Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Evil Dead

here's one for you, Avenger...what about Ted Nicolaou

He did the Subsecies movies, Remote, and was DP on some of Charles Band's early stuff. I actually think his stuff is pretty atmospheric to be so low budget.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:53 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Not a fan. I loved the first Subspecies but they couldn't work that magic a second, third, or fourth time. I'd like to have the first on DVD, I'm not sure if it's out though. Did you see Vampire Journals? It was a spinoff of Subspecies.

I'll agree that he does capture a good atmosphere though. But then again, all those films are shot in Romania.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Evil Dead

I thought Vampire Journals was cool the way it brought in the subspecies characters. It had mucho crappy cover art, though. I dig his lighting, lots of blues and yellows. Probably comes from his stint as a DP. I agree that the Subspecies aren't classics, but better than almost everything else released by Full Moon, and they look look lots better.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Yes, the first Subspecies was one of Full Moon's best releases ever. Other favorites from them include Castle Freak, Puppermaster, and The Dead Hate the Living.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Scares Little Kids

The first two Subspecies movies were released on DVD (unfortunately their both out of print and were both region 2)

You can see the covers for all the subspecies dvd's that were out at one time (there is one on there that was cancelled)

http://www.angelfire.com/darkside/vl...cies.html#dvds

A campaign was also started to try to help get the first 3 a region 1 release... there's a link to it in my signature. Right now their just mainly trying to see how much of an interest there would be for the dvds.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Cryptkeeper

I'd like to see the original one re-released on DVD. I'd pick it up. I'm not big on the sequels though.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Scares Little Kids

At one time they were supposed to release a box set with all of the movies in (region 1) but they were waiting until they finished Subspecies 5 ....
Old 01-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Cryptkeeper

Are they still doing part 5?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Scares Little Kids

i think eventually they'd like to. Full moon kind of disappeared for a while (became shadow entertaiment) then Shadow disappeared it seemed....

last I heard was that Denice and Ted were buying the rights (i think they got them but not positive) From Charles Band for the Subspecies movies (that was back in november). So it looks like they still want to make it ;) Anders is supposed to be in a play starting sometime next month though ...

It does look like Denice and Ted still want to go ahead with the movie though at some time in the future.

and the other week i found out full moon does have a new site up called Full Moon Direct

http://www.fullmoondirect.com/index.html
Old 01-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Cryptkeeper

I noticed the new website a few days ago. You'll have to keep us updated on Part 5 though.

They have to wait for Anders though. It wouldn't be Subspecies w/o him.