Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-25-2006, 02:27 AM
Evil Dead

bootlegs on eBay

I ordered Shutter, Ju-On, The Eye, and Dark Water on eBay from high-volume sellers with very high ratings. The 4 DVDs arrived yesterday, and all appear to be pirated, bootlegs, or whatever you call it.

The Eye has no barcode on the DVD case, and I can't find the other 3 barcodes in DVDProfiler. Worse, each of the covers is very similar but not identical to the covers shown in DVDProfiler.

So much for buying off eBay.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer666 View Post
I ordered Shutter, Ju-On, The Eye, and Dark Water on eBay from high-volume sellers with very high ratings. The 4 DVDs arrived yesterday, and all appear to be pirated, bootlegs, or whatever you call it.

The Eye has no barcode on the DVD case, and I can't find the other 3 barcodes in DVDProfiler. Worse, each of the covers is very similar but not identical to the covers shown in DVDProfiler.

So much for buying off eBay.

what i would do is contact the seller and tell them you are reporting them to ebay if they dont refund your money. (if you're absolutely sure about the bootleg status)
Old 11-25-2006, 03:05 AM
Evil Dead

I would do that if I was sure about the bootleg status. Thing is, I have no idea how to be sure. I've been looking all over the web for some way to tell without any luck.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
I would do that if I was sure about the bootleg status. Thing is, I have no idea how to be sure. I've been looking all over the web for some way to tell without any luck.

how much did you pay and what is the quality of the DVDs and packaging ?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:33 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok View Post
how much did you pay and what is the quality of the DVDs and packaging ?
I haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet, but the quality of the packaging is impressive. One of them was about $10 (Shutter). I think The Eye, Ju-On, and Dark Water were about $9/each including shipping. I got The Eye, Ju-On, and Dark Water from SunDevilDVD.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Banned

9$ each is ok if they include shipping ..
even bootlegs are around $5 in the chinese malls.
(if you dont have any around you - then the extra couple of bucks it the price of convenience)

the nice thing about digital media is that the bootlegs are usually as good as the origionals .. so its kind of transparent really
Old 11-26-2006, 04:27 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by omcdave View Post
i told you were to go for movies try them and this wont happen :)
I'll look at mr. international, but the places I bought from had better ratings. I suspect that all mr. international sells are bootlegs.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by omcdave View Post
no they dont why would i tell you to buy from them if they were going to give you shit...they are asian market movies not us so they are not like we have here and do not come with a hard case...you use your own...but they come with nice art work and an outer sleeve with art work on it . i have over 200 from them and god one bad one ...voice , so try it.
I may give them a try, but everything I've read about identifying Asian bootlegs says that sending them without a case is a clear sign of bootlegging. After all, when one buys from HKFlix, YesAsia, CD-WOW, etc., cases are always included. I'm not asking you to defend them - just being cautious.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
I may give them a try, but everything I've read about identifying Asian bootlegs says that sending them without a case is a clear sign of bootlegging. After all, when one buys from HKFlix, YesAsia, CD-WOW, etc., cases are always included. I'm not asking you to defend them - just being cautious.

cases arent included because its cheaper to ship that way.

i've seen them receiving the boots in the chinese stores in the mall by where i worked.
they get them on a spindle with the flattened case wraps and inserts .. then they put them into cases - right in the store !
they keep getting raided and busted but they pop right back up a couple of days later.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Evil Dead

Well, I plan to give mr. international a try as soon as I can get my region free DVD player working. The HDMI switcher I ordered is supposed to be delivered today, so I should finally get to hook up the player.