Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies

Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Scares Little Kids

Classic Supernatural Anthology Films?

Hi,

I've been looking all over for a good list of horror anthologies. However, most people just give me modern ones, or ones that are more camp than horror.

Can anyone recommend to me some great anthology horror films from 1980 and before (I'll also take modern suggestions if they're actually good)?

The classic anthology that sparked all this interest was Mario Bava's "Black Sabbath." The atmospheric horror played in very well with the traditional jumps strewn throughout the film.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Cranky

Dead of Night
Tales of Terror
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors

for a start.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Dead of Night
Tales of Terror
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors

for a start.
Thanks for the recommendations :D

I have already seen Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, and I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of the film Dead of Night, which is one of my favorite anthologies so far.

I'm guessing there aren't a whole lot of "good" ones out there, but I'm always on the look out for a horror gem.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Evil Dead

There's a bunch of British ones for some reason. One I remember liking was called Torture Garden, although I can't remember why, it's been too long! Asylum, another British one, is not all bad. There is a few that kind of annoyed me, like From Beyond the Grave, that one is like Dr Terror's House of Horrors but somehow not nearly as good.

My all time fav classic horror anthology is not a British movie, it a Japanese one called Kwaidan. Fantastic, gorgeous movie, it's not a conventionally ghoulish movie like the British ones. Eventually Criterion will release it on Blu Ray for sure. It is in their catalog, and it is such a beautifully filmed movie that it is well worth waiting for that. It's sort of like Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, another terrific anthology, while only half horror, is well, well worth watching.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:06 AM
Evil Dead

You might also enjoy ASYLUM and TALES FROM THE CRYPT (both 1972).
Old 03-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Little Boo

Spirits of the Dead

Kwaidan
Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Evil Dead

The Vault of Horror based on the EC Comics series was pretty good. Plus one of the stories features Doctor Who's Tom Baker!

Roger Corman's Tales of Terror was fun and stars Basil Rathbone, Vincent Price and Peter Lorre so it's definitely worth checking out.

Jane Fonda starred in Spirits of the Dead based on Edgar Allan Poe short stories.

Dead of Night is fantastic especially the ventriloquist's dummy story.

Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are both in The House That Dripped Blood which was written by Robert Bloch.

Flesh and Fantasy starring Edward G. Robinson is worth checking out.

Vincent Price stars in all three stories as well as narratives Twice-Told Tales.

Tales That Witness Madness starred Donald Pleasence, Joan Collins and Kim Novak.

Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasence were also in The Uncanny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorwimp View Post
The classic anthology that sparked all this interest was Mario Bava's "Black Sabbath." The atmospheric horror played in very well with the traditional jumps strewn throughout the film.
Black Sabbath is excellent. Boris Karloff was incredible in The Wurdalak and the old ladies corpse in The Drop of Water was gruesome looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
One I remember liking was called Torture Garden, although I can't remember why, it's been too long!
I remember enjoying Torture Garden and the casting was phenomenal; Burgess Meredith, Jack Palance, and Peter Cushing!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Little Boo

The Dunwich Horror was creepy and pretty decent. Think it was Sandra Dee and Dean Stockwell. Good Lovecraft movies are tough to find.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Evil Dead

anthologies and puppets

Yes, Dead of Night has the original "ventriloquist's dummy" story.
Speaking of those, Devil Doll (not The Devil Doll, which is a totally different movie) is pretty good. Let me see if I can remember some of the review I read:
"The doll Hugo is scary enough just sitting there. But when he starts to walk and talk on his own, and threaten people with a knife, he's real nightmare material."
Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 AM
Evil Dead

the house that dripped blood

When the new york times ran an obituary for Ingrid Pitt, they headed it with a picture of her in a low cut dress from the house that dripped blood. Good choice.