Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Little Boo

Exclamation Is horror movie desensitization happening (Insidious v Psycho)?

Hi! Names bleubird, and I'm new here. I am doing a survey on Insidious (2010) versus Psycho (1960) and wondering why (if it is so -- feel free to disagree) current movies like Insidious are so much "scarier" than if I were to watch Psycho now. Because when Psycho was first released, it was the scariest thing around, and now it seems to be more of an iconic movie rather than the thriller it was.

So what do you think is causing this desensitization to horror films in particular? Or, it is occurring at all? Is it just the new technology, better soundtracks, etc?

survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/83BCYBQ
Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Evil Dead

Desensitization is definitely real.

My opinion: the majority of people find Insidious scarier because of the large amount of cheap jump scares. It isn't really any better or any scarier, you just feel tense continously because you're worried you're going to jump. American Psycho doesn't try this, and is scary in a more psychological, slow burning way that in time might have a bigger impact.

Last edited by favabeans; 07-08-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:20 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Modern horror has nothing on the classic and vintage. Movies back then knew how to build suspense, and make a good pay off. Sure they didn't get it right every time, but at least when they did get it right, they got it right!

When I first saw Insidious, it was good. I didn't hate it anyway, but likewise I didn't find it that memorable. Thinking back on it now I can't even remember too much of it. Psycho though? No comparison! The mystery, the suspense, the build up! It was a film to remember, and the twist ending is terrifying just from the implications! That such a thing could happen to a nice young man. It could happen to anyone, even you, and you would never know it. Insidious you need more belief in the supernatural to take it seriously, there's no twist or build up. They give us their monster, and let jump scares do the rest of the work.

As Favabeans said, it's just waiting to be scared because they use jump scares as their method of inducing fear. It's cheap and pathetic. It's like taking a ride through a haunted house. Movies aren't meant to be like haunted houses. They are stories, stories to be wrapped up in, with characters, twists, and sympathies for what's happening to make a movie memorable.

To answer your question, people when making a movie today rely too much on the special effects to scare people, to show off that they could, they don't stop to think if they should. It's like the movie Avatar (with the blue aliens). Fantastic effects, over done story that people don't care enough about to follow, and only continue watching because of the pretty colors flashing on screen.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:49 PM
Evil Dead

The only time I was really scared by a movie was when I was about 12 or so and watching Pet Cemetary at 2am in a silent house in the dark with the boiler in the basement making noise. And also when Big Bertha does the "and she looked like this!" moment in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. I'm not desensitized, it just that to me horror movies and novels do not scare me. Like any movie they can be fun, engaging, intense, etc. Jump scares may catch me once in a while, but its not really being scared, but surprised/startled.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Scholar

For more, a horror movie is the scariest the first time I watch it, because there is an element of unknowing and mystery. Once I know how a movie ends, it becomes much less scary for me.

As someone who is much younger then a lot of the other forum users, I disagree. Most horror movies these days are cheap cookie cutter slashers or found footage trash.

I prefer 70s and 80s horror, movies that are older then I am, because they put in the effort to make them great. Legend of Hell House, The Haunting Shinning, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and many of the older movies are better then the stuff that is coming out these days.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
I prefer 70s and 80s horror, movies that are older then I am, because they put in the effort to make them great. Legend of Hell House, The Haunting Shinning, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and many of the older movies are better then the stuff that is coming out these days.
I think you'll find a lot of us like that era the most too.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:30 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleubird View Post
Hi! Names bleubird, and I'm new here. I am doing a survey on Insidious (2010) versus Psycho (1960) and wondering why (if it is so -- feel free to disagree) current movies like Insidious are so much "scarier" than if I were to watch Psycho now. Because when Psycho was first released, it was the scariest thing around, and now it seems to be more of an iconic movie rather than the thriller it was.

So what do you think is causing this desensitization to horror films in particular? Or, it is occurring at all? Is it just the new technology, better soundtracks, etc?

survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/83BCYBQ
Obviously, the amount of desensitization to specific types of stimuli corresponds to how much, and recently, it was experienced by an individual. If someone has viewed a lot of gore recently, they're highly desensitized to that specific stimuli.

But there are many different types of Horror film stimuli/experiences.

Therefore, I think a proposition that would separate Psycho-1960 from Insidious-2010 on a linear "desensitization" or "scary" scale would be illogical.

Those two films have similar and dissimilar Horror film aspects. What matters is what the individual has viewed before. An individual can be more scared by Psycho-1960 than Insidious-2010 if they are less familiar & less desensitized with the unique horror aspects of Psycho, and conversely more familiar/desensitized with the Insidious' horror aspects.

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-22-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:16 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Those two films have similar and dissimilar Horror film aspects. What matters is what the individual has viewed before. An individual can more scared by Psycho-1960 than Insidious-2010 if they are less familiar & less desensitized with the unique horror aspects of Psycho, and conversely more familiar/desensitized with the Insidious' horror aspects.
I think its a poor comparison as well, but because I find Insidious to be almost like a young adult horror film, its tame.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:34 AM
Evil Dead

2016 and Psycho is still a better movie than Insidious.

Desensitization is real,look at TWD for example,ten years ago that would have been too gruesome to show yet now its on the box every week for everyone to see.

But what modern movies lack is the style and atmosphere that the older classic movies have in abundance.Today it is all about sexy teens and gore.

Firstly i hate movies with teens in them,give me real people who i can like and not just lust after because they have a hot bod.And although i like gore the less is more comes into play.Take TCM for example,there is hardly a drop spilt yet it comes with such acclaim that its a video nasty,what it is is a masterfully crafted story.Something the modern directors need to learn from i feel.

Tags
compare, desensitization, insidious, psycho, survey