Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-14-2009, 05:02 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posher778 View Post
Getting close to finishing Dead Space... I'll be very sad when it ends. I love this game.
I had to put this one down. It was too scawwy. :o I loaned it to a coworker and I hope he enjoys it.

That being said, I think that Dead Space is one of the most gorgeously gruesome games that I have ever played. Wish I wasn't such a pussy. :o

I was playing Fable II for a while but, well, as you can see my rant in that thread, it frustrated me to a point of putting it down. There's very little substance or challenge in it. HUGE disappointment.

NOW I'm replaying BioShock with a higher difficulty level. Reminds me of how gorgeous and horrifying this game is. One of the best games I've ever played.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I had to put this one down. It was too scawwy. :o I loaned it to a coworker and I hope he enjoys it.

That being said, I think that Dead Space is one of the most gorgeously gruesome games that I have ever played. Wish I wasn't such a pussy. :o

I was playing Fable II for a while but, well, as you can see my rant in that thread, it frustrated me to a point of putting it down. There's very little substance or challenge in it. HUGE disappointment.

NOW I'm replaying BioShock with a higher difficulty level. Reminds me of how gorgeous and horrifying this game is. One of the best games I've ever played.
Please play Dead Space until the end. Best video game storyline ever... Truly horrific. Incredible finale too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 03-16-2009, 04:18 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Please play Dead Space until the end. Best video game storyline ever... Truly horrific. Incredible finale too.
I think you have some wanderlust in your eyes there champ, it's passable considering it has wooden emotionless characters and a level of predictably along the same lengths as a Disney movie.

It's certain a gorgeous game, with all it's flickering lighting and well designed monsters. It's also very satisfying with it's high tech weapons and time slowing powers.

Though on the topic of it's story I found the movie/comic thing they released for it to be pretty entertaining the psychological elements were more shocking there I thought. You should check that out if you get a chance Posher.

In other news a just dusted off RE5, it was OK. The opening section is never really matched though, some nice set piece battles and some huge boss fights, in the end though it kind of just putters along with feeling truly compelling or horrifying. I miss the scary old days of the haunted house.

Last edited by Azazel005; 03-16-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel005 View Post
I miss the scary old days of the haunted house.

Amen brother.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Revisiting an old friend

Battle for Middle Earth: Rise of the Witchking

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Evil Puppy

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting
Peggle
Worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel005 View Post
I think you have some wanderlust in your eyes there champ, it's passable considering it has wooden emotionless characters and a level of predictably along the same lengths as a Disney movie.

It's certain a gorgeous game, with all it's flickering lighting and well designed monsters. It's also very satisfying with it's high tech weapons and time slowing powers.

Though on the topic of it's story I found the movie/comic thing they released for it to be pretty entertaining the psychological elements were more shocking there I thought. You should check that out if you get a chance Posher.

In other news a just dusted off RE5, it was OK. The opening section is never really matched though, some nice set piece battles and some huge boss fights, in the end though it kind of just putters along with feeling truly compelling or horrifying. I miss the scary old days of the haunted house.

I can dig both types of horror games, the brooding atmospheric chillers and the action packed monster slaughtering simulators. There's the occasional game that crosses into both territories (RE: Nemesis really pulled the series from the creepy zombie game and injected tons of action IMO) but I try not to judge a game by the genre it's in, rather, if I have fun with it or not. D was creepy as hell but it was lacking a bit of the interactivity I like with my games, Clocktower had a similar situation going. Do I like those games? Sure, they had some really cool moments but I won't be playing through them again anytime soon.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 PM
That fucking Guy...

The Thing - PS2.
I never bothered finishing it back in the day, got just past the first boss type thing as I recall...however, I find I'm a bit more patient now, so I'm giving it another go.
Forgot how fucking tense this game can be...it's really atmospheric and works as a great "sequel" to Carpenters 80's version.
Even though a little dated, I'd definately recommend a playthrough for anyone that wants to experience a pretty scary game.

Good stuff.

Just picked up Ultimate Spider-Man, and something called "Vexx" that I know nothing about (again, random "not so well known" stuff on ps2) which I might play around with a bit today, but I'll probably see The Thing through to the end.

- B.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Soundtrack to Rambo

still trying to build up the uno rank.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
I heard it was the lamest, most unfrightening RE game so far. I lost interest.

In other news, I bought Bioshock! I'm starting it soon.
Here's a little snippet from a quasi-review that might make a little sense.

"Playing through it again with Kiko, I'm still trying to figure out how the game isn't scary. I keep reading that it isn't, and everyone seems to agree with this thesis, but no-one ever says why. It's true that the game relies less on what you might call "Pavlovian" horror - it doesn't ring the expected bells. There is no haunted house, for example. There is a marked lack of jack-o-lanterns, and black cats are rare. When I run out of ammunition and five men are trying to kill me - one of whom has no head but rather a lashing, six foot trunk of slick vermin, I know that I personally find that unsettling."
Old 03-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Evil Dead

I'll answer the question fielded in that quote Des. It lacks genuine thrills not because it fails to lean on "pavlovian" conditioning cliche's but because it's elements both allow you to kill too efficiently and the impact of it's monsters lack any sort lasting fearful impression after the thirtieth one you massacre. Also the shift from "Survival" to "Offense" makes you characters seem more like highly trained spec op zombie killers rather then victims fighting for their lives. Not necesarily BAD but not scary.

The exampled cited, I never once had to stare down one of those infected men whose parasite had morphed the mans head into a lashing tendril without a copiuos amount of ammo and explosives at my fingers. In fact I took on three or for of those things at once on many occaisons. The first time it was perhaps a bit of "FUCK what is that?" but then it's just one zombie against my shotgun. After that they pop up I waste them, busines as usual.

At times it is scary, the game can do a good job of keeping monsters popping up all around you and placing a tense sort of pressure on you, in full context though it doesn't scare you, becuase you just kill so many monsters and so efficiently.

Its not to say I didn't like it, and I truly love mercenaries mode, but it's not scary. Not in a condictioned response sense, nor in any genuine tension building desperate way that the first three delivered. I will add though virtually all of that applies to Dead Space in my opinion as well. In fact Isaac Hayes is even mroe efficient at killing with his time slowing powers and wide array of lethal useful weapons.