Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-24-2015, 03:17 PM
MichaelMyers's Avatar
MichaelMyers MichaelMyers is offline
Horror Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Haddonfield, Illinois
Posts: 7,702
Exclamation Confederate-sympathizer guns down church-goers!

http://myfox8.com/2015/06/19/charles...ling-9-people/

Quote:
CHARLESTON, S.C. — Dylann Roof has confessed to authorities to shooting and killing nine people this week at a historically black church in Charleston, S.C., two law enforcement officials said Friday.

One of the officials said that Roof, who is white, told investigators that he wanted to start a race war.

He himself bought the .45-caliber handgun used in the shooting last April at a Charleston gun store, according to the two officials.

Earlier, a senior law enforcement official had indicated that Roof’s father bought him a Glock firearm for his birthday.
So what's prison going to be like for him?
__________________




I command by the power of Christ and the Gospel for this evil spirit that is inside this man or woman to come forward now and to face the judgment of God.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-24-2015, 03:23 PM
TheBossInTheWall's Avatar
TheBossInTheWall TheBossInTheWall is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,800
Dunno. The only thing I know about prisons is from tv shows and 'let's shock the viewer' documentaries.
__________________
Faux News, telling you what you think you already know!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-24-2015, 04:04 PM
MichaelMyers's Avatar
MichaelMyers MichaelMyers is offline
Horror Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Haddonfield, Illinois
Posts: 7,702
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
Dunno. The only thing I know about prisons is from tv shows and 'let's shock the viewer' documentaries.
What say you of these people who want state flag reform.
__________________




I command by the power of Christ and the Gospel for this evil spirit that is inside this man or woman to come forward now and to face the judgment of God.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:58 PM
TheBossInTheWall's Avatar
TheBossInTheWall TheBossInTheWall is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
What say you of these people who want state flag reform.
Get the confederate flag out of any public space/vehicle/etc.
__________________
Faux News, telling you what you think you already know!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM
Jake.Ashworth's Avatar
Jake.Ashworth Jake.Ashworth is offline
No Tears Please...
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
Get the confederate flag out of any public space/vehicle/etc.
I agree and disagree. Its hard for me because I spent the majority of my life in the south and when I see the flag, it represents home, happiness, and good times. I understand some people have diluted it to mean other things, and it offends people. But removing it from all public spaces puts us one step closer to saying that the American flag offends foreigners so we should take it down from public spaces. The smell of certain colognes offend me, but I cant demand that everyone around me stops wearing them.

All of that aside I do support the removal from state run facilities, because the government should strive for unity. The flags should be removed, folded accordingly and put in museums to save for the future. Its a huge part of our heritage and to remove and forget about it would be as detrimental to our national heritage as telling migrants that they aren't allowed to dress in their native garb or speak their native language.

On another note, it should only be removed from state run facilities, any private company or private citizen should be able to fly it as they see fit. We have our freedoms and our liberties still and no matter who is offended, we should never sacrifice individual freedoms. If you don't approve of a company flying the flag, then find somewhere else to do business, hurt them in their pocket book but don't take away their freedoms.
__________________
Becoming a Killer (novel) ---- http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Kille...oming+a+killer

The People (short story) ---- http://www.inkitt.com/stories/10686

Fear Awakens (novel) ----- Currently in the works
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2015, 08:08 AM
MichaelMyers's Avatar
MichaelMyers MichaelMyers is offline
Horror Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Haddonfield, Illinois
Posts: 7,702
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
I agree and disagree. Its hard for me because I spent the majority of my life in the south and when I see the flag, it represents home, happiness, and good times. I understand some people have diluted it to mean other things, and it offends people. But removing it from all public spaces puts us one step closer to saying that the American flag offends foreigners so we should take it down from public spaces. The smell of certain colognes offend me, but I cant demand that everyone around me stops wearing them.

All of that aside I do support the removal from state run facilities, because the government should strive for unity. The flags should be removed, folded accordingly and put in museums to save for the future. Its a huge part of our heritage and to remove and forget about it would be as detrimental to our national heritage as telling migrants that they aren't allowed to dress in their native garb or speak their native language.

On another note, it should only be removed from state run facilities, any private company or private citizen should be able to fly it as they see fit. We have our freedoms and our liberties still and no matter who is offended, we should never sacrifice individual freedoms. If you don't approve of a company flying the flag, then find somewhere else to do business, hurt them in their pocket book but don't take away their freedoms.
Yes it seems there is a distinction between private display of the Confederacy and its display before govt. buildings. Reasoning there being that the govt. should not support slavery, period. But then should we tear down the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Mt. Rushmore, etc. since they were slaveholders too. I am happy to take $20 bills off peoples' hands bearing the image of Andrew Jackson, notorious slaveholder of Native Americans.

What do you say to those who invoke Nazis, and the fact that the Nazi flag is banned in Germany?
__________________




I command by the power of Christ and the Gospel for this evil spirit that is inside this man or woman to come forward now and to face the judgment of God.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 AM
horcrux2007's Avatar
horcrux2007 horcrux2007 is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
On another note, it should only be removed from state run facilities, any private company or private citizen should be able to fly it as they see fit. We have our freedoms and our liberties still and no matter who is offended, we should never sacrifice individual freedoms. If you don't approve of a company flying the flag, then find somewhere else to do business, hurt them in their pocket book but don't take away their freedoms.
I agree with this. The only time I would say to take it down would be if it's flown over some state or government-operated facility, but if it's a private business or person, they should be able to fly the flag if they want.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Jake.Ashworth's Avatar
Jake.Ashworth Jake.Ashworth is offline
No Tears Please...
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Yes it seems there is a distinction between private display of the Confederacy and its display before govt. buildings. Reasoning there being that the govt. should not support slavery, period. But then should we tear down the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Mt. Rushmore, etc. since they were slaveholders too. I am happy to take $20 bills off peoples' hands bearing the image of Andrew Jackson, notorious slaveholder of Native Americans.

What do you say to those who invoke Nazis, and the fact that the Nazi flag is banned in Germany?
Bloofer, I think this is part of the problem. The conception that the flag represents slavery or a want of it is vastly incorrect. The flag represented hundreds of differences in opinion about the way taxes should be handled and the governments roll in society along with a lot of other things. Slavery was a very small portion of what the south wanted. Most of which would have been excellent for the country. I honestly think the ideal would be changing the way people look at the flag instead of removing the flag entirely. We are slowly moving into the super PC nation where you have to walk on eggshells not to offend someone and if you don't its massively punishable. Its kind of scary, but I don't want to get to serious on here...
__________________
Becoming a Killer (novel) ---- http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Kille...oming+a+killer

The People (short story) ---- http://www.inkitt.com/stories/10686

Fear Awakens (novel) ----- Currently in the works
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Jake.Ashworth's Avatar
Jake.Ashworth Jake.Ashworth is offline
No Tears Please...
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,071
A for instance of my point. A school district somewhere up north just banned Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches because of fear that white bread was racist. That's a little blurred, they fear that because they have Hispanic students who wouldn't have encountered white bread culturally that instead they should be using something more culturally friendly to everyone. I think they are going to aim for pita bread. Regardless, this is just a drop of the moronic behavior being bred by the fear of offending anyone.
__________________
Becoming a Killer (novel) ---- http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Kille...oming+a+killer

The People (short story) ---- http://www.inkitt.com/stories/10686

Fear Awakens (novel) ----- Currently in the works
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM
ImmortalSlasher's Avatar
ImmortalSlasher ImmortalSlasher is offline
Immortal horror fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In a dark moonlit forest.
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
http://myfox8.com/2015/06/19/charles...ling-9-people/

So what's prison going to be like for him?
Permanent isolation or some super maximum place with little contact until the death penalty I would guess.

I don't see any way you get out of killing nine people in a church when those people actually let you sit in a Bible study group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
Get the confederate flag out of any public space/vehicle/etc.
I agree. From what I understand that flag and other southern flags have similar characteristics that point to the sort of stuff this guy believed in. There are a lot of things that aren't removed because they are so prominent in society. Monuments, statues, and buildings. But this is just a flag.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:52 AM.