarding forming a good issue of horror films around the globe."

Last edited by roshiq; 04-18-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Cranky

Bummer your article didn't get published.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Last month I submitted the article in a popular local English newspaper The Daily Star through a friend. The newspaper has many additional weekly supplementary & magazines, so we thought there it would get the chance to share with the local fans here. As I work 6 days a week so I couldn't manage the time to go by myself for the submission. So a very good friend of mine who works as a sub-editor in a local Bangla newspaper collect both the soft & hard copies of the article from me & gave that to a sub-editor of the Daily Star. And meantime I went for my vacation on abroad. After my return last night I asked my friend whatever the progress of publication. He told me that after some official discussions & meetings they came to this conclusion..."We have searched many reliable online sources but nowhere had we found any related writings or discussions regarding the matter. As nowhere in the world have celebrated this so called moment of turning Frankenstein 100 in Silver Screen, so it most probably not that much worthwhile to talk about. But the good thing is while we were looking for some related writings we realized & feel to go for a HORROR GENRE issue in sometime near future. There are lots of sites, forums & articles on the net where we see that actually people have a great deal of interest about the genre. So we already assign our own stuffs regarding forming a good issue of horror films around the globe."

If you would've added a few topless pictures of Frankenstein or found him falling out a club with a 'mystery blonde' at 2am I'm sure you would've had much more success. Unfortunatly there isn't much room for for anything beyond that in newspapers over here, particulaly The Daily Star.

Unlucky on not getting published, it probably would've been the only time I would've considered parting with money for a copy of the paper too. It has much more value than the usual sex scandal crap we get force fed over here, but unfortuantly thats all people seem to want and thats what The Daily Star give them.

Last edited by Straker; 04-18-2010 at 06:57 AM.